1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here is VW's 5-10 yr vision. What is Toyota's?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mozdzen, Jun 16, 2016.

1. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Don't know about that. SC network in Germany looks pretty solid, but the perception of the car enthusiast we stayed with was that there was not enough of them. They tell me that the starting price for a base Model S is ~ 20K more than the price in the US. BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi/Opel have some hefty political pull.

If all miles traveled with LDV in the US were done electrically at 4 miles per KWh, the US would only use 10% more electricity.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All cars imported to Europe have a hefty tariff on them. I don't doubt that Germany could tax it a little more. I think the incentives on the Model S in Norway are more generous than in California though.

3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I work in the desert, passing through the massive wind turbine farms of Palm Springs and Palm Desert every week. And I also pass by HUGE solar farms of all types in the Colorado Desert and have become very familiar with all forms of solar plants -- and there are many types.

All survive only due to subsidies, even when undertaken on a almost laughable scale. Small scale stuff is even more inefficient. We would need some kind of a break through to make either viable economically.

Study the issue.

#23 William Redoubt, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how would you compare the subsidies to fossil fuel subsidies?

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    30 models doesn't sound realistic in that time-frame. Heck, I would have a hard time just naming 5 VW models now.

At least they didn't make a completely absurd goal like Germany saying they want 100% EV by some date. Shooting for 100% of anything is a sure way to fail the goal. Setting achievable goals is the key to sustaining motivation towards the goal.

Setting a 100% goal is like not having a goal at all.

Not only is that a relatively modest increase in electricity usage, but the grid wouldn't even need to expand power production much to accommodate the increase since most of the charging would be done off-peak, when loads of excess generating capacity is available. Maybe we would only need to build 2% extra generating capacity to accommodate the 10% increase in electricity consumption?

I often wonder why this is the case. On a micro scale, solar roof installations in Hawaii can break even in a fraction of a decade. Of course this is made possible by high utility rates and high solar radiation, but why utilities can't scale the concept up and have a viable solution is beyond me. Heck, even horrible places to install solar, such as in the Oregon valley, the break even point is less than 20 years.

Is it simply that large scale renewable energy has a large upfront cost with a long payback period, or does it never pay off no matter how long it's in service?

I say we remove all subsidies and see where the market goes. If we want to reduce CO2 emissions, then governments should either set the limits, or implement some sort of cap and trade program.

#25 Redpoint5, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  6. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Here is a study of the issue. Coal Country Wyoming which is rich in coal deposits is also rich in "wind". It sounds like they will soon be home to the two biggest wind farms in the US (5 GW each?), sending their electricity to Ca. They say they can generate electricity cheaper than anyone else in the US.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/us/as-wind-power-lifts-wyomings-fortunes-coal-miners-are-left-in-the-dust.html?ref=energy-environment

Let me know if you can read the article without being a NYtimes subscriber.

Here is a clip
    Wyoming’s Republican governor, Matt Mead, is skeptical of human-caused climate change, and has been an outspoken opponent of Mr. Obama’s climate change agenda. Still, he also sees economic opportunity in wind power.

“We’ve been a dig-and-ship state, exporting energy to the rest of the country,” Mr. Mead said in an interview in his office. “With the advances in wind turbines, why shouldn’t we be leading that at the University of Wyoming? Why don’t we do more to bring wind manufacturing to the state?”

Perhaps the biggest winner in Wyoming’s wind boom will be one man: Philip F. Anschutz, a Colorado billionaire and major Republican donor. His company, the Anschutz Corporation, is building the Carbon County wind farm on 2,000 acres owned by Mr. Anschutz and the federal government.

When completed, the site will be the largest wind power producer in North America, generating enough electricity to light a million homes — far more than Wyoming needs.

Mr. Anschutz is also planning to build the TransWest Express, a 730-mile power line that would take Wyoming’s wind energy to Las Vegas and California. Construction on both projects is expected to begin late this year or early 2017.

On a recent day, Bill Miller, senior vice president of energy and land resources for the Anschutz Corporation, drove his truck through the Carbon County site’s rocky mesas, which channel near-constant wind across the green plain. The only visible inhabitants were cows, antelopes, prairie dogs and rattlesnakes.

Although wind power has traditionally been more expensive than fossil fuels, Mr. Miller said the Anschutz wind project will be large enough to make wind as cheap, if not cheaper, than coal power.

“We can produce wind power here that’s competitive with anything: coal, natural gas,” Mr. Miller said.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  7. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't Wyoming find a customer closer than 730 miles away for their power? Seems crazy to ship it so far. Maybe sell some of it to Salt Lake on the way to Vegas. Neat to hear, regardless.

Does the Hoover dam not produce all of the energy Vegas needs?

8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Nobody lives in Wyoming or Nevada (-;
    Population (rounded sort of)
    CA 40.0 M
    WY 0.6 M
    NV 3.0 M

Electricity consumed (TWh) (note: US total electricity consumption is 4000 TWh)
    CA 250
    WY 17
    NV 35

If the two wind farms combine for 10 GW, then 8000 hrs / year and 0.25 % utilization of the windmill --> 20 TWh per year of electrical energy.
    Cant sell all of that energy to WY or NV alone.
    http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/energy/18ener7.pdf

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been to Wyoming twice this year visiting family in the heart of the coal industry there.

I complained about their economy being based almost exclusively upon a such a product and how many wind-turbines we drove by in Minnesota on the way there... without seeing any in Wyoming... despite the seemingly endless winds and lack of employment opportunities.

Wind energy is such a logical solution.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The level of Lake Mead has been dropping, and it won't go back to its high levels in the foreseeable future. So while Las Vegas electric demand is going up, Hoover Dam's output is dropping.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've driven only once in Wyoming and initially thought it was crazy having an 80 MPH speed limit considering the extremely windy conditions (Oregon max is 65). With just a 20 MPH headwind, it's like getting the fuel economy of going 100 MPH while only traveling 80. After a while I realized why the speed limit was so high; the seemingly endless and barren land dulls the senses to the point that you just want to speed through.

The best use of some of that land must be wind energy. I wonder if wind power could ever reduce the damage caused by strong winds by any measurable amount?

Hasn't Vegas gone LED yet? I remember feeling the heat from incandescent bulbs while walking Fremont street when I was in high school, but I would be surprised if they haven't upgraded yet.

12. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you been to LV recently?
    There are tens of millions of LEDs on (almost) every available surface.
    And they make every indoor space 30 degrees colder than the outside temp in the summer

Mike

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest.
    I love VW's.
    Love their iconic, classic products. They've been a great automaker for a long, long time. BUT...

Really who cares what they say their "Vision" is?
    They've lost my trust as a company. They knowingly set out to defraud the entire VW buying public, at the expense of the environment and the ultimate expense of their own reputation.

And IMO that's huge. I can't say, I wouldn't ever again consider a VW product. But I need more proof, more time, before I trust the company again.

Given what they did, I'm somewhat surprised the scandal died down as quickly and quietly as it did.

Yes, every automobile manufacturer outlines company goals. NOT every automaker purposely and knowingly design their auto's to misrepresent their clean air emissions capabilities.

Someday, I may be able to forgive this. Not yet. Not today.

KrPtNk and 3PriusMike like this.
  14. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I made a quick pass through last year, but I don't recall noticing what technology was primarily used outdoors. Wanted to visit Hoover, but didn't have time. Same story with Fremont. Mostly I couldn't take my eyes off my wife.

[​IMG]

m.wynn and 3PriusMike like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, no argument. you are a fortunate man. tell her for me.(y)

m.wynn and Redpoint5 like this.
  16. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I'm going to roll with the topic change here. I own 40 acres of land in Wyoming. Why? A base for vacation exploring. Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. Devil's Tower. Fremont Canyon. Hell's Half Acre. The Oregon Trail. Independence Rock. Bighorn Canyon. The slower you go, the more you see...

Oh, and living near Chicago most of my life, I absolutely love the solitude.

But I agree with the wind energy. It never stops blowing. They have approved this monster wind farm.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic...

Redpoint5 and bisco like this.
  17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yellowstone and the Tetons are what lured me to drive through Wyoming. Hated Yellowstone, but loved the Tetons. I'm sure I'll visit again someday.

This is mostly what I remember the drive resembling. I also remember miles of snow fence, which I had never seen before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

m.wynn and Prius Maximus like this.
  18. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks immensely better to me than this....

[​IMG]

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but how far is starbucks?:cool:

m.wynn likes this.
  20. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming he is near alpha centauri, lieutenant starbuck is about 4.3 light years away, fighting cylons.

bisco and DavidA like this.