1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with resetting ABS, TC,Brake warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gail Hall, May 31, 2015.

1. Gail Hall

Gail Hall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Started my 2010 Prius the other day and the traction control, brake light, abs light and a yellow Astrix light came on and wouldn't go off. The car drives and handles just fine, brakes feel normal. I have tried resetting the lights with a trick with a paper clip someone else posted, but it didn't work for me. Any help would be great! Thanks.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Disconnecting and after a minute or so reconnecting the 12 volt should wipe out the codes.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ignore warning lights at your own risk.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What paper clip trick? You trying to short something out? There's a reason why the Xmas tree lights came on. Get the code read. The last time I had lights came on, was radar cruise malfunction. It didn't drive normal. Regen braking was completely gone. I lost about 8mpg. In my case, I unplugged the obdii plug restart the Prius and the lights went away and my Regen was restored. Didn't have any problems since.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What paper clip trick? :confused:

If it's the one to bypass the TPMS warning light, you are clearly mistaken in when it should be used/applied.

You had multiple warning lights, not just a TPMS low tire pressure light.

Have you had your 12v auxiliary battery tested? Your 2010 might be due for a new battery.

6. Gail Hall

Gail Hall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update....I took the car to Toyota and had them diagnosis the car. They told me the right rear bearing assembly was bad and had to be replaced at a cost of over $800! Plus the diagnostic charges of $120.They said the bearing,hub and ABS sensor were all one unit and had to be replaced that way, all at the same time. My husband found the new hub with bearings installed and ABS sensor for $100 at a local auto parts store in Pekin, IL. It took him about an hour to remove the old one and 40 minutes to install the new one. My husband discovered that the hub and ABS sensor do indeed come as a kit, but the ABS sensor, itself could be replaced independently, without replacing the entire bearing assembly, if available (we don't know if it is) When my husband pulled the bearing assembly off he discovered that it was difficult to turn, showing that indeed the bearings were going out. We can only assume that the extra heat generated from the bad bearings (lack of grease from factory on bearings) created enough heat to destroy the ABS sensor. We feel that Toyota should be responsible for this because we have read several threads in different Toyota forums with people having this same problem. In fact, the Toyota service rep. actually told me that they had replaced several of these, but there wasn't a recall on them. While my husband was working on the car he disconnected the 12v battery & reconnected it when all new parts were installed. This did not make the warning lights go away. He took it for a short "test drive" and all seemed fine, but lights still on. We are hoping that when I drive it for a longer distance that maybe the lights will reset & go off, after the computer detects that all is well again with the abs system. We will keep you updated on what we eventually find out.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, often disconnecting the 12v battery, then reconnecting it will clear codes and error conditions. However, sometimes it will take a period of time till the error codes and lights go away, after the problems causing the error conditions are repaired/addressed. If everything is good, the error lights should clear after about 5 to 10 restarts.

#7 xliderider, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  8. Gail Hall

Gail Hall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, xliderider. I have heard that from other sources,too, that it may take up to 10 restarts. I think I am close to that now & the warning lights are still on. Friday was my first day driving the Prius, since repaired. We thought we would give it a week and see what happens. Today is Sunday, so we will see what next week brings.