1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with removing scratches on 2010 black Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Prius0722, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Prius0722

Prius0722 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello all! So yesterday, I got into an accident, which unfortunately was my fault due to ice and slippery road conditions. I was trying to make a right turn and I tried to do a complete stop but my car would not stop even though I stepped on the brake pedals (again, due to the slippery roads filled with ice and sleet,etc). So due to this, I hit an oncoming car. Luckily, no one was hurt and the other vehicle sustained minor damage, and obviously, my insurance will cover her damages. But as for my car, I'm trying my best to save as much money as possible, I can obviously have the minor scratches and blemishes be fixed at a body shop but my deductible is a few hundred dollars but if I can fix it myself for a lot less, I'd much rather go that route.

So based on the insert picture below (I know the picture doesn't show the damage as clearly as I want it to be) but the scratches are underneath the Toyota emblem where the front license plate should be. Also, as you can see, my license plate is missing because it was knocked off during the accident. I think my front license plate took the brute of the damage since it fell off during the accident but my car still sustained some minor scratches near the drivers side of the front bumper. I will probably go to the dealership to have them install the license plate back on but does anybody know what products to use to remove these scratches myself? Meguiars? Wax or compound? Spot putty? Should I use sandpaper? Or should I just cough up the money and have the professionals do it? And since it's winter here, I understand it's harder to work on the car outside but like I said, I'm really trying to save as much money as I can. My car doesn't seem to have sustained any heavy damage. I don't see any dents or deep scratches so I'm hoping I can fix the imperfections myself.

Please any recommendations or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    It looks you need a new bumper to me.
    To lower the repair cost just don't paint it.

If you are trying to not spend any repair money I think you have a couple options.
    1) Best - get a vinyl bra and cover the damage.
    2) No so good - sand and repaint a flat black insert design over the damage.
    3) Maybe a fail - try "wrapping" or "plastic dipping" the complete bumper

There may also be bent brackets and broken clips here and there.

Another co-member may have some further ideas.

Good luck.

repnatl and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How fast were you going at the time of impact? Hard to tell in the pic if there are any fluids leaking out, but something I would check for. The inverter pump resides behind the light housing on the drivers side, so something I would investigate to ensure no damage has occurred.

First thing I would do would be to jack the car up and have a look around underneath. As for the cosmetics, I have had a vinyl bra on the front of our 2010 Prius II for over 6 years now. It was $70 and I bought it because I was getting a lot of rocks or road debris causing paint chips. It covers the front of the car nicely. See below:

IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

IMO, that's what I would do, or I would look to a salvage yard for the same color bumper and replace it. But this option might take awhile to get completed. Depends on your desire and patience level;).

Hope this helps(y).

4. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Having used just about every product on the market for scratches over the years, I haven't found anything that works well on the "plastic components" like the bumper. Maybe find a bumper sticker that will cover it?

5. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is one good video how to remove scratch but yours need major work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. OldNo7

OldNo7 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If the bumper skin isn't torn sand and paint it. If you need a new bumper skin you can order them online for $120 ish, or get an item from the dealer. Paint it. Color code is 209. Remember to clear coat too.

If your not sure your paint skills will look good enough glossy, find some lines and use flat black plasti-dip.. It'll look fine if it looks like it was meant to be that way. I did inside the grill area on my 2014 C and the mirrors and it held up fine for over a year and a half until the car was totaled.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. luv2spd

luv2spd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meguiars and Mothers both sell 3 step products to remove scratches and restore paint. I would first recommend replacing the bumper with one from a junkyard if that's a possibility. A clear bra is a good idea as well, but it will not hide the scratches underneath.

If you want to go down the polish and wax route, the three bottles will probably run $60 plus the extra cutting pads and micro-fiber towels that you will need, so it would cost about $90. But, you can keep re-using these products after you bought them, so it's not all wasted money in case it doesn't work.

Step 1: removes scratches and cleans paint.
    Step 2: creates a deep glossy shine
    Step 3: wax, provides a protective layer to extend deep shine/wet look

I wax my cars and bikes by hand most of the time, so you don't have to buy a machine if you don't want to; it will just take longer.

8. Prius0722

Prius0722 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I decided to wash and wax off the car to remove all the dirt, mud, snow, gunk, etc from my Prius to see what the damage really looked like (see attached photos below). IMO, it doesn't look as bad as I thought, but there is still a section of scratches near the license plate. I'm still debating on whether or not to go to the body shop to have it fixed but I'm still hesitant for 2 reasons. First, the deductible to have it fixed costs a few hundred I believe and I prefer to save as much money as I can, and if I do have it fixed via my insurance, I'm not sure if they'll raise my insurance fees even more for having it fixed. They'll probably raise it regardless since this accident was my fault but I'll call them to see if they have any accidentt forgiveness or any leniency due to bad weather and poor road conditions. Second reason I'm hesitant is that winter is still going to be around in my area for at least another 2 months(at the minimum, it could be longer) and if I have the scratches fixed, I'm sure my bumper will be scratched in no time due to the poor weather conditions in my area, with all the snow and mud and dirt and rocks and what have you bumping up against my fixed bumper. I mean, I could buy a car bra but I prefer not to.

As of right now, I'm considering buying some products myself to see what I can remove myself. There are no dents and there are no indents when feeling the scratches with finger. Based on what I've read, Meguiars seems to be the better of the rest for removing scratches. Based on the pictures, what do you guys think? What products would you guys recommend? Is sandpaper good for removing scratches? Or do you guys think I should just repair the scratches at the body shop?

Also, as you can see in the picture, one of the holes where the license plate goes was damaged a bit more severely than the other hole. I believe the bumper is plastic and not metal (correct me if I'm wrong) so the damaged hole shouldn't rust, right? Also, does anyone know who would be willing to install my license plate back on, preferably for free? Dealership maybe?

Any further recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A body shop could probably salvage that, and it might be a bit cheaper than replacement. You'd have the consolation of not dumping a massive chunk of hydrocarbon in a landfill.

Just ranting: have no idea why they continue to call these things "bumpers".