1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

here is my driving technique

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by feethanddooth, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    helio, cruise control is hard in city traffic, but that only makes you think ahead more often.

cruise control reacts rather slowly that is why we must learn to anticipate farther ahead than normal.

i probably average a dozen or more adjustments per mile. at first it was cumbersome but i have been doing it so long now, its almost second nature now.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm, +1 or +2. If that is not compensated to achieve same total radius as OEM, and the tires are bigger, you could show to have lower MPG than you actually are doing, though you'd be travelling further than you thought you were too.

Let's say it normally takes 1 gallon of gas to go 50 miles, and that takes 10K revolutions of the tire.
    Now you increase the size of the tires. You still need 1 gallon of gas to go the same 50 miles, but now your tires turned 9K times, so now your odometer shows 49 miles for the same gallon of gas. Your actuall road MPG hasn't changed, but your MFD and calculated MPG has gone down.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [font=Times New Roman:a03aee51bd] [/font:a03aee51bd] Hello Evan: But I thought it was those little green cars that symbolised the quantity of regeneration that was being returned in the form 50KWH units. WHICH allowed a better charge to a nice green battery WHICH allowed one to either freewheel or use electric only. I always use B when appropriate, to aid in stopping, 100-200 feet before intersection, with slight braking pressure or going downhill to lessen speed. Question: John said: Slightly touch brake pedal when slowing to increase regeneration, why should touching the brake pedal increase regeneration, when just slowing down appears to be just as effective. I see no difference. Thankyou. Andy. 2005 Silver, 2 months old. Last short trip= 58AvMPG on MFD. ( extremely conservative driving ) W/O PO the average speeder! :)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think that is 50WH not 50KWH

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, the OD should be the same, whether you "plus" or "minus" size from OEM. Like when my folks got new winter tires this winter for their 2003 Buick LeSabre Celebration Edition, they went -1.

The factory is a 16 inch wheel and they put on 15 inch wheels and tires with the same OD. You do this to go with a narrower tire for winter, so the tire will have a better chance of digging down to catch solid pavement.

I've spoken to folks who have +1 or +2 sized on their car or pickup truck. It seems a common complaint is loss of fuel economy. I'm wondering if the wider tire has much higher rolling resistance?

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, I realized this, that's why I mentioned being sure the tire height is properly compensated to maintain OD.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The little green cars are better than no regenerative braking at all, but better than that is no braking at all. Thus, the real world compromise is to minimize braking and thus minimize green cars. Part and parcel to that, however, is that all (or as much as possible) of your braking should be regenerative and avoid the friction brakes. On my commute I make it a challenge to go the 12 miles with 8-9 stop lights and accumulate 4 or fewer green cars during the trip. If I see more than 6 I can guarantee that my mpg is down b/c that means I did more braking, thus more accelerating from a stop and thus lower mpg driving.

There is a difference b/w coasting regeneration and light braking regen....whether you feel it or not.