1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with purchase advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by joshinminn, Feb 16, 2013.

1. joshinminn

joshinminn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to decide between a 2010 Prius with the fancy bells and whistles like a JBL sound, leather seats, with 75000 miles on it. or a 2010 Corolla S level with 40,000 miles on it. I'm a little worried about the mileage on the Prius. anyone want to offer some free advice?

Thanks!

DROID BIONIC ? 2

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    75,ooo isn't much on a prius. what state are you in? if it's a carb state, you get 8 year 150,000 mile warranty. there are a few expensive parts that are only 3/36, so, if you don't have money for an extremely unlikely repair, you may want to go with the corolla. all the best!

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Price would add a significant factor in my choices . It all depends... As far as reliability is concerned, both cars have outstanding stats. In making your decision, maintenance records are also crucial, especially where the Prius is concerned.

4. joshinminn

joshinminn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Corolla is $13989 and the Prius is $16489.

DROID BIONIC ? 2

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! how much is a new corolla?

6. joshinminn

joshinminn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A new corolla in the S trim is $18230.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being these cars are probably being sold at a dealer, they both have huge profit margin at those prices. Remember, dealers make way more money on used vehicles vs new cars. They probably bought them on trade for cheap.I would shop around.

8. Lemurific

Lemurific New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would rather have less bells and whistles on a car with less miles. And remember that some things you can add later - like those leather seats.

9. L Long

L Long Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In regard to advice on purchasing a Prius with high mileage,I'm considering a purchase of a 2010 level IV with 112K miles from a local California Toyota dealer for $13.5K. It's a one owner vehicle and the dealership selling the car sold it to the original owner according to a Car Fax report. My question is: what should I be concerned with in purchasing a Prius with this type of high mileage from a future maintenance/service/repair perspective? Thanks in advance for any and all advice

10. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You know, $3k a lot of money, you won't save that in gas unless it really goes up! Even then it would take a lot of driving for pay back. The reason I would pick the Prius is I like the hatch back, I like the quiet, I like the look, I like the dash and gauges. Lastly, I like bells and whistles installed from factory. The miles, seriously you'll sell that Prius way before it's life time. It may get sold a few times before its life time is over. Think about it, if you take care of it, drive 12k a year in 5 years that only 60k so that like 140000. And that ain't shit for these cars. I vote Prius and bell and whistles!

OceanEyes and JMD like this.
  11. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I traded an 08 Corolla S with 180k on it for a '12 Three but it still drove like a champ. I maintained it since I bought it new, kept up with oil changes, brakes, belts, etc and I'm confident I could've easily gotten another 50 to 100k out of it. I loved the car, it was fun and cheap and easy to maintain, but I traded for the Prius because of the savings in gas, for me, currently $2500 a year, more if gas prices rise. I couldn't ignore that.

I rented a new corolla on business and found it about the same as mine, same size, comfort, etc. However, now, I find the Prius better in all respects and see a 30k mileage difference between them as nothing nowadays. The Prius is roomier, feels quicker and IMO is more comfortable overall. Plus, you can use a Prius as a generator if your power goes out, way cool!

If you ride a ton of miles or like saving at the pump, roll with the Prius. If you're financing, the $3k diff will equate to under $50/month. Then compare, in my scenario, the 35-38 mpg of a Corolla to the 51-60 of the Prius. Your numbers may vary, but it'll all be relative.

Good luck with your decision. It all boils down to what you want out of any car.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used to drive 35,000 miles a year and drove a Honda Civic over 250,000 miles. Just routine service. I purchased the car new from the dealer. I had purchased another Honda Civic and drive it 5 years and gave it to my daughter who drove it another 7 years through HS and College graduation. Prius is one of those cars, durable, reliable and economical.

OceanEyes and Bob Hahn like this.
  13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree.

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know what you decide.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any Prius can't have "all" the bells & whistles. A IV-Solar will have the solar roof & nav. The V-AT will have the avionics. A V can't have the solar roof and only a V can have the AT package. So are you looking at a IV-base, IV-Nav, IV-Solar, V base, V-Nav, or V-AT? Some of the differences are pretty significant.

CARB warranty is 10 years/100000 miles.

The nav is no really significantly better or worse than a Garmin. Yes, I use 2 nav systems in the car. The V has 17" wheels and a different suspension. Tires make a big difference. If fuel economy is important check the tires on tirerack to see if they are low rolling resistance LRR. The Prius should be on its 2nd set. The Corolla may or may not be on the originals. A new set of good tires aren't cheap. A good LRR tire will more than pay for itself in fuel savings over 60000 miles. The Prius should have had 7 oil changes & a tranny drain & fill.

Model Year 2010 was very long. Early production does not have a USB port in the center armrest. Middle production does not have the Safety Connect panel up by the roof.

Even with the mileage difference I believe you'll spend more on maintenance & repairs buying the Corolla.

JMD likes this.
  16. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius, hands down! Not even apples to apples here brotha

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid battery warranty in CA / CARB states is .... 10 years / 150,000 miles.

18. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will this car be used for family? I hadn't mentioned earlier, the Prius back seat legroom is huge compared to Corolla.

... Just another note.

I agree on maintenance points, a reason I dumped my Corolla, but then it served faithfully for 180k with 1 brake job, a belt/tensioner, timing chain tensioner, 3 sets of tires. I traded because it would've been due for another round of all the above plus struts. I don't know where the Prius will be at 180k but they are all Toyotas, says enough there.

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Prius is low maintenance and has proven to be very reliable. That mileage difference should not be a factor in my opinion. The utility of all that cargo and passenger space in the Prius should also be taken into account, assuming you have no objection to hatchbacks. Depending on the exact model and configuration, that price on the Prius may actually be pretty good. Check craigslist and nada.com values for your area. The Prius is also just fun because its different and has some interesting technology. If you have a long commute, the gas savings will add up.

20. joshinminn

joshinminn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate all of your feedback! A couple of factors I didn't share: we have three kids, and we always use our Sienna for banging around town with the family. My car is used occasionally with one or two of the kids, but never all three. I only use mine as a commuter car, often to a park and ride lot only a couple of miles away, but also sometimes to work (15 mile commute one direction).

I totaled my '98 Corolla a couple of weeks ago, and it only had 117K miles on it; I generally drive less than 8,000 miles a year. Our '04 Sienna was bought used with 18K miles on it, and after eight years it only has 85K miles on it.

I really wanted a hybrid, but ended up going with the Corolla for a couple of reasons. (1) I really want a new hybrid; it is just out of my price range right now. I want to put on those first 80K miles, because it would probably take me 10 years to do so. I was nervous about not getting to enjoy those first 80K of low maintenance miles. (2) As an exclusively commuter car, I'd prefer to get a Prius C, as I prefer the body styling and further cost/benefit from being a cheaper investment coupled with great mileage. (3) The Prius was red, and I typically hate red cars! The Corolla is bright blue, which I gravitate towards. (4) When my daughter turns 16—not so far off now—this will be a great car for her to use to get around town in. I can buy a proper new hybrid then.

So, that's how I ended up. I feel good about the decision, and I have always liked the Corollas. Next new car for me will ABSOLUTELY be a hybrid! Thanks again for all of the advice, I have really enjoyed reading the threads these last couple of weeks while I've drooled over the Prius Cs!

Cheers!

JMD likes this.