1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help wtih P3009 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Big_boss213, May 22, 2018.

1. Big_boss213

Big_boss213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So before I get into the code issue, I got this car and was working fine till 1 day the dash lights went out, I was told was the battery and got Varta brand. After that the car would not start, then I found out was the contamination meter, Toyota replace it for 680 dollars and was fine. But one day I was driving and the car suddenly had the red triangle and the ((!)) light on and the VSC. Car was working fine, I drove it but when I turn it off it didn't not turn back on. Took it to the dealer and they said was because the intake was super dirty and they clean it, that was another 280 dollars and the lights kept popping up. I ask if it was because i put a non toyota battery and they said nope, varta is good brand and i should be find with it. Then toyota said to me the code was p3009 and that the problem came from the AC and that my ac wasn't working. HOWEVER, my ac works great and blows out the pretty good cold air. So I didn't trust toyota again and got me a mini VCI cord and tech stream and found out the code problem. But finding out the problem was only half the battle, now is how do I tackle this problem. That is because this code can come up because of Hybrid battery, Inverter, AC and transmission....

The code keeps popping up its code p3009 "High Voltage Leak" Only the TechStream app reads this code, but my regular code scanner can deletes this code, once i delete it the car starts back up. I kept deleting it over and over, until one day the car shut off in the middle of the highway i pulled up and when i tried to start the car back again it will light up but said hybrid battery was out of charge.... I waited 10 minutes disconnected the back the little battery (was in the middle of no where and no phone signal) and then the car start it back up, the hybrid battery said it had 3 bars. But 10 minutes into my drive and "BINGG" the red triangle ((!)) and VSC lights came back up, got home and didn't drive the car since then.

I watch a video from Dorman and they said that to figure out where the problem P3009 is coming from to do a procedure,
    here is the link. I tried this method and the light came on on the first step meaning is a problem from the Hybrid battery. But is there a better way to isolate the problem? I need you guys expertise to guide me on how to go about this. Everywhere I go I get ask over 100 dollars to diagnosed and about 4k to repair. I don't have the kind of cash, I feel confident I can do the job but I have only summer to fix it because on August I start school again. or Should I just give up and go get me a new car? (I don't want to make payments) Or keep driving it just reset the code every time I drive? I feel if I take the car to a place to get it "fix" I will spend more money than I have saved up during my 6 months having this car....

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Open up the battery pack, and check for leaks from the individual modules. You can see signs of the leaks from the battery pan, and even seeing heavy corrosions on the bus bars.

Remove the modules one by one, and measure voltages from wither terminals of the modules, to the battery pack pan(ground). You should be some voltage measurements depicting voltage path to ground already.

Sometimes replacing the said leaked modules would take care of the problem.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and clean any corrosion.