1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help With MAC

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by djasonw, Jul 31, 2005.

1. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have an HP 4L Laser printer (old) and a Brother 2040 laser printer (new) both running smoothly with Tiger using the generic CUPS drivers that come with Tiger - try using CUPS option in the printer set up.

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heheheehe... you MAC guys are so funny. I haven't a clue how to even do what you're saying. I actually called Geek Patrol and they're coming tomorrow. I lost my patience and really don't want to tinker with it any longer. I do like MACs but I much more adept at handling PCs. I feel so helpless!!!

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:177b1a3654]You should at least be able to network your Mac and PC. Ethernet is a whole heck of a lot faster than email...

And if you can't find any native HP drivers, the CUPS drivers support just about everything.[/font:177b1a3654]

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Its the old Apple habits, that mac is 3 yrs old and they want you to get a new one. Download the latest drivers from HP for the printer to that operating system. Most of the time, it is not HP's fault but Apple's fault in not providing program code specifics that HP needs to develop a driver. I would call Apple if you can't solve this, they are likely the culprits..good luck..Best Buy geek squad may have the solution !!

5. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This answer makes no sense to me at all - he has upgraded his older Mac to a newer OS and the HP drivers are not working - how would this suggest that he needs a new Mac?

3 years is not old for a Mac - it will run the latest system upgrade and will run it well. Apple has also provided open source drivers for third party products that work just fine while the third party manufacturers are writing new drivers etc.

One thing that is very useful on a Mac that most Windows users have learned to ignore is the built-in help system. If you search Mac Help for Printer set up, it will walk you through the process and suggest driver options for printer problems (including CUPS) like the one being discussed here. How is this an attempt to make you buy new Apple hardware??

6. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with fjef. This is not an Apple problem. I have the 15" half-dome iMac, which is about about 3 years old. I have no problems with it, and I am currently using an Epson Stylus Photo 785EPX printer which I got a year or two after the iMac. I just had to plug it in and it worked fine. OS X has a bunch of drivers already built-in. If the driver for that particular HP printer isn't there, then maybe HP didn't provide it. But it's certainly not Apple's responsibility to maintain compatibility with third-party hardware providers. It's HP's responsiblity to maintain their products and to keep them up-to-date with the latest OS releases, whether it be Mac or Windows.

7. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

wELL mAC USERS TO THE RESCUE, Apple has not had good relations with many if not most 3rd party suppliers., they like to sell things themselves. Yes 3 years is not old., and the Tiger operating system should accommodate newer printers. HP and many suppliers have no troubles with PC's but with MAC systems it can be tricky. Windows also has help systems., and it could be basic mistakes that both software companies should not have to be contacted. Never the less Apple's relations to 3rd party stuff is awful, ask anyone in the business.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Knew that was coming here, you all go and protest all you want, I work on the side for a store that sells both MAC stuff and PC stuff, in these cases we have found that the Apple Stuff is the least adaptable and friendly, either it works or it does not and that's it.

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:54c57e763b]I work in the business. IMHO, you don't know what you're talking about.

:guns: :guns: IAltmann

How are your posts on this topic at all helpful? Someone has trouble printing, and you start shooting at Apple. Be useful or be gone![/font:54c57e763b]

10. craigcush

craigcush Member

Thanks Bill

11. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

me too Mr Merchant..it is a big country..anyway trying to get the guy some help, NEVERMIND.

12. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:65756ab8b0]One of the great things about PriusChat is that people are helpful to one another. I have re-read your posts, Mr. Altmann, and I didn't find how you were trying to help djasonw. Please enlighten me.

I don't believe that your opinions about PCs, from a wide variety of manufacturers, including those assembled from parts, and running a variety of versions of Windows, and Apple Mac computers, particularly when running open-source based OS X, to be particularly germaine, unless it specifically addresses printing to a HP Photosmart 8150.

It is a big country.[/font:65756ab8b0]

13. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Oh you are so germaine and educated, allow me to just enlighten you. You have an end user that does not know hardware and software for MACs, and it is all greek to him mostly, here is his post:

"Heheheehe... you MAC guys are so funny. I haven't a clue how to even do what you're saying. I actually called Geek Patrol and they're coming tomorrow. I lost my patience and really don't want to tinker with it any longer. I do like MACs but I much more adept at handling PCs. I feel so helpless!!!"

Been making money and in business with this since 1980..

don't believe that your opinions about PCs, from a wide variety of manufacturers, including those assembled from parts, and running a variety of versions of Windows, and Apple Mac computers, particularly when running open-source based OS X, to be particularly germaine, unless it specifically addresses printing to a HP Photosmart 8150.

DIDN'T SEE YOU ALL SOLVING HIS PROBLEM, He's going to the GEEK SQUAD at Best Buy!!!!

It is a big country.

