1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with my battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kiko174, May 11, 2017.

1. Kiko174

Kiko174 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I must be doing something wrong. I brought a 2006 prius almost a year ago and the first time the triangle came I panic and called the mechanic who charge me 400$ a d said he change 4 cells (bs). It only lasted 4 months then again the triangle, this time I decide I can do it but I must be doing something wrong. And April 2 I change one cell 2 weeks later I need it 2 more which I also replaced however I'm getting the same code for block 10.

It's rebalancing complete necessary even though the voltage is really close to each other? Or could it be a bad bus cable.
    If it is a must then is there a cheaper way to do it rather than buying 4 or more battery charger that cost around 100$.

If anyone if you guys is in orlando, FL I would paid for help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, you are not doing anything wrong. It's just that you've been roped into playing a game of whack a mole.

There are a few things happening. Most of which you won't have control over.
    Simply replacing a module and not doing anything else has a pretty random chance of success.

You definitely could have bad or corroded wires that are causing the problem.

Is this a job you would consider tackling yourself?

You could buy some low-cost tools to monitor what's going on in real time. OBDII reader and a monitoring app.

I'd be happy to talk to you about this via phone if you give me a call.

MattStevenson and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Kiko174

Kiko174 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sure call me anytime.

I did open the pack again today and found another module low different than the ones I replaced this time I also notice it's #9 also notice this for the first time. I can't remember if it was like that.

1494523816554.jpg

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    rebalancing will help the pack last longer between failures, but nothing can prevent them altogether. listen to eric, he's the expert. if you plan on keeping the car a long time, maybe just buy a new battery.

MattStevenson likes this.
  5. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a process of discharging and recharging the cells/modules/battery, to get individual voltages close enough in tolerance so the battery can function properly. you can't just plug in pieces and expect it to work for very long.
    there are some good threads here on the process.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have looked and saw a few ... however it doesnt make sense ... can you link one you trust ?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ericbecky and possibly @TMR-JWAP (both PC members) maybe able to supply you, but in any case Eric would be more than happy to talk to you and advise.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Capacity.jpg
    Think of the above drawing as storage tanks and 1 mah = 1 gallon of fluid. The bottom of the tank is 4 volts and the top is 8 volts.
    When your HV battery is new, all 28 modules are relatively equal at 6500 mah capacity. As the battery ages, the capacity characteristics of the individual modules change and capacities diverge. Right now, "why and how" isn't important. Just believe it. Years go by, thousands of temperature cycles and charge/discharge cycles occur and potentially hundreds of thousands of miles accrue. Now the capacities have diverged quite a bit from the original 6500, but some modules are still 6000, some are 4000, some are 2000 and some probably even less. Again, 'why and how' are not important. It's fact. Now, while you're driving down the road any discharge or charge that occurs to the battery will always try to drain or add the same amount of mah (gallons) to each module (tank). As you can see from the drawing, draining 500 mah (gallons) from each tank will cause huge changes in voltage (level) on the left tank and smaller changes on the right tank. The battery modules are monitored by the HV system to check for this large divergence. When a large voltage divergence is detected....ta da!!!! Red Triangle!!

If it tries to drain more mah (gallons) than the module (tank) is holding, the module voltage will drop rapidly. If it tries to add more mah than that tank's current capacity, it's converted to heat instead.

Now a quick discussion of individual modules and capacities. Imagine we take two large steel poles to our back yard, mount them vertically 5 feet apart and make one of those tesla coil things where you have an electrical arc jumping between the metal poles. We turn it on for one minute every Friday night to watch the pretty electrical display. We have a rain shower every Sunday. The poles get a bit more rusty every week. The arc is a bit weaker every week. Ten years down the road the rust is crazy thick and the arc won't even light off anymore (like a Prius HID headlight :mad:). I grab a chipping hammer, wire brush and sand blaster and head to the backyard to remove the rust layer and refurb the metal poles. Now, a significantly more clean, bare metal surface is exposed and OMG, the arc is beautiful again. Similar to this, a crystal layer forms in the battery module over time/usage and covers 'the metal poles' reducing available active surface area of the battery. Deep cycling/pulse cycling the module reduces/breaks up SOME of this crystal formation to expose more surface area. More surface area = more capacity = bigger tank.

The goal of discharging/charging/etc is to get all the modules to not only be bigger tanks, but also near equal tanks, where an addition or subtraction doesn't cause a large UNEQUAL level change. The system would work equally well if ALL 28 modules were small tanks or if ALL 28 modules were big tanks. (although big tanks = less engine run time = better mpg)

This is why swapping ONE (or 2 or 3 or 4....) awesome module(s) into your battery can still cause problems. You added a BIG tank to a bunch of medium/small tanks. The UNEQUAL level change may still be big enough to trigger the 'triangle'

Obviously, there's more to it in the details, but this is about the most simple way I can think of to describe the way it works.

If you're a Sheldon and about to get all technical on me, please refrain. Don't be a Dave.
    Now my brain hurts................hope this helps

10. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Question ... when you swap an awesome cell into not such awesome cells ... how would one equally charge and discharge them to make them all "equal"?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a long and entertaining thread, not for the faint hearted: 'gen 2 prius individual battery module replacement' @ryousideways

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cycle/testing the modules in your battery can be either time consuming or expensive. Buy a one channel charger @ $50 and do one at a time=weeks. Buy a good 4 channel charger @$180 still = ~2 weeks. Buy multiple 4 channel chargers = $$$ but = days.

If you are unable to cycle/test your modules, the least expensive option is to obtain modules that are as close of a match as possible to the estimated average capacity of the ones in the pack that will be reused. It would be important to remove ANY that are suspect of being weak. Using only voltage checks can be limiting, but it can be done. Measure them all about a day after the pack is removed from the car. If any are below 7.2, they absolutely need to be replaced. Replace any others that are >.1 volt below the average voltage of the remaining modules. Although this is not an exact science, it will give you a very good chance of success.

13. mattd2472

mattd2472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the "other" full hybrid battery i got for $200 in my garage and a month ago all cells were 7.5 ... im having issues i think when my daughter drives my prius she has said it hit purple while driving. Never happens when i drive. Wed im off im going to test the cells in my car and see if any are ""off"" in voltage from the others.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the color purple is okay. if it fluctuates up and down rapidly, you have a battery issue. make sure you load test the cells.

15. Kiko174

Kiko174 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So after rebuild the battery and replace a total of 4 modules. The car is back on circulation I came to the conclusion that because I don't drive the vehicle on the regular basis it's better for me to sell it to someone that will used it rather than me damaging the battery again. However I want to be fair and sell it fully functional so I been test driving the vehicle and everything seen fine until last night when I got a p3019 code.

It seems that something is making this module fail since it was one of the 4 I replaced, so what did I did wrong this time.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sent you a private message (conversation).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TMR-JWAP, that was a sweet explanation of module charging.