1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with purchase please :)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bex33, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Bex33

Bex33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I am looking to trade in my 2009 Yaris for a Prius. There are 2 cars I am trying to decide between:

A white 2013 Prius Five with the Advanced Technology Package for $16,000: 29,600 miles, clean, one owner, no accidents. Originally purchased in California.

or

A white 2015 Prius Four with Advanced Solar Roof Package for $17,500: 23,500 miles, clean, one owner, carfax reports that it was in an front accident and the airbags did not deploy (damage has been fixed). Originally purchased in Texas.

I like the idea of the Solar Roof Package but I am worried about the Solar Panels giving out eventually. I also like all the safety features that the Advanced Technology Package offers. What else should I be asking the dealerships about the car?

I am curious if the 10 year Hybrid battery warranty that California has follows the car when it leaves the state or if it reverts to the 8 year warranty. Anyone know about that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be my first Prius and I want to make sure I go with the right car.

Thank you for your help!

2. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 2015 does have some huge advantages.
    It has the best pistons and piston rings out of all the 3rd gen Prii greatly reducing the chances of it developing oil burning issues.
    The 2015 also has a newer inverter that is far less likely to fail.
    The 2015 are by far the most reliable of all the Gen 3 Prii.

bisco likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. I'd get the newer one if possible.

I do not believe the CARB warranty follows the car out of CARB states, though. But I've not researched it personally, so that's just hearsay on my part.

4. Bex33

Bex33 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the tips. Turns out the 2015 was a popular car. It sold this morning. Guess it’s going to be the 2013.

bisco likes this.
  5. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    2013 is a great car as well. you'll need to bone up on some non factory recommended service though.

unfortunately, you only get 8/100 in the great state of texas, no matter where it was originally registered.

all the best!(y)