1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here we go again

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alfon, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The low flow toilets I installed five years ago (1.6 gal rating, 1.5 according to my water meter) flush much better than the medium flow toilets they replaced (3.5 g rating, 4.4-5 g with cheap aftermarket replacement parts). These new ones have never needed a second flush on even the largest loads.

Old toilets, the first low flow units, and even some modern versions, were not engineered, merely cobbled together to work 'good enough'. But many designs now are backed by some excellent hydraulic engineering, quietly and cleanly swallowing the biggest dumps.

But one cannot just assume that any randomly selected modern model will perform well. Find and read the flush tests, or get recommendations from people with newer units. I am particularly disappointed with some newer institutional units, such as the ones at work (flush-o-meter type regurgitates everything back into the bowl once before it disappears) and at a Canadian lodging facility last week (higher flow gravity flush that spits a surprising amount of contaminated mist up into the air).

While I also changed to a front loading washer and better dishwasher the same year, the toilets had the greatest impact on the household water consumption. If everyone could similarly reduce their water use, my region won't need to find any new water sources for several decades even if AGW significantly reduces the snowpack in the Cedar and Tolt watersheds.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mmm, ham...

Oh: low flush toilets on the cheap: if it's just pee, let it ride a few times ;)

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know.... I've lived in several communities that desalinate, in addition to 2 submarines and numerous targets (surface ships.) If you have energy...you have drinking water.

I've also lived in locales that have the seemingly opposing conditions of very high fuel prices and grid-lock traffic.

OK...so some places in the Middle East are in the process of changing their governments.
    Big Deal.
    In my never-to-be-humbled opinion, this will result in two things:
    1. A temporary change in the flow rate and distribution of oil.
    2. Some new faces on the paper money of the affected countries.

You can't eat oil, and whoever takes over an oil rich country (most of which tend to be agriculturally poor) will have the same amount of oil in the ground as they did before their revolutionary foray...and the 'new' government will either have to sell it or leave it in the ground (and find a new way to generate revenue.)
    My bet: They sell it.

4. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting. I had not heard of these so checked on Amazon and very well rated. I went to store to buy one for $30 and it had it, but for $25 the hydroright. Rated on amazon not quite as well but still well and quicker to install. I just got it setup today. I ran a very rough and quick return on investment on it but since it's only on our main toilet that gets most of the use I'm thinking anywhere between 6 months-2 years to pay for itself. I honestly don't know what we pay for water by the gallon.

http://www.amazon.com/MJSI-HYR270-HydroRight-Drop-Converter/dp/B002NKRR7Y

Hydroright seems good so far but it's very tall, even on my toilet bowl the lid is very very slightly resting on the top of this. Also the toilet seat, though it still goes all the way back, does contact the lever. I imagine there's a good chance it would on the one2flush as well, though.