1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's the deal on 2007 Touring Edition wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Silverlode, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mrichman

mrichman New Member

Just grab a 2007 Prius brochure. It shows the Touring Edition without the plastic hubcaps but with the center cap in place. I'm fairly certain the 2004-2006 center caps will fit that spot.

Mike
    ====
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Oct 3 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]327535[/snapback]</div>

2. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

I like the look of the wheels without the plastic cover, but it must have a center cap. I just ordered my Touring yesterday and I had now idea about the plastic covers. The 2007 showroom brouchure is what sold me.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 2 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]326879[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps it's not so much about function as it is economy; I'd suspect that those slightly unfinished looking wheels with plastic covers would be less expensive to produce than if a one-piece wheel were painted and clearcoated in the usual manner.

4. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 5 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]328722[/snapback]</div>
    That may be, but the gray wheels are actually made of nice looking material close up. They are clear coated alloy, just not silver.

5. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 2 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]326879[/snapback]</div>
    Too busy and too full of pizza and beer to work it out now, but I believe that even in the ideal case of all the mass located at the circumference, its only twice as bad as linear acceleration of the mass. Given the relative weight of the body and the wheels, I don't think this is significant. It is a minor consideration/fetish among bicycle racers due to the relatively heavier wheels and larger circumferences. But even there, modern sprinters use solid, heavier wheels because the aerodynamic advantage outweighs the rotating mass disadvantage.

6. trevd01

trevd01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 2 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]327088[/snapback]</div>
    Hi I'm new to the forum, just got my '06 T Spirit here in the UK (which has the 16in wheels like the US Touring edition).

Been looking for a while for a nearly new one at a sensible price

but back to the wheels... The guy at the Toyota dealer (who was the first really informed salesman I had met in six dealerships I have visited) said "do you know why the wheels have plastic covers? It is because they are magnesium alloy, and are easily scratched".

That would make sense, no doubt making them lighter than aluminium.

T

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd also imagine it's lighter to have the mag alloy / plastic combination than if they were to make that design we see entirely out of magnesium alloy.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 2 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]326865[/snapback]</div>

Do you think if we all threw our cheezy plastic rings (like frizbies) back onto the Toyota dealership, that they'd finally get the point? :^O

9. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silverlode @ Oct 1 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]326594[/snapback]</div>
    WHO WANTS PLASTIC HUB CAPS , That's what they look like to me !
    The brochure doesn't say 16in alloy wheels with PLASTIC COVERS ? What a joke !
    Now I'm debating if it worth getting a Touring or I change order to a standard
    Prius ? especially since in the Northeast it is difficult to get a Touring w/ Nav that option only
    available with the standard model

10. lee

lee New Member

One nice benefit of the plastic covers is that they save the wheels from curb rash, at the expense of something failrly cheap and easy to replace.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The standard rim still has plastic covers you know.

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 8 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]329824[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but those can be ripped off to expose a relatively nice looking rim. Point being, you're paying more for the 16" and if they look like crap, forget about it.....

Couldn't be happier with my 15's.....

13. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 9 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]330407[/snapback]</div>
    They don't look like crap in my opinion. I was disappointed when I discovered they were plastic covers, but I still like the look of the touring 7-spoke 16" wheel to the standard 6-spoke 15". No regrets. Also, it should be noted that the highest touring package is about $380 more than the highest standard package. Not all that much more for the nice wheels, larger spoiler (which IMO does A LOT to make the car look more sporty), and "tuned" suspension.

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silverlode @ Oct 10 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]330427[/snapback]</div>
    No offense, I think they look ok with the plastic covers, but like hell without....

What is the difference in price between the base models of the two? So they can amortize the price of the touring with all sorts of features..... Not my bag.

15. GreenBeanMachine

GreenBeanMachine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trevd01 @ Oct 8 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]329523[/snapback]</div>
    THe Prius in my country also comes fitted with the touring wheel as standard. According to Toyota Japan website, it's aluminium alloy not magnesium. U sure that salesman got it rite?

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenBeanMachine @ Oct 13 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]332331[/snapback]</div>
    I remember my lab partner in high school taking a magnesium strip and lighting it on fire in the sink...it *really* burned!

I know the B-29 bomber from WWII had magnesium engine casings which were notoriously difficult to extinguish once alight...wouldn't magnesium wheels be somewhat of a safety hazard if you got a flat tire and the rim rubbed on the road...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 9 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]330443[/snapback]</div>
    Personal taste aside, I'm wondering if those full plastic covers might make it easier to keep the wheels looking nice...? I mean, if you scraped a curb or whatever, you could just replace the cover instead of having the damaged wheel repaired and repainted.

On the other hand, anything that isn't a part of the wheel might begin to come loose over time, as the retaining clips age.

The cool thing is, we have our choice.

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Large chunks of magnesium are very difficult to light (pun intended). Once burning however, it is very difficult to extinguish. If you mix it with aluminum and light it the aluminum will start burning as well. Now THAT'S entertainment! Only thing we found that would put it out was sand. It would burn underwater! A chunk of magnesium got mixed in with aluminum we were melting to cast machine parts. I leave it to your imagination to visualize the workers and fire dept. running around trying to extinguish it!

So I'm going to throw a wrench into this discussion and state that I like the look of the 16" wheels without the covers. So there! ;)

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing that strikes me as a little odd is how you can see the metal wheel peeking from behind the plastic cover (mostly near the center, where the spokes come together and are not completely hidden).

I do think that maybe Toyota should mention that there are plastic covers, though. Something like: "seven-spoke argent-trimmed aerodynamic slipcovers provide a unique styling statement, smooth airflow at highway speeds, and offer increased curb-damage protection for the unique alloy wheels fitted to the Touring Edition" ...or like that.

The 'hub cap' on that Euro Prius looks to me like a wheel bearing cap, all decked out with the Toyota logo and everything.

19. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 10 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]330443[/snapback]</div>

What he said.... :)

20. beergut

beergut New Member

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, here's some pics of the "Pistachio" aka "Silver Pine Mica" touring prius w/o the plastic covers.

My sales guy tells me there's some sort of new cover on the horizon; maybe he's just talking about the tiny axle cover mentioned above. If so, I'm stoked... I like the naked wheels -- if only there was a center piece.[attachmentid=5449][attachmentid=5450][attachmentid=5451][attachmentid=5452][attachmentid=5453]

Attached Files: