1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Window Tinting Before I Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by anti-gas, Apr 5, 2008.

1. anti-gas

anti-gas Reduce, Reuse and Conserve

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an '08 Package5 Prius includes NAV. The owners manual says not to use Metal Tint on the windows as it may interfere with the AM radios reception. I have no idea why that would be. The dealer tells me that the outside antenna on the roof does the AM/FM as well as the GPS antenna for the NAV.

Other people on the message boards are talking about Metal Tint interfering with the NAV system.

I really have to tint my windows soon as I am roasting here in S.Florida, however I want to know the facts before I do anything.

Where is the NAV antenna? I can't get a straight answer from anywhere.

Is there any issues with using Metalized tint on this car? It seems that all the better tints have metal in them. The cheaper tints tend to go purple in 3 years and I really don't want the garbage on my car.

Thanks for everyones help here.

:confused:

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So Fla here. My tint shop said the same thing that I suspected is bull sh*t. I didn't get into it with them as they had already tinted 2 of my other cars and they were perfect and had always did a good job. They recommended "ceramic" tint which is what I got for $ 200 installed and it looks great. All windows with the band along the top of the windshield.

Attached Files:

3. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    it wont hurt anything

4. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The top tints are ceramic, more expensive than metallic and will not interfere one bit. There is a chance that metallic may interfere, but that's not 100% guaranteed. Go for ceramic tint, you won't be disappointed.

5. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a metallic tint on my '06 and don't have any problems. I believe that there is a warning that metallic tint could affect the low tire warning system. but mine appears fine.

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What percentage tinting did you get? The front side windows look much lighter. Thanks.

7. anti-gas

anti-gas Reduce, Reuse and Conserve

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can anyone recommend brands of tint? Around here the biggest name in tint is Llumar.

Would like to know tint brands and model #'s or specific product type of the brand. Thanks.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good catch your right. Everything behind the fronts is limo. The fronts are a little bit lighter and only have a band around the top of the windshield because I hate a dark windshield. My salesman said the SKS feature would not work right with metallic but now I think he meant maybe the tire pressure senders. He did guaranty no problems with the ceramic which is what I got and its perfect. Ask around at your work where peeps got there's done.

9. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    im planning to do it by myself
    35% front except winshield and 20% at the back. is that a good match?

10. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should look good I went with 20% all the way around and put a 8 inch strip on front windshield....I also did not get the small window on back tinted it all ready tinted about 20%..There are so many windows on this thing it really looks lighter than 20%..

Attached Files:

11. ad78

ad78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    @sandman - where did you buy your tint?

12. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a guy here in morehead do it a place called the tint shoppe sorry if my post was misleading no way I could do that myself its best left to the professionals...

13. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did 35% all around. It is plenty dark and I like that all the windows are the same darkness.

14. 911turbox50

911turbox50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just did 20% all around...Thinking about doing the windshield at 35%. Has anyone done the whole windshield? What are your thoughts?

15. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Check with your state regs. Many states allow no tinting of the front window except the upper 4-6 inches.

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I dont think tinting the front is a good idea. Definately hurts your night vision.

17. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, and if the tinting was too dark, they'd have to change the name of the car to a Toyota Unosius.:D

18. Ruff Rider

Ruff Rider New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In Utah it is illegal to tint the front window. My friend did his front window in 50% tint. It didn't hurt night driving at all and in the day it is fantastic. This was on a BMW not a Prius. I would do it if I could find a shop to install it. They won't because if they get caught doing it they get a heavy fine. The shop that did his is no longer in business. :(

19. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Who would need to tint their windshield!? Seems like a dumb idea, buy a nice pair of sunglasses.

20. chefboyarlee

chefboyarlee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in California, and I just got my 08 tinted yesterday. I did 50 in the front and 15 in the rears. It looks awesome. 50 in the front is against the law, but it definitely isn't dark at all. I figure that I will immediately roll the windows down if I get pulled over.