1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here is Verizon's official answer...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DocVijay, Dec 7, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I think that's a critical point. Address book sync is an ESSENTIAL feature nowadays... cell phones have always been fragile things that are easy to lose and break. The address book and phone book is critical information to a lot of people, so anything the phone can do to make it easier and more straightforward to do is always a big plus.

Entering 500+ names and numbers back into my phone because it crashed, or it broke, or i lost it and got it replaced is ANNOYING. I'd rather just sync it with my PC over BT and be done with it.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I guess this isn't really the way I see it, since with my Treo, I have everything backed up anyway. I even imported all my contact when I upgraded from my old Motorola phone and Sony Clie PDA. I had the file on my PC, so when I synced my Treo, the contacts were all uploaded.

So from my perspective the feature is not as important.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

It's nice to have a smartphone. There is still a premium for that class of device, but it opens up a lot more freedom.

4. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Quality of Verizon aside, Prius users want to use their phone with their car, and that only works well if you can get a phone book into the car. Since there is no manual entry, you really are dependent on the ability to transfer from the phone or some other device.

So, Prius owners are miffed that they have to work around a problem they don't believe should be there to begin with. I understand why they are upset, they just paid a lot of money, and they "just want to use it", not hire a technical expert to figure out how to get around some arbitrarily imposed issue.

I am a technical expert, so I got around the problem no sweat, but I really hate that I have to keep explaining to laypeople how they can get around a problem that should not be there to begin with. People just want to press a button and go. They don't want to play a lot of technical games trying to out-think Verizon.

Anyway, off my soapbox... :rolleyes:

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suspect it has more to do with protecting applications. They don't want you pulling applications off or putting your own applications on the phone.

With my Nokia on Cingular, I can literally bluetooth a .jar/.jad or a .sis file over to the phone and just install the application. I don't have to pay a tax to Cingular to do that. With the V*, you're stuck paying them to get the applications they want you to have (unless you got a Treo or PocketPC phone).

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have 500 I have a few. Labor and Delivery, Urgent Care in my clinic, ER, 7th floor, 11 floor and that is it, but doing that quick and easily is like mission critical at times. I get the call I get in the car and I want to get details while keeping both hands on the wheel. I call L&D and talk to the nurse, give orders, get things going and set up so we can move when I get there. This is reality for many emergency responders in smaller towns and rural areas. Trust me this is way better than it was 20 years ago when I had to wait for a report give orders then leave. Minutes lost too many. The cell phone is a god send. But I am driving at the speed limits and pushing the car. I have had hands free phones for 8 years and they are invaluable. Nuff said.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Oh I know they are valuable. But in a mission critical setting such as yours, I would use a wireless earpiece. THat's what I bought for my wife. Now when she is called in to the hospital she can start giving orders at home, keep talking while driving with both hands on the wheel, and then, if she arrives at the hospital and is on the phone still, can just get out and keep talking. No pairing with the car or any such nonsense. Seamless and even more effective. Just pair the phone and earpiece once in the morning and it stays connected until you're done.

Man I'm glad I got out of medicine and decided on law instead...

8. lee

lee New Member

I just bought an '05 Prius with NAV and have a Verizon V710, and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. It seems to me that the car is just as crippled as the phone, but not as many people are slamming Toyota about that.

First off, the phone and car link perfectly every time I start up. In fact, the phone will link up even if I leave it inside the house with the car in the garage, which was quite a surprise. So, the phone appears to me to work flawlessly with the handsfree profile, except there's no access to voice dialing. That's Toyota's fault, not the phone's, at least as far as I can tell. Also, the phone has WAY better voice recognition than the navigation system does.

The car won't let me dial or use the phonebook (except speed dial, which I can enter manually) when it's moving. So, what's the point of transferring my phone book entries into it if it won't let me use them when I really need them? I can use the phone to access all of these things, even when driving, so the phone is what works well and again, the car doesn't. If I'm stopped, it doesn't really matter to me if I use the phone book in the phone or the one in the car.

