1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here comes $100 oil, and $3 gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cacti, Oct 26, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    got call from dealer, will have my Zenn by end of next week if all goes well. they will get delivery Tues. will put on Ext Batt and 35 mph upgrade....sooo, i hope gas goes to $5 and stays there.

only then will the money flow towards other options for energy. $5 a gallon will create a mjor hardship for many americans and unfortunately, we need to bleed first before the we see any help.

only when a major portion of our spending money is diverted from the major retailers will there be some real mony put behind getting more and better EV's and plug ins on the road.

2. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(poleikleng @ Oct 26 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]530804[/snapback]</div>

It's been my belief that $3.00 or below gas
    is only available now because the current
    administration aided by the oil companies are holding it low.
    It would be suicide for the current party in power
    to handle iraq, sub-prime mortage
    failure, etc. and have the consumer price of gas
    rise to it's true level....right now...
    My belief is as soon as the election is over the
    oil companies will pull the roof off the price at the pump.
    That's when we'll be really glad for our Prius's.....

just my thoughts
    Froley

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Froley, i echo your thoughts. been thinking that ever since gas went down about 40 cpg just before last presidential primaries

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Oct 26 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]530825[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the thread title should have been $4 gas? $3 gas is almost as hazy a memory as $2 gas....

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 27 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]531210[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent! The Zenn is a great NEV. I love the 4-wheel disk brakes and real doors, etc. Getting the power rag top?

Yes, we're well past the point where "nobody gets hurt." I get angry comments about my thoughts on gas prices. I say they're too low, and I'm told that I'm just hurting the poor people. No... it is the people who have been driving their stupid guzzlers all these years, and who refuse to give them up today, that are causing the hurt. I'm just trying to get everybody who uses gasoline to shoulder their share of the hurt.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Froley @ Oct 27 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]531259[/snapback]</div>
    Not just gas but everything will hit the fan.

And they'll blame it on the Democrats.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Froley @ Oct 27 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]531259[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting concept. However, for that scenario to occur, there would have to be some sort of disruption in supply. Things like refinery fires, or multiple refineries being shut down for 'maintenance' would need to be orchestrated for the refinery companies to have the price at the pump skyrocket.

If the democrats win the presidential election as well as keep or increase the congressional margins, you can bet there will be investigations of any supply disruption. If there is even a hint of an attempt to manipulate supply, you will see refinery company executives being perp-walked to the courthouse for their assignment to free room and board with restricted visitation rights.

8. Tiki Robot

Tiki Robot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 28 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]531457[/snapback]</div>
    Assuming, of course, that Democrats are also not bought and paid for by the oil companies. That remains to be seen, but I wouldn't put any money on the integrity of any politician who takes campaign contributions from these companies.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiki Robot @ Oct 28 2007, 05:36 AM) [snapback]531529[/snapback]</div>
    That is kind of a summary of the difference between the d's and r's when it comes to money and politics - the d's will listen to the pitch that a contributor make. The r's will repay the debt (such as with contracts in Iraq for the likes of Blackwater, Halliburton, etc.) If you want to engage in serious conspiracy theory, look at the price of oil since 2000.... What is the best way to repay a debt to the oil industry???? How about increasing the price of oil.... The value of reserves owned by the industry went up by way more than was contributed....

10. snakeman

snakeman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 28 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]531535[/snapback]</div>
    Are you trying to say that the government has any control over the price of oil per barrel? Last I checked, that price was based on global comodities traders and speculators. If you want to make a case for a way in which one government of one nation (with an ever-weakening dollar) can manipulate a global market, I'd be interested in hearing it.....

Back on-topic, the price of oil will continue to go upward as supply decreases relative to demand - that's just basic economics 101. The real question is how long governmental supports can insulate the American public from the effects that increase in the cost of crude should have on the cost of gasoline at the pumps. Once we reach that wake-up point as a nation things should get real intersting really quickly as the folks in power will have the money to not have to worry about that cost increase on them personally, but they will have to worry about how it affects the voting blocks that keep them in power as increases in gas costs will hit the poorest first and work their way up the system. Hey, maybe this is "trickle up economics"....

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snakeman @ Oct 28 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]531597[/snapback]</div>
    If you doubt the ability of one particular individual to affect the price of oil, check what happened to the price after the most recent comment about World War III. For further confirmation, check what happened to the price of oil after banking sanctions were slapped on the Revolutionary Guards. When you have your finger on the ability to start a nuclear winter, people do listen to you.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 28 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]531622[/snapback]</div>
    So when Clinton wins the presidency and oil prices keep going up, does that mean she took her take in oil money?

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Oct 28 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]531670[/snapback]</div>
    That is a bit of an oversimplification/overextension of the logic. Presuming Hillary wins the presidency and she continues dubya's belicosity, then an argument could be made (especially if campaign finance records show significant contributions from the oil industry).

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 28 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]531672[/snapback]</div>
    True. But if/when we know she did not take any money and oil prices still going up, then how is Bush be the cause of oil price going up now?

China and India are buying up oil like crazy for the last couple of years and driving up the price. It is a fact that most of the middle east's oil goes to those two countries.

So why the hell is America's money and kids getting killed for India and China? That is what frustrates me even more than just killing for oil.

15. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 28 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]531672[/snapback]</div>
    I think Hilary would cover her tracks better than that. She seems pretty adept at routing questionable donations through neutral channels, or at least she's good at finding people who do.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Oct 28 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]531689[/snapback]</div>
    You don't spend as much time in politics as Bill and Hillary have and not learn the finer points of how/when to accept campaign contributions. But even with that proviso, there would be the requirement to continue dubya's belicosity. That I don't think Hillary is stupid enough to do. Also, there is the track record of using the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to dampen prices.... Bill sold oil short and then when prices were lower, bought back to replenish the reserve and in the process, made a contribution to reducing the deficit. No such patriotism from the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue....

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Oct 28 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]531684[/snapback]</div>
    See my earlier comment about how Bill f**ked with the speculators by selling short from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. dubya has steadfastly resisted the opportunity to play games for the nation's benefit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Oct 28 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]531684[/snapback]</div>
    That explains an upward trend in prices; not new records in the absence of any spike in demand. Nothing happened to demand, yet after the WWIII comment oil sets a new record.

Ya gotta make the world safe for democracy somehow. At a burn rate of $2.4 trillion (and I personally think the cost will be more like $3+ trillion - the CBO only extrapolated 10 years; do you think all of the hideously wounded veterans are going to die in 10 years????), you are talking about investments that need to be made to enhance U.S. prosperity being deferred. It will take at least a generation to dig out of dubya's legacy.

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, there's some twisted cause/effect thinking. Send our finest
    over to get their asses shot off so we can keep the wal-marts
    stocked. hmmm..
    _H*

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 28 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]531765[/snapback]</div>
    I am not sure if you are referring to a comment I made, but in no way should anyone interpret my comments as supporting a war of choice that in no way was related to a threat that we faced as a nation. In my opinion, the Iraq cesspool was an act of arrogance born of a fundamental stupidity that is the responsibility of the justices that decided to award the election to dubya. We went from a position of almost 'righteousness' in the aftermath of 9/11 to being feared and resented (and hated as occupiers in Iraq).