1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with this...only 2 blue bars on battery (pic)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by imfinallywright, Jun 24, 2015.

1. imfinallywright

imfinallywright New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looked at and test drove another prius today...07 with 145k. It looks to be in great shape with fairly good and up to date service records all maintained at the dealer. We have driven a few others at dealers, this one was a personal sale. We actually met at a Toyota lot as it is her dealer...when we drove it as soon as we got in it, this is a pic of what the bars looked like only two blue lit up. We didn't drive it long as my husband was a little concerned right off the bat with that but as we were driving it, there did up being about 3 or so bars and they turned purple. I have only seen the bars when we test drove to be all green and fairly high up there with only 1 or 2 ever missing. He is convinced that the hybrid batter must be going bad due to these colors and short stack of bars. Please assure me one way or the other? Or...at least give me some advice? I am thinking of maybe asking her to do a battery check at the dealer. The thing is...she is in IN and we are in IL so we drove over 2.5 hours just to look at the car and don't want to make the trip back unless for sure buying it. Let me know what you think of this...please. Thanks! I am spending way too many hours on here with you guys, you have already been soooo helpful in knowing what to look for and questions to ask! :)

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery state of charge gauge has the following number of bars and colors:

8 green bars ~ 80% state of charge
    7 green bars
    6 blue bars
    5 blue bars
    4 blue bars
    3 blue bars
    2 purple or pink bars
    1 purple or pink bars ~ 40% state of charge

When the air conditioner is running in hot summer weather and the car is being driven in stop & go traffic it is normal for the SOC gauge to show 1 or 2 bars. Otherwise when the car is being driven at speed the gauge will normally show 4-6 blue bars.

7 or 8 green bars usually happen only when the car is being driven downhill on mountainous terrain.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

GrumpyCabbie and imfinallywright like this.
  3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the seller was sitting in the car with it on waiting for you, the hybrid battery would drain to that point before the engine will kick on to maintain the charge. It should get back up to the normal 5-6 bars within a couple miles of driving.

imfinallywright likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sooner or later, they all go bad (batteries)

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    when in doubt buy a new car, you are already at the dealer

6. imfinallywright

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks so much, everyone! I know they all go bad eventually but if I can avoid one thAt already us I'm ahead I would love to purchase new...however I wouldn't love to be in debt. To purchase new, I could come home with a brand new chevy spark. :/ don't think I didn't look at it though, because I did. ;)

7. Kevin06prius

Kevin06prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Add the price of a hybrid battery installed to what you are paying for the car. If you think that is still a good deal then go for it. From what I have been told you cannot check the life of the battery so you will not know if it is about to fail. A used car with 145k miles can need a few things. I just did a tune up on mine with spark plugs and serpentine belt and other basic things at 160k. Headlight bulbs are expensive and they may be gone without you knowing it. I bought mine from the dealer with 140k miles last year and everything was working fine. And hour into the drive home a headlight was out and the door lock acuator stopped working. Acuator is over $500 installed. Headlight is between $50 and $300 depending on what you get and where you get it from. To this day I still have headlight issues and told it could be the ballast. So buying a car of that age and miles will cost you something in the near future. It's better to buy a new Corolla or Yaris for less money or a new Prius if you can afford one of you don't want surprises. If you are willing to spend $1,000 plus the cost of a hybrid battery within a year then you should be fine. I believe a Prius C is under $20k new.

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    chevy spark is Daewoo like the Yugo's of the 1990's but much worse

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    spark gets some good write ups, maybe a payoff involved, idk.

10. prius_2007

prius_2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what is the asking price?

11. imfinallywright

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, just saw this. Was asking $7200 just dropped to $6800

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately you can't tell a lot from the initial battery state, because even a brand new battery will go low like that if the Prius is left parked and in ready mode for a while. The real test is how widely and how rapidly the state of charge varies once you are driving, particularly once the engine gets up to normal temperature.

It's probably a bit difficult if you haven't done a lot of driving in other Prius's, so that you have something to compare it to. However if you can take it for a slightly longer drive, especially with some hills, it would be more telling.

#12 uart, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. stylinnnn

stylinnnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    weak mileage for both..whoa

14. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery bar means nothing to how good the battery is. If you are really serious about buying a Prius you should get a Bluetooth code reader so you can see the battery state as you are driving it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the last post date before replying.:)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. SDB54

SDB54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just bought a 2006, 134k miles, with a supposed rebuilt battery.
    I'm curious, do you ever get all green bars? My top bar never turns green (always white) is that normal, or is the battery not working 100% ?

Attached Files:

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    you can get all green under certain circumstances. down a looooonnnngggg hill, or certain highway driving.

give it some time. if it never goes all green, you just have to live with it until the battery fails

how are your average mpg's?

18. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go up to Lake Tahoe. On the way back you should get all green bars at least once.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just take it west out of the Caldecott tunnel and it’ll hit green bars;).

Our 2010 would do that frequently(y).

Skibob likes this.