1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Here's the wheels I decided on...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vinnysca, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Sep 20 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]322147[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds like a pretty big mileage hit. From 50 MPG to 40-45 MPG is a loss of as much as 20%.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Sep 20 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]322388[/snapback]</div>
    Eh, not really, as I also noticed that I get worse mileage in warmer temps. Seems my Prius loves temps in the 70's.

Besides, it's not all about the MPG. It's also about how happy you are, as you save the planet. Remember, when I stop, I am still not polluting.

3. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with cairo94507 in that if it didn't pull to one side with the OEM wheels/tires and it does now I would check air pressure and if thats correct then rotate the front to the back to see if one of the new tires is bad. The Toyota dealer may charge you if they spend time on it and find it is due to the aftermarket wheels/tires. Have you had it up to Interstate speeds with no balance problems yet? It seems like whenever I replace tires I always have balance or pulling problems with the new set and have to go back to get it right. Michelin is the only brand I've never had a problem with.

4. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Sep 21 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]322683[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try your recommendation. So far, at freeway speeds, I have no problem with shaking or such. It's just that the car does not go straight when you let go of the steering wheel. It veers to the right very slightly.

I'll rotate the tires right now and let you know. Wheeew....time for a workout now. :lol:

Vince.

5. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Sep 21 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]322683[/snapback]</div>

Well, I tried your recommendation of swapping my rear wheels to the front....AND....it's NOT the alignment! You were right! It was the bias of the new tires! My car now drives straight as an arrow! Now all I need is an oil change tomorrow and I'll have the dealer cancel the alignment inspection. You save me mucho mula! :D

Vince.

6. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad to hear that helped. Now you need to have the back tires checked for run-out. Sometimes, not often, it will show on the balance machine if you watch the tread as it spins. Also helps if they have the newer Hunter balancer and know how to use it.

On a side note, I was doing this post earlier while on IE and IE suddenly disappeared from the screen and now it just come up and goes right back down before I can stop it. So I am using Firefox now. Problem is my bookmarks on Firefox aren't up to date. Always something to do.

Edit: I turned off "third party extensions" and got IE back up. Now I don't know if there's a MS problem (because of updates) or a third party problem, which shouldn't be because I haven't added anything.

7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Ok, I've driven my car with its new set of wheels on mostly highway....finish one full tank of gas.

Computer says that I was averaging 46 mpg! (356miles). That's pretty darn good. I expected less actually. By the way...car was very stable at 80mph! Now, I happen to notice I was going this fast as I was passing 3 semi trucks last night (in the rain! :huh: ). I'm amazed on how stable the car is. I do not know if the tires made a difference though. I've never gone up this fast with the stock wheels.

Vince.