1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Techstream Error Codes on '05 and 192k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Integraoligist, May 6, 2018.

1. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So 2 weeks ago i had a cell go bad on the HV (2nd time in 2 years), i replaced the cell, charged, and everything worked perfectly... i ran it around for a day and it was all good.

I go on vacation for 5 days.... i come back home... while i'm coming up the drive theres a gopher under the Prius... i drive up and he runs off. I'm like ahhh no, BECAUSE 3 days before i left on the trip, my trucks headlight goes out, all the brake lights come on and engine light comes on. I try to figure out the brake light issue on it, can't find anything wrong... so I go change the headlights and boom, someone chewed through the headlight wire, i fix the wire, it's all good... i check the other headlight, same thing, chewed through the wire and I also find insulation eaten on the top of the hood. I found out that it may have shorted the computer and the Brake light won't turn off without a full download from the dealer... (Nissan Titan truck).

So the first thing that comes to mind when i seen that gopher under the car... test the car. So I turn it on and BOOM, errors! WTH! I jack up the car, look all over, i dont see any wires eaten... I then go into the engine bay and check, again, i dont see wires eaten BUT I DO have some eaten yellow insulation just above the passenger side spark plug area. I check wires in that area... all look fine.

So I put techstream on to see what the issue is and i get the following errors (attached pics)

From the error codes and the data sheets, does anyone have any idea on what the problem is?

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      123.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      128.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      160.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      161.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      160.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      151.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      148.3 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      158.1 KB
      Views:
    • a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How’s the 12 volt battery voltage after sitting overnight? How’s the oil level?

SFO likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a P0A80 code, but I don't see a photo of the freeze frame data. Click on the snowflake icon to the left of the code. It will have more information. I also didn't see any HV battery info (voltages and internal resistances) in your photos. Most of that info will probably be in the freeze frame data, but you can also access it live under the HV Battery tab.

#3 TMR-JWAP, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12V battery is at 14v... oil level is at 3/4 full

I hit the clovers next to each of the codes and all of the pics attached above were the pages that opened.

Because the other HV code is'nt pulling up anymore because i replaced that cell, i'm not sure how to get to the page that showed all the block voltages.

I'm not fully aware of how to navigate through everything in Techstream, so if you can give me direction that would be great!
    Thanks!

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Integ,

That's my bad, my eye's ain't as good as they used to be. Upon review, its a P0A90, not 80. My mistake.

P0A90, subcode 239 (subcode is in the freezeframe)

Definition: Drive Motor A Performance
    Detection Condition: HV transaxle input malfunction (shaft damaged)
    Trouble Area:
    1. Engine Assembly
    2. HV tranaxlw assembly (shaft or gear)
    3. Transmission input damper
    4. Wire harness or connector
    5. HV control ECU

P0102, Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low input
    1. open in mass air flow meter circuit
    2. mass air flow meter
    3. ECM

Sorry about the posting delays, my computer keeps locking, due to some loop loading from this site.

P0335, Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit
    1. Open or short in CP sensor circuit
    2. Crankshaft position sensor
    3. Signal plate (crankshaft)
    4. ECM

Considering the wide range of codes, and that the car was working fine before you parked it for a few days, I would first verify the 12v battery is good. Then I would start hunting gopher. Then do a really good inspection of the wire harness again.

#5 TMR-JWAP, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That 14v is during operation.

Check it tomorrow morning prior to doing anything.

That myriad of codes might be due to a low 12 volt battery.

SFO likes this.
  7. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just checked voltage right at the battery, i'm at 11.96V is that just low enough to start throwing all these codes?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your battery is about 50% discharged :(.

Do you have access to a battery charger? If so, put it on the charger overnight and see what you get:).

You can also disconnect the 12 volt battery for a period of time ten reconnect it and see what codes return ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but you don't want to be chasing your tail. All it takes is a load to drop the voltage below 10 V and then there could be red herrings.

At 11.96 V your battery state of charge is near zero, so get it on a charger and charge it up. However, this is just another problem (not the problem), and is an easy on to fix. So, why not fix it?

The FFD for the P0A90-239 shows the engine running and the B+ at 13.88 V. This is the moment the fault triggered, so not like a false code, sorry.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So charged the 12v battery to Full, start the car.... same codes.

It starts the engine for a few seconds... then shuts the engine down... i try to put it in drive/reverse, nope, wont go out of neutral. Even when you jam the gas to the floor it still dosent turn the engine on.

Ideas?

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See post #5.....
    If the engine will not start, you must stay very aware of how much you discharge the HV battery trying to turn the engine over. Try too many times, unsuccessfully, and the HV battery will be depleted. Then things get more complicated, as you would need to charge it.

You need to look at the codes, they are telling you there are issues. From a hungry gopher? maybe or maybe not, but a problem is there. Apparently some signals are missing.

12. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I charged both the HV Battery (I have the Prolong charger for that) and the 12V to completely full overnight.

All the codes in your post #5 seem to contain an issue with the wiring or harness... where is this harness located so that I can check it out? It's just odd that everything was working perfect until the cell in the HV battery dropped... then once I replaced it and charged/balanced the HV everything ran fine again. Sit for a few days and then boom, issues not related to the HV

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That seems to me like quite a variety of errors. I'd be looking hard for chewed up wires.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess you posted while I was typing.

I don't know about all of them, but the mass air flow shouldn't be hard to at least start chasing down. The sensor is inside the throttle body. You could try following that wire to the harness and then following the harness. Perhaps someone with a manual will come along soon with a diagram.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll suggest another approach, one I've mentioned before in other threads, but doesn't seem to have been brought up in this one yet.

Write down the detection conditions for the codes you have. These are found in the Repair Manual on the page for each code, and they are not the same as the one-liner catchy fortune-cookie "description" for the code. The detection conditions explain the exact conditions or sensor measurements that the computers are programmed to respond to by setting the associated code.

Once you have written down those detection conditions, start thinking about what could be happening in the car that would result in that combination of conditions being measured.

People who have a bunch of codes together often see that instinctively as a sign of something random or incoherent or defying diagnosis. Think about it the other way, as a combination of detection conditions and what would make them occur together, and you often can find it is a gift that tremendously narrows down the possibilities you have to check.

-Chap

16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'd make a great detective, Chap! (y)

17. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    alright! So i followed the MAF sensor wire down... guess what? CHEWED WIRES... didnt see them before because it was just not visable, i had to feel it out... in the wad of 4 sets of sensor wires going into the plastic sheath, it ate through the plastic nicked 2 wires, and there was a larger black cable inside which was eaten through which had another wire nicked, a wire complete eaten through and an outside ground wire I assume that coated both of the other wires that was eaten through as well. So i repaired all of them, started it up and the P0102 code is now gone. But the P0A90 and P0335 are still there, so I assume (like my truck) he didnt stop just in 1 spot to eat, he went somewhere else.

So, where would the wireharnesses be for the P0A90 and P0335? I need to trace them back to see what else he got to.

Or did the chew on the P0102 short out something and cause the P0A90 and P0335? I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and cabin and all are good. I also cleared the ECU, and those 2 codes came back... I also disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected just to be sure... and they came back again, so i'm sure theres another chew somewhere.
    Thanks again all!

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not likely.
    P0335 is a crankshaft position sensor error, which is towards the bottom and rear of the motor (IIRC).
    P0A90 is a transaxle error (Drive Motor "A" Performance).

Check the wiring harnesses coming/going to these. Sorry can't be more help on exactly where they are.

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One down and two to go. Hopefully.

I think I would expect to find the remaining two around the area where the crankcase and transaxle meet. But the chew could be some distance from that point. Probably very hard to find down in there. I don't envy you one bit. Happy hunting.

20. Integraoligist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YEP found the chew, right at the position sensor, green wire was totally eaten through... red had a few teeth marks. Fix the wires, cleared the ECU... boom, no more codes!

Thanks all for the help, I greatly appreciate it! Now on to the truck to find another chew to complete that one.