1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Won't start with red padlock light on dash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steelerfan2018, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all,
    A bit of an emergency, I need help.
    Went to get into my car this morning and the key fob did not work to open the car, I had to use the key. Both of my key fobs have new batteries.
    I tried starting the car with no success - it basically does nothing except the red light with the padlock symbol. I have never seen this before.
    Could this be a problem with a 12v battery? I have recently had issues with losing MPG (see my other recent thread).
    Any and all help appreciated!
    Rob

privilege likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the Gen 3, I think you should be able to hold the fob up to the power button and it will detect the RFID chip inside to allow starting the car. Its the backup mode in case the wireless stops working.

3. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fixed - it was the 12v battery. Swapped out the battery this morning and all is well.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad that's what it was. I would have suggested that since that's what happens with an almost dead 12V.

The red padlock light simply means that the immobilizer system is active because the car is off. You might not have seen it, but it's always blinking if the car is off.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.10.59 AM.png