Also, I can sync my phone perfectly well with Outlook on my PC using the USB cable. Is that really so much more burdensome than using Bluetooth? I'd rather not leave Bluetooth running on my PC when I'm not using it, as it opens a potential security hole, so either way I'm plugging something in or enabling something.

So, while it would be nice to be able to use OBEX (and you can pretty easily turn it on if you have the E815, though it's still not clear to me if you can push phone book entries once you do), I find that the real issues are the limitations that the car imposes on me, like not being able to dial when moving and not being able to access voice dialing at all.

Is there something that I'm misunderstanding here?

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Good points Lee. Unless it's been fixed for 2006, the Prius system is a half-duplex setup, meaning only one person can speak at a time. VERY inconvenient. If the Prius had a full-duplex setup I may be more upset, as that would be nice enough to make me not use my earpiece. But for now, the earpiece is better.

Also, my wife's V710, when you use the nifty Motorola BT earpiece, allows voice dialing, either by contacts, or by speaking the numbers. It's really very easy. Just push the button and either say "NUmber Dial" or "Name Dial." THen just say the name or number and you're done. And if the contact has several numbers listed, such as home, work and mobile, it will ask you which to dial. Just say "Mobile" for example, and it'll dial it. All this is a function of the earpiece. If I use the earpiece with my phone, it's just a simple BT earpice, as the phone is not compatible with the advanced features.

Now that is full BT functionality. If Toyota included features like that, then I'd be supremely pissed off that Verizon crippld the phone, probably enough to switch. But it's a two component equation, of which the phone is only one. The phone works, albeit only partly. Lee is right, Toyota crippled their half as well.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have an e815 with OBEX enabled, but there is no OPP, so you can't send the phone book. I don't have that many numbers I would need to dial while driving, so the one-touch works for me. The problem is that if I had entered the one-touch numbers from the Prius' phonebook, I would have the names there while driving. Right now they are blank, but as I have only a few I know that #1 is HOME, #2 is PARENTS and so on.

I've added occasional numbers (doctor, dentist, pizza) in the POI area of the NAV system. Touching their icon brings up an info button, which will allow me to dial their number. I have to have the NAV defeat in operation for this to work.

11. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

The advantage is when you add a number to one of the 17 one-touch locations from an uploaded phone book, you get a name associated with it. This means while you are moving you see names on your one-touch, not just '1', '2', '3'...

Also, if you put the numbers in the same format they appear in your phone's log (usually 10 digits for the USA), and a call comes it that matches a phone book entry, then you get the associated name displayed on the MFD when the call comes in.

Like you guys are saying, you sure can use the phone by itself, or with a headset, but when someone springs $5k for the top-end package, they want to be able to use it.

And I still think hands free is easier than fumbling with my phone while I'm driving, especially when I have my uploaded phone book.

Sorry... :)

12. tag

tag Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. However, Toyota is as culpable as Verizon, IMHO. In fact, for issues such as the lack of voice dialing functionality and the speed sensor lockout, Toyota is 100% responsible. Further, although I'm not about to go out and buy a BMW, the BT kits in those cars have no problem dealing with VZW's BT implementation. Even with a V710, after the car is started, pairing and phonebook upload occur automatically.

13. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Yea, don't get me wrong, I think Toyota's lawyers are WAY too involved ruining the end-product all the way around, but uploading the phone book helps you get around those lawyers, and the bean-counters who probably told the engineers they didn't need to spend money developing a manual-entry procedure because everyone should be able to upload phonebooks from their phone.

I thank God I'm a technical type, but once you get a phone book uploaded, the system really is quite useful. Even while moving! :)

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If it's the E815, OBEX will be enabled, but not OPP.

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well I didn't order the top package simply for the BT functionality. You can get that at several of the lower packages. I would have gotten the top package even if BT wasn't included.

17. tag

tag Senior Member

Plus, some of the phones that come out of Japan almost look as if they could be used for the self-parking feature. :lol:

I'm pretty sure they never considered that some phones would only be able to upload one contact at a time when they designed the system nor that some cell phone carrier would decide to have the requisite profile removed for phonebook transfer.