___noted signature email address_______
    Bill
    [email protected] (little partial to MACs are we ??

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi -

I had to research this when one of my sister's HP inkjets stopped working after the 10.4 upgrade. 10.4 did in fact make some low level changes to the operating system that affected some printer drivers, particularly HP printers. Some new HP drivers came bundled with 10.4, some not. If not, then there are some generic drivers that sort of work, otherwise, you just have to wait for the new driver to come out for your particular model. In the case of the 8150, there is in fact a new software driver available dated June of 2005, that expressly says it works with 10.4. A good tip is to delete the old printer driver before you install the new one. Click here for the link to the new driver.

15. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Now that is EXCELLENT ggood...new drivers dated 6/2005, that HP made to operate with the 10.4 version. If DJASONW is still reading and trying to fix or fiddle with it on his own he can use that. With your permission I would like to PM him YOUR message.

16. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:c11499ef6b]IALTMANN, you started in the middle. Here's what djasonw posted first:[/font:c11499ef6b]
    [font=Comic Sans MS:c11499ef6b]He was asking people who know Macs (seems to leave you out) for help. I see some questions to establish the parameters of the question, then some suggestions for help. If djasonw decided to call geek squad, that's his decision. It doesn't negate Mac people trying to help. ggood is the latest to offer real advice, not a rant.

I bought the smartest car on the planet. I also use the most advanced personal computer on the planet. And I won't apolgize if my vocabulary is bigger than yours.

Do I express Iself?[/font:c11499ef6b]

17. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

NO more Mr Merchant, another poster (GGOOD) has found his problem.. Enough, if I got you upset sorry. Got plenty of Mac business, and have solved plenty of problems there, no need to start insults...and yes I know you know everything...etc....if you'll ignore me I'll ignore you..nothing I posted failed to describe what I was saying by the way...Apple did something in the code in 10.4 and failed to inform and give HP the time of day, for whatever business reason (Probably would not pay some form of royalty), so HP paid and then fixed it, like Ggood was GOOD enough to find. I will express Iself ---->Bye

18. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:52930b2d5c]I have had enough of your insults. NO MORE, Altmann. I never said I know everything. I'm a Mac user who tried to help djasonw. Another Mac user has provided specific information which may help.

Your rants about Apple did nothing to help. You assert HP paid something. To whom? What is your justification for this assertion? This discussion has spun way off-topic. I've been trying to ignore you for some time, and will continue to do so.

___noted signature_____

19. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off... I want to thank everyone for supporting me regarding my issue. I had someone come over and essentially it was the old driver would not work when I upgraded to Jaguar. I remembered I had twins who live around the corner from me. They owed me a favor because I let them use my Segway a year ago. They installed the driver that came with the new OS and my printer works fine.

The only reason MACs are a little foreign to me is because I'm new to the MAC community. I really LOVE my MAC and I am going to start teaching myself everything I need to know.

I also want to aplogize for the pissing match that is going on within this thread. I won't take sides, but all I can say is that I own a PC and a MAC. I prefer using the MAC mainly because the software for it is so unique. The interface is wonderful and they rarely crash. The best thing is that there is NO spyware or virus issues. Those are so pervasive in the PC community. What's more, I feel better having something that is only 3 or 4% of the entire personal computer market. Lastly, I love my Prius.

Once again, you guys are wonderful and it is a pleasure to be a part of such a helpful community. If you're ever around the Long Island area, I'd be glad to host a gathering.

20. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Djason:

Yea don't worry about it, that is normal here, cause politics permeates all. I have one of those little Macs myself to get awayfrom the virus and junk mail stuff too, cause there's less of them they are less prone to problems like that. Knew it was a driver problem from my very first post, despite bad mouthing the Apple Co., and paid dearly for it as usual. My little store in Port Arthur has had many such little problems, in both PC and MAC worlds. There are so many makers of things and the major MFG of the computers only take responsibility for their end. Driver issues occur all the time with printers, and video cards, games have been even more problematic at times getting the good rates for displays. USB devices usually require a good driver IN first before they are plugged in, when you get one that does not work, you have to unplug the device, uninstall the device from the software if necessary, try and remove the driver there if you can, and then RELOAD the new or correct drive, then plug the device back in for the system to re-detect. You have to do this EACH time. This is generally true both in the PC and MAC world. HP frequently supplies install discs, and some of them with wrong or outdated drivers. With HP devices, you usually have to run the un-install program too. Then when you install again, you still have to use their software, then find the drivers and put in the newer ones first, before plugging in the device. HP will usually have "READ ME" files in with the corrected drivers, and you must follow HP's directions. Not a good situation, you do not have good coordination between MFG and the Device makers. Anyway once the stuff works, both PC and MAC things do good.

Good Luck, and don't worry about all of us EGG heads here, we all have shells.