1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with main battery replacement on '01 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by drs33, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Which is why I linked the Our Installers page, so the OP could find an installer local to them, not the main page, which is in NC.

I would hope you would agree the the East Bay is in the San Fransisco Bay area. (They list three installers in CA) I am sorry you feel it necessary to 'dis' Re-InVolt at every turn, but do try to make your comments have some bearing on reality.

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

Actually, I pointed it out earlier in the thread.

No one has made any statements in this thread that 'dis', as you say, Re-InVolt. You can verify that for yourself by simply reading the thread. As I had noted, a reputable source is about twenty miles away from the OP, and it is more efficient for the OP to have the modules replaced locally than to pay to have a battery pack shipped across the country.

As I had also noted, any problem arising with the new modules would necessitate the removal of the pack and two additional freight trips across the country: one to return the faulty pack, and one to deliver the replacement pack, under warranty.

It's simply a matter of time, geography, and economics. It shouldn't be surprising to read that a Bay Area resident doesn't need to look outside of their community to get their Prius repaired. As to why that has angered you enough to post "do try to make your comments have some bearing on reality"—well, that's your business, and beyond the scope of this forum.

By chance, did you read the thread before posting? If not, start there.

3. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a quick update: happily, this did not turn out to be the hybrid battery at all. Instead, the repair shop's best guess was that dirty sensors and/or a dirty throttle body were somehow giving the computer misinformation, prompting the warnings and the sensation of low power. They cleaned those, put in a new 12V battery (since it was also failing based on their tests), tuned it up, and the car was driving good as new. Hopefully that's resolved the problem! We were very happy with Art's---they were quick, relatively affordable, and very informative/upfront about the repair. We will definitely use them to service the car in the future.

And yes, we are in the East Bay in the SF Bay Area, so we do have a ReInvolt installer locally---but luckily we did not have to grapple with that decision, and with some luck the current battery will see us through this car's senior years. Thanks for all of the help!