1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here are the safest and most dangerous cars on the road...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mike500, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hkmb likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an interesting article.

I wonder what it means, though. The article itself seems to suggest that the cars with the higher rates of death per million registrations are inherently more dangerous places to be than those with the lowest. But the study is a straight study of deaths per million registrations, and doesn't cover other variables. The two "most dangerous" cars were the Kia Rio and the Hyundai Accent. But they're very common first cars for teenagers here, and I assume they would be in America too. So they're often being driven by inexperienced young people. Also, those cars - certainly here, and again I'd assume in America - are very common rental cars. So they're often being driven by people who are unfamiliar with the cars and unfamiliar with the roads. The other big market for the Rio and Accent is very old people, who have slow reactions (I grew up in a retirement town, and the driving was appalling). All of these factors must skew the results significantly.

Trollbait, fuzzy1 and Mike500 like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note also that the study examines only drivers. Passengers and non-occupants are excluded.

I don't know how big a deal this exclusion is with respect to passengers, but it is very significant with respect to non-occupants -- pedestrians, cyclists, and occupants of other vehicles getting tangled in multi-vehicle crashes.

hkmb likes this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. A lot of the best-rated cars are the type of big SUV that regularly reverse over kids in driveways, for example.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I remember 'studies' from previous years in which a Chevy/Ford was rated deadlier than a Buick/Mercury. The cars were badge engineered models though. So any difference between them was most likely due to the drivers.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "...Cars are still susceptible to physics: Bigger cars proved safer than smaller ones."

People with an automotive Napoleonic complex are always bending numbers this way and that way to make smaller cars "statistically safer" than larger ones.

I'd still rather take a crash in one of the company trucks than my company's Prius. ;)

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those SUV front ends also earned that nickname, 'Battering Rams of Death'.

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this is a good example of poor reporting in US. who is going to be a safer driver, a 50 year old man in Mercedes-Benz GL-Class 4WD or a teenager in a Kia Rio?

furthermore, there are fewer accidents because people drive less.

and BTW, "garantirovanny grob" means guaranteed tomb.

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should leave my family out of this. 25 years ago, my Dad was the 50-year-old in the expensive car and I was the teenager in the cheap car. And I was the one who didn't total his car. And I was the one who my Mum and sister would ask to drive. This isn't because I'm a particularly good driver; it's because Dad is remarkably bad, in large part because he's overconfident.

But I think if we leave my family out of this, you're right, and that was my point too.

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are no dangerous cars, just dangerous drivers... alright, maybe there are some dangerous cars.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I once hired a Rover 214 that had no brakes.

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One in particular does come to mind.

[​IMG]

At least this guy has a sense of humor about it... :unsure:

:eek:

tpenny67 and fuzzy1 like this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By today's standards, almost everything pre-1997 is dangerous.

The Electric Me and KennyGS like this.
  15. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    True.

I drove without a seatbelt for several years after I became licensed, in fact I might have even taken my test while not wearing a seatbelt - I can't remember.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drove small compact cars for years with no power steering or air bags. And, I drove everywhere across the United States. The only accidents that I had were slow ones in parking lots and some idiot running red lights or stop signs, where I was too close to stop before hitting them.

Some people drive like they are dead to the world in a video game.

Others are totally aware, feel every thing in the steering and the road, and are constantly in the lookout for dangerous situations.

No passive or active safety device can substitute for a good driver.

The Electric Me and KennyGS like this.
  17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Literal translations are not always the best idiomatic translations from one language to another.

A car is more relatable to a coffin than a tomb in the context of the comparison..

I remember the English translation for the Peruvian terrorist group El Sendero Luminoso was "the shining path," when a more appropriate translation would have been "the enlightened path."

Understanding cultures and the situation in which an idiom is used is very important to a good translation.

George Washington signed a French document attesting to have assassinated French settlers at Jumonville, after his surrender at Fort Necessity during the French and Indian War, because he had a poor translator. The situational context of the translation was missing.

I just loved Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray in the Sophia Coppola Movie, Lost in Translation.

#17 Mike500, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true.

But while the best drivers can stay out of most trouble, they cannot avoid everything. Some fertilizer still happens, either faster than humans can react or from directions that are not practically foreseeable. Especially on roads crowded with drivers of much lower awareness.

When that fertilizer happens, today's cars are far more protective of the occupants than cars of two decades ago, which in turn were far better than the cars two decades before that.

Unfortunately, typical humans are also subject to some risk homeostasis. Because of this, numerous safety improvements produce less benefit than initial theory suggests that they should. And the increased sloppiness of some increases risk to everyone sharing the road with them.

#18 fuzzy1, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    update:
    we learned from the news recently that Mercedes SUV 4WD is not the safest car after all. it "killed" a driver and 7 other people. makes you wonder if the driver had enough insurance for that.

20. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Id rather take a crash in a Prius than in a Smart car.
    I argued here for weeks in the past about why they are less safe.
    Smart car advertised the frame does not deform in a high speed collision.
    I argued it was due to light weight in the test,but occupants would suffer from lack of any crush zone absorbing impact energy.
    Curious what the death rate for Smart cars is.
    Funny the guy who was the biggest supporter of the safety of the Smart car ,drove a Highlander.