1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HEMI versus Hybrid Challenge - Chrysler 300C vs Lexus GS 450h

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As we mentioned in last week's introduction, our "HEMI versus Hybrid" event emerged from a discussion over dinner about V8 engines and battery power (yes, cars are all we talk about...). People still swoon over classic muscle cars, the argument went, but what's to love about a hybrid?

Then again, a modern V8 is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering, and we've driven some very quick hybrids. It's about time they went head-to-head, we thought -- brawn versus brains, old versus new, the combustion chamber versus the voltaic cell (well, sort of) -- it's about time somebody dropped the chequered flag.

CanadianDriver: Feature - HEMI versus Hybrid Challenge: Chrysler 300C vs Lexus GS 450h

Also: CanadianDriver: Feature - Hemi vs. Hybrid: a professional driver's take

Finally a comparison that compares a hybrid with its proper gasoline counterpart.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On the "scenic" section of the road, with cruise control set, the Lexus 450h averaged 35mpg U.S. and the Chrysler averaged 28mpg U.S. For the Lexus ... pretty nice! 35mpg. For the Chrysler ... I don't believe it. Yeah, it's a magazine and not a manufacturer test, and I do believe the test was unbiased, but 28mpg for a HEMI ??? Wait a sec. Does Hemi have the cylinder-deactivation fuel-management technology? If so, then I suppose this is possible. What I do NOT like about this article is that although they do have an accelerating/decelerating "normal conditions" highway portion of their test, there is no city test. There needs to be a city test, with stoplights, stop signs, and other drivers on the road. For the "normal highway" test, the 450h reported 29.5mpg U.S. and the Chrysler reported 26mpg U.S. Again, I still don't believe it. They said the highway conditions involved accelerating, decelerating and "normal conditions." I don't believe it. My pickup truck (before I bought my Corolla) averaged about 10mpg under "normal" driving conditions (when gas was $2.00 per gallon - yeah, it hasn't been that long ago).

**[(3.78L/gal)/(L/100km)](62.5mi)

3. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    although i admire the time and effort put into the test...a proper comparison should have been with a Lexus counterpart that is NOT a hybrid

lexus gs460 or gs350 V lexus gs450h

my .02 :cool:

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh... I was just writing up some reflections on muscle cars
    a few days ago, and this pair of articles is sort of up the
    same alley but of course doesn't get into the more physics-
    oriented aspects of ecodriving.
    _H*

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't either. Friends of my Dad picked up a 300C a little over 2 years ago. They drive like you'd expect any couple in their late 70's to drive, very gently

In Winnipeg city driving, they're lucky to average 15 mpg summer, 10 mpg winter. That's Imperial gallon, not US gallon: there are 4.54 litres per Imperial, 3.78 litres per US gallon

On the drive to their vacation place at Whiteshell, they usually get 25 mpg, once they got 28 mpg. If any driving would bring the variable cylinder management into play, theirs would.

The Chrylser replaced a 2002 Buick LeSabre, which was a far superior car in every measure: nicer ride, far better fuel economy, etc

In winter, the car is downright dangerous unless it is shod with winter tires

However, they'll soon be done with the 300C. Like a lot of older folks, they have a hard time getting into a car, then getting back out after they stop. Sometime this month they will be picking up a new Chrysler Town and Country minivan.

When they were trying it out they stopped by my house and took my dad and me for a spin. It actually is a very nice, comfy vehicle. Very easy for an elderly person to get into, just the right step-in height

Getting back to the 300C, according to the EPA, it will get 15 city and 23 highway

6. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice article.

Incidentally, it highlights some of the pitfalls many have when trying to make sense of Canadian consumption measure - L/100km.
    Many fail to realize that, unlike MPG or KM/L, L/100km is NOT a linear measure. The lower the consumption, the more impact even small improvements make. How far off can 5L/100km and 6L/100km be? - as far as the difference between 16km/l and 20km/l...
    I've seen some manufacturers take advantage of this fact when reporting/highlighting fuel efficiency numbers.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah it's with MDD (Multi-Displacement Deactivation?) so it has cylinder deactivation. Also note an "error" in their article about changing highway speeds then compare to the table. They quoted the wrong number given what they wrote :whistle:.

True but why compare it to itself? Why not compare it to highlight the technology of HSD? Compare it to something "cheaper to produce and cost less than a hybrid) and show how you really can have your cake and eat it too.

8. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    because lots of people compare the operating cost from a conventional car to its hybrid counterpart, since the lexus comes in both hybrid and non-hybrid models, its the best comparo scenario

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True...

but like the Prius vs. Corolla, Prius vs. Aveo, Prius vs. Yaris. it gets boring after a while.

e.g. a TCH will lose to a Camry V6 in straight line and drag but will beat it in FE. The GS450h beat the 300C in almost everything.

10. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    forget the prius nothing compares to it anyway hehe

as far as the hybrid v conventional test...that would be quite intereting, not just on performance but over all experience (cost of ownership, resale, pretty much pros and cons of the entire package) my .02

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the idea was to compare 2 different methods of achieving good fuel consumption from a vehicle with good performance and appointments. This was a comparison of hybrid versus engine management to achieve performance and economy.

Which Lexus uses cylinder deactivation?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    none. Unless you count the HSD ones in which case it's all the cylinders.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a similar discussion over at the FJ forum when some members thought EU market vehicles, especially the diesel ones, got *far* better fuel economy than what is for sale in the US

Fuel economy in the EU is also in l/100km. When it is converted to MPG, especially in the UK, it's *always* converted to miles per IMPERIAL gallon

The FJ forum members then realized the fuel economy wasn't so impressive after all, especially when you factor in diesel costing upwards of $5 per US gallon