1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with warning lights: Check Engine, Yellow indicator, Red triangle and car with exclamation poin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mairead, May 29, 2017.

1. Mairead

Mairead New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    20170528_174433.jpg 20170528_174422.jpg
    I have a 2007 Toyota Prius. It first started acting strangely a week ago with the AC randomly blowing warm air. Never had any problem with it before. One time I'd start the car and the AC would blow cold. Next time it would be hot. It kept alternating whenever I turned the car off and then on again. Got the AC checked. Everything was fine. They said they cleaned the system out a bit but didn't even add freon as the levels were normal. No problems with the AC after that. Now a week later, driving home, the warning buzzer went off with the display screen reading "Problem". Then these 4 warning lights came on and stayed on. No unusual noise. Car seemed to be driving ok. Once again the AC started blowing hot. Seems obvious the AC was just a symptom of a bigger problem but I don't know what. I have only had the car 3 years. Haven't had any trouble with it except when the hybrid battery died in 2015. It was under warranty still and got replaced.
    Is it safe to drive it somewhere to get checked? Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
    Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    get the codes read. Probably an electric inverter pump problem.

3. Mairead

Mairead New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They said it was the inverter pump. Error code P0A93. Going to have it replaced. Also, they claimed the drive belts are very worn. Should I be worried about that or are they trying to make some extra money? They said my air filters need replaced too and I just replaced them 1 year ago.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PC. Sorry about your pump.

Inverter pump seems to me like a "must fix." Better deal with that right away.

You only have one drive belt that I ever saw or heard of and it's for the water pump. If yours hasn't been changed, it probably needs it. Look for yourself. If it's cracking, replace it. If it breaks, you'll have a warped head in no time flat. The belt is like $15, if I remember right, and not hard to change as long as you don't have big, thick arms. I changed mine in about 15 minutes, counting time spent looking it over to decide the easiest way.

As for the air filters, dealers make a fortune changing them. It's like buying three cents worth of iced tea at a restaurant for $2.50. Go back to the parts department and get them there. You can change the engine and cabin air filters both in a couple minutes. IF they actually need it. Look for yourself.

5. Mairead

Mairead New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah...they want to charge $147 for the belt. Guess that is for the part + labor. I'm not all that mechanically inclined. I'm still learning. Not sure how simple it is to replace something like that myself. Was reading how the cabin air filter can be reached right through the glove box. That sounds easy enough I'm not going to pay them to do that.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you going for this repair? What city are you in?

Changing the belt is not that hard, but most times if the belt is worn, your water pump is probably worn too. If you have the proper tools (basic ratchet and socket set), it should take only 30 minutes to change the belt.

Many repair shops like to scare customers into getting unnecessary repairs, so maybe you should get a second opinion of these "needed" repairs if you're not that familiar with them.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can put on your shoes, you can replace the cabin air filter. It really is that easy. And the engine air filter is even easier. Tools needed: just your fingers.

8. Mairead

Mairead New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know! I skipped having them replace it since they were both replaced last year. Going to look up how to access them and see for myself rather they need replaced or just cleaned.

9. Mairead

Mairead New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota dealership in Fresno, CA. Haven't found a local mechanic yet that works on hybrids.
    I had them pop the hood and let me look at the belt myself. It is just barely beginning to show some signs of wear, tiny cracks and such. So it didn't need replaced yet. Just trying to scare me probably...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you near luscious garage, or art's automotive?