1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's the deal on 2007 Touring Edition wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Silverlode, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With SPM, it looks like the car took a walk in the mud and got its paws all muddy hehehe.

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just got my magnetic grey touring yesterday. Without the plastic covers the new wheels are a close match to the car color. When I find centercaps for them I'll be ditching the hubcaps.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 31 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]341240[/snapback]</div>
    If you only wanted to cover up the center opening where the axle bolt is visible, it looks from the pic that the little snap out center covers on the base wheels might fit.

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Stopped by the local Toyota dealer at lunch and tried the center cap he had in stock, I think it was from an 05 Prius. It snapped right in and looked factory. The bad news, he only had one and wanted $15 each. So, $60 for four center caps. Seems a bit pricy, but if I can find for less I'll pick up a set.

5. Pious

Pious New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 31 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]341607[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll look into this at my dealer as well.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 31 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]341607[/snapback]</div>
    The little plastic center snap in dealios are $15 bucks a pop? I should have my artsy-craftsy sister in law cast something in resin with some sort of fancy logo and sell them for 29.99 for a set of 4... Career opportunity! Wondering how those TE's are selling and how many owners would remove the plastic covers?

7. Pious

Pious New Member

8. Cox

Cox New Member

Thanks for the link - I've ordered four - I think it will look OK with those fitted

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy Cox and Pious...

THANKS for the link!

Found it... Search in "Collision Parts" - "Wheels - Covers and Trim - Center Cap" @ $10.04 each. Actually a part for the '04-'06 standard 6-spoke Prius alloy wheel.

Would appreciate a picture when you receive and install them.

10. lordmakemeworthy

lordmakemeworthy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Oct 3 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]327535[/snapback]</div>

:) really like the black on your prius, kinda of reminds me of an old motorcycle i had a black r69s bmw - so smooth. Most likely, just like your new Prius. Enjoy your car. I do mine - a 2006 loaded.

11. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

narf, I think you're dead-right on that. This has been discussed a lot - that the plastic would be a light way to shape the aerodynamics while saving on extra metal weight is a very fitting reason.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 2 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]326987[/snapback]</div>
    True, but how much do they aid the aerodynamics of the wheel as well? Removing them may reduce weight very slightly (plastic like that is awfully light), but may at the same time ruin the aerodynamics of wind passing by that part of the vehicle at high speeds. If you drive hilly terrain at low speeds, maybe you'll gain, but otherwise it will probably hurt your MPG.

12. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, I'm sorry to say but the new touring rims to be look worse the the originals. I was really hoping they would put something like the scion rims on there.

To me it looks better with the rim on (at least when pictures), but driving around with a larger plastic rim is not my idea of cool.