1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hesitating between a Prius v and a VW TDI Wagon

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Campoozmstnz, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would disregard that comment. That one was a sarcastic remark in general about the TDI.

Again, it is up to you what you want. Most people will lean towards the Prius for MPG and it being a slight greener car. With the Prius Plugin and perhaps soon, more cleaner options such as Fuel Cell and pure Electric cars, there will always be a pro/con going forward.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure where you are in Canada but if the heater output in the winter is important to you, Prius v with the exhaust heat recovery will be a plus. TDI heater will take a long time.

3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear the wagons have an auxiliary electric heater.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. I did a quick check. It has 1 kW electric heater. A typical hair dryer is 1.5 kW. Some TDI owners can't tell if they have the aux electric heater or not.

5. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it's not the only heater, it definitely helps, much like the exhaust heat recovery system in the Prius. I would definitely notice an extra kw of heat. It seems that it's not always in the American vehicles but the Canadian ones seem to have it.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Both my '06 and '09 TDI Jettas had the auxiliary heater.

7. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved driving my '07 VW GTI.

I hated owning it. Expensive parts, it was in the shop every 3~4 months, weird phantom issues that I couldn't track down or repeat. I eventually lost my patience with the car not even 4 years after I bought it new and sold it. I replaced it with a '10 4Runner, first year of the 5th gen, that has been flawless. I plan on adding another 'yota to my fleet this spring/summer.

As far as features, the reclining and sliding rear seats are the dealmaker for the Prius v, IMO. It is more of a small minivan than a sedan with a really big boot. As far as practicality goes, it is a winner. My wife sits in traffic every weekday morning to where her 34mpg rated MINI only returns 29mpg. The v gets good gas mileage in the city and highway. The TDI is still burning fuel as it idles in traffic and still cannot recover energy when you press the brakes. Then there is