1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with lights on instrument panel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drummerJ99, Oct 4, 2013.

1. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all, seem to have forgotten my old credentials, so had to create a new account. Anyway have a 2006 Prius with 140,000 miles on it. I would consider it to have been taken care of.

Everything was going great till Saturday. Was coming back from taking trash off and all of a sudden it made a beep and 4-5 lights came on the dash. 2-3 of the lights in the book just say take it to Toyota dealer. Plan to take it to dealer today, however just wondering if anybody could give me estimate on what could be wrong and how much it should cost?

Haven't driven it since Saturday, drove it today to work to take to dealer and it seems to bog down a bit when taking off from a stop.

Anyway here's a pic of what lights are on.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to maintenance and troubleshooting from technical.

3. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have a scan tool, try getting the codes or see if you can get them from the dealer.

HTC Evo 3D

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is possible that the inverter coolant pump failed. This was the subject of a recall so if that has not been performed yet, the repair would be at no charge.

5. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long ago would that have been? I've had them do all recalls every time I've went but for most of the past 2 years I've actually taken it to a Non-Toyota shop for oil changes since it was closer to my house.

Unfortunately no tool to check codes. Is it ok to drive as is? I noticed this morning that the vent that's inside the car, the one on the passanger side back seat door frame. It was on for most of my 22 min drive this morning. Normally that only kicks on when it's blocked or really hot outside.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The inverter pump and steering recall was issued this year. I would take the car in and have it checked. If the fan is on for the battery, that means the battery is overheating. Again, have the car checked over. Ask the dealer to pull the codes that are logged, and get the codes from them. Then post the codes here on PC. You might be lucky and simply need the inverter pump which is free through the recall. I would not continue to drive the car, but rather get it checked out. If the inverter pump is bad, eventually you will fry the inverter. To replace that is a four digit cost. I have heard 4K, but can't confirm that.

7. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK thanks. Have appointment Monday morning, tried to get one for today and they were booked. Wish I would have called earlier and wouldn't have drove it to work today. So now just trying to figure out if I need to try and leave it here over the weekend and get a ride home, or if it's ok to drive home. Toyota dealership is halfway between home and work about 10 miles from both.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check for turbulence in the inverter reserve bottle. If the fluid is NOT moving in there when you are in ready mode, the pump is shot.

See this video for more details.

If the pump is working, then you may have trouble with the traction battery.

9. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well just got word from local Toyota Dealer. According to them it needs a new Hybrid battery. $3500. Have no clue what I'm gonna do. Can't afford that.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are companies that do refurbished batteries for around half that figure, also a battery from a wreck can serve well for around $500.
    It is also possible to rebuild your battery but this is a long process and needs some electrical skills.
    Putting your location in your avatar will help others guide you to possible sources of help. If you live in a CARB state it is possible your battery is still under guarantee.

John (Britprius)

11. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in Indiana, from what I can tell warranty was 8 yrs/100,000 miles. Gonna do some checking out and seeing if anyplace around does that kind of stuff but gonna guess closes will either be Indy or Louisville.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two