1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here is a question I have yet to see...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BillMelder, May 2, 2022.

1. BillMelder

BillMelder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I've searched the forums for about two hours and haven't found anything regarding this.

So last weekend I was replacing the battery modules (cells) on my 2007 Toyota Prius Hybird Battery. I happened to strip the post on one of the modules. So I decided it would be a great idea to tap n die the post right there next to the other cells. Well the the tap and die tool hit the post of one of the other cells and a spark ignited. With that said... is there anything I should be looking out for on the battery to see if anything shorted out? I just want to make sure I check before I put the battery back in the car.

Thank you!

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just use a voltmeter to (carefully) check the voltages of the affected battery modules. Really, electrically I expect things to be fine. A Prius battery is designed to output 150-200 Amps for some seconds- if there was a sustained arc that would probably burn away most of the connecting stud. A few sparks ain't nothing.

What happened is a demonstration of why HV safety practices gotta be followed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

anothertckt and Yosarian like this.
  3. BillMelder

BillMelder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for responding. I work on maybe one of these batteries every week. I agree, I need to demonstrate better safety practices. I do wear gloves but I wasn't using the best judgement that day. I figured it would be a pain to take everything apart again... Hindsight I should have.

Again Thank you!

I'm doing a stereo and headlight upgrade I plan to share soon!