1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help With MAC

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by djasonw, Jul 31, 2005.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Hey DJasonW,

Apologies -- I meant to post a solution for you, but PriusChat went down before I had a chance to. (C'est la vie.) Just glad to hear that you got a solution to the problem.

You aren't alone in having printing problems when upgrading to Tiger. I've been following the discussions over on the Macintouch Incompatibilities page, and some improvement to the CUPS printing system, along with some underlying changes to the OS, have caused incompatibilities to people upgrading -- particularly, but not restricted to, HP printers.

After a few weeks, HP got updated drivers out, but I think a lot of it was just getting the configuration to recognize the printers. All part of the fun of a new OS upgrade. :) (When deciding on a new all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, I looked at various printer company's support for Mac drivers. Eventually went with Brother, and have been very happy with my purchase. (Frankly, the last printer/scanner I got from HP had problems running with Windows, so I was reluctant to go down that road.))

I'm about 2/3 of the way through moving from Windows to a Mac at home. Overall, it's gone fairly smoothly, but it has taken longer than I thought it would, and I have run into more problems than I had expected. (Asimov's First Law of Personal Computers. :) )

Some of it, I think, has been that I made the change a month after Tiger came out -- still waiting for some things to shake out, and compatible software to be released. Some Windows<->Mac (SMB/Samba) networking problems were introduced in Tiger, though the major ones have been fixed in 10.4.2. And I'm having a really wonderful time getting my Palm PDA hotsyncing to work well under the Mac. :roll: But I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

When I get finished with it all, I'll do a quick summary of the experience on Fred's HOP. I definitely think it's been worth it: when I finally do get things working, I'm finding that it's easier to "just get things done" on the Mac. Plus, there's Unix underneath it all, which is a pleasure for doing automated backups, cleanups, and other tasks.