1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with the Energy Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aubergaz, May 8, 2006.

1. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I think it probably reads "Best 76 MPG" and the resolution is making the 7 look like a 1.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiloran @ May 9 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]252289[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're right- if those figures are referring to the current tank, clearly some of them exceed 60MPG. And the average of the bars on the display would be approx. 25 to 30 MPG.
    I'm not sure if the every-minute histogram is any more useful than the 5-minute display in the Prius, but it does look cool! (possible feature in '07?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aubergaz @ May 8 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]251614[/snapback]</div>
    On PriusChat, there are no stupid questions- only questions that provoke long-winded, drawn out commentary and debates containing far more information than you wanted to hear or could ever possible use :lol:

3. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aubergaz @ May 8 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]251614[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for asking...I have been looking for just these answers off and on since I got the Prius and now I know more about that part of the screen (more than the comment that filling the screen is like a video game, and the more you fill the better your score, though that now seems pretty good advice)

4. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not trying to hijack the thread but why is there no 'miles to empty' readout? I think I read somewhere that not only doesn't Toyota have this useful information on their hybrids, neither does Honda.

Unless it's there (maybe on the Nav cars) and I'm missing it, this is a baffling omission on a vehicle as high-tech as the Prius, particularly since it's almost a given to be on any new car with a trip computer.

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ May 12 2006, 08:07 AM) [snapback]254019[/snapback]</div>
    There is no 'Miles to Empty' indicator with the Nav either.

I suspect the reason they did not include such a reading is that since such features are generally calculated on the current MPG, and since the Prius can fluctuate so much, it would be meaningless. Kinda like the 'Best MPG' (?) on the Camry screenshot. :p

Just as the Prius is capable of achieving very high mileage, it is also capable of achieving very average (sub-Corolla) mileage with a heavy foot - it is just more apparent then other cars. Life by the sword, die by the sword. ;)

One tidbit I think would be very useful on the consumption screen would be if each 5-minute bar had a number inside/above it that indicated how many miles or km you travelled in that 5 minutes. That would put things a little more in perspective, and I can't see that as a very complicated software feature to add.

Speaking of software, is there any possibility Toyota will ever release firmware updates to change things like this? I can't see what would stop them from doing so, aside from not wanting the car to be looked upon as a 'personal computer'. :lol:

BTW, with regards to the Camry Hybrid, I am surprised to see the MFD - what I had heard from the Toyota reps I had spoken to in the past few months, I was told there was no MFD in the Camry, that was a Prius-only feature. Maybe something changed, or maybe they were just not informed. My money is on the latter. ;)

- Kevin
    1700km so far and loving it....

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I'll tell you what would be really cool- a USB port so that you could plug in your flash drive, download all your info, and then load it onto your PC to produce those complex Excel spreadsheets that we Prius drivers love so well :)

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 12 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]254437[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I suggested this a while back as well.
    Combine this with a CD ROM drive instead of just a player and an SDK (software developer kit) and you have a powerfully extensible system. B)