1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with remove parking brake cable

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kmpatel, Jul 18, 2020.

1. kmpatel

kmpatel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm having trouble removing the e-brake cable from the rear calipers, to replace said calipers. I live in cold climate with lots of snow and salt, so corrosion is a definitely in play here.

I can release the ball end of the cable from the actuator lever, but I cannot pull he cable out from the bracket.

I know there is a spring clip that holds the cable in place and the manual suggest sliding a 14mm box wrench to collapse the clip. But it is the cable itself that just plain stuck to the bracket. I need guidance on how to free with without damage.

I found the spring clip heavily crudded-up. I applied lots and lots of PB-blaster until all the crud washed away such that clips moves freely. Yet I am unable to pull the e-cable thru the bracket.

I carefully remove the spring clip off the cable. Yet I am unable to pull the e-cable thru the bracket.

I applied heat to the bracket via a mini torch. Yet I am unable to pull the e-cable thru the bracket. I should say I was concerned about burning the protective rubber of the cable, never the less, I think I got a decent amount of heat onto the bracket (very hot to the touch).

Now I'm at a loss of how to dislodge the e-brake cable. Is there any other tricks applicable here? I saw a video where a mechanic just cut open the bracket with cutoff wheel. Is that my only options?