1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with Window Tinting Before I Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by anti-gas, Apr 5, 2008.

1. anti-gas

anti-gas Reduce, Reuse and Conserve

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its been a while and I really have not received much help on getting my windows tinted, however I have called every tint shop in my local area and no one has Ceramic Tint. One person says there was problems with it in Germany and it is no longer made, besides being very expensive.

I am told by every tint shop they install metalized tint on the Toyota Prius all the time and they never have any issues with them. Also, one guy told me if it was a concern of mine, I should use Carbon Fiber tint, but it was extreamely expensive, like more than double the cost of metal tint. The brand is Llumar that everyone here is using, there is another brand called Suntek, available, however there are not many people selling the Suntek.

I would appreciate all comments on this from people. Thanks.:confused:

2. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite sure ceramic tints are still being made and installed, although it's been over a year since I've had mine installed. Anyhow, here's the shop that did my tint:

Mobile Tint and Auto Alarms of San Antonio Texas Window Films

They used FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic tint. At my request, they tinted the front driver/passenger windows at legal 35% (legal in Texas that is) including the tiny triangle windows by the windshield, everything else including all back, side and rear windows and even the banner across the windshield was done in... I want to say it was 15%. Oh yeah, the short little window on the back hatch I think was done in 35% because it was already slightly darker and ended up having about the same darkness as the rest of the back windows.

While I was there, I also had them put a protective film on the headlights (kind of like a clear bra) and the fog lights. That film was Llumar. I think the total for both the window tint and headlights/fogs was around $400.

Did I mention I love my tinted windows? The ceramic tint provides great heat rejection and I haven't had any problems with the GPS at all.

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My nav system worked under 3 levels of cement garage with tinting. I was blown away. If 3o feet of cement wont stop it I doubt tinting will.

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have 35% tint all around (except front windshield). It is not ceramic. My GPS works fine.

5. 911turbox50

911turbox50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have SunTek Carbon Series 20% all around...35% on windshield...No problems with Navi, bluetooth, ect...

Attached Files:

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's no way you were receiving a GPS signal. If you think it was working because you could see the car move around on the map, that's because it was using the dead reckoning (inertial) system. I think the icon in the upper left changes when the system switches between GPS and dead reckoning.

7. Goldwingerx2

Goldwingerx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We have the 30 percent metalic tint all around except the windshield which has a 5 inch band across the top. No problems with GPS or tire sensors. Sure makes a difference on how the car heats up. Ours is darker than the front door windows are supposed to be by law, but we had the same tint on our Matrix for 4 years without a problem so we decided to try it again.

8. cephas

cephas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone has recommendation of good tint shops in So.Cal?:eek:

9. mheinle

mheinle New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am getting my tint done in a few days with Metalized tint. I was going to go with Film but I actually spoke to the dealership and they recomended Meatalized tint....Just an FYI

10. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, so I didn't search the forums but I just gotta' ask....

How is tinting supposed to affect the tire pressure sensors? I feel like I'm missing something.

Bob

11. anti-gas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Tire Pressure sensors work on a wireless signal (Radio Frequency). Some tints have metal particles in the tint. Metal attenuates Radio Waves or "Blocks" the Radio Signal.

Not to mention that there is the issue with AM radio reception if you have metal tint on your windows as the AM receiving antenna I believe is in the glass. The owners manual in my 2008 says not to use metal tint as this will affect AM radio reception.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Even the Toyota Dealership uses Metalized Tint on the Prius and says it is fine, you won't have any problems but then again, what does a salesman know and I don't think Toyota would have printed that if it was not an issue.

So for now, I roast in my hot car with no tint till I can come up with a solution since there doesn't seem to be any tint in my neck of the woods without metal in it. Ceramic Tint I am told is super expensive and they all tell me its not longer made, none of the tint dealers here sell anything but metal tint or the cheap stuff that has no metal in it but they all say will turn purple in 2-3 years if not sooner.

12. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anti-Gas
    If I were you I would ask the tinter if they will "guarantee" that the metal film will not interfere, and if it does, will they remove it at no cost. If that is the case then it is no harm, no foul to give it a try. I am in the same position you are except they do have ceramic here but it will be almost $500 to do my car all around. I want the tint, but not that bad!
    Fernsmom

13. anti-gas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FL only allows the very light tint in the windows and that is worthless as far as I'm concerned. If I have them tint using the darker stuff (non-legal tint), then they will not give you anything in writing not even a receipt and they take only cash payments for that. I'm basically screwed. I just may go with the Carbon Fiber tint. Its the only thing out there that I have found that has no metal in it but man they want between $400 & $600 to do the car in it. It offers slightly less of a heat blocking % than the metal, but only 5%. Still thinking about it. The Metal Tint they will do for $150 give or take.

14. anti-gas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Help with Window Tinting Before I Tint - Finalized

Well, just thought I would post a conclusion to my dilemma. I finally got my windows tinted 2 months ago and had a nice long test of the tint. I wound up using the same brand tint I have used on all of my cars for the past 25 years, Llumar Tint. I used their metal tint on all the side windows and on the back window that has the AM antenna in it, I used their tint that did not have the metal particles in it, and I used the non-metal tint in the front strip that is their limo tint (really dark 5%). I know that the GPS antenna is located on top of the MFD inside the display and it will work with or without metal tint on the front strip, however, it does decrease the signal of the GPS reception. I did not want to cut that down at all. Bottom line, if your in an area w/o metal tint on the front strip where GPS signal is very low, say mountains, then with the metal strip, you will get even lower or no signal. I opted for max signal wherever I am. Also the same is true with the back window and the AM antenna. I listen to AM and do not want to lower my AM receive, so I opted for non-metal there. There is no such thing as Titanium tint other than a blatant name they put on it, nor is there Carbon Fiber (another name for Tint), or Ceramic tint as this is not made any longer due to issues with the process and it IS still metalized particles, not true ceramic. I got this information for 3 different Tint manufactures. I used Llumar ATR15% on my side windows w/metal, the front was ATHR 5%, no metal and the back was ATHR 15% no metal. $150 paid and full Lifetime warranty in writing. So there you have it. That's the way to go!

PS> Forgot to mention, that the amount of heat that my tint keeps out of my car is totally unbelievable! My car used to be 130 degrees in the car w/o tint, 2 days later, though several weeks, it didn't get past 110 in the hot sun. The lame Prius AC system, cooled the car off so much quicker with the tint on the windows. I do notice that the front and back window tint gets much hotter than the sides as it has less solar reflectivity w/o the metal in it, but that is the sacrifice I made for good GPS coverage and 100% perfect AM reception.

15. echase

echase New Member

Thanks for the report. Huper optic and Formula One both make highly regarded ceramic tints. They also have restrictive dealer programs, giving dealers large exclusive territories, and insisting on top customer satisfaction. I think this is why other dealers poo-poo it, but I could be wrong. Tintdude.com is a forum for tinters, but it's pretty juvinile at times. FWIW, I did my own, using precut from snaptint.com... it's not terribly difficult, but I did mess up the first window since I didn't know how to clean it properly (squegee dry, no paper towel dust, doh). I havn't done the back yet, because I'm not sure if I'm up for the heat-shrinking process (which I'm not totally sure is neccesary).

Does anyone know if the rear windows can be tinted without heat shrinking?

16. anti-gas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, you absolutely MUST use a heat gun to shrink/bend the tint on the rear window. There is just enough curve in the glass to require this.

17. echase

echase New Member

Thanks Andrew, I was afraid of this... glad I didn't try to do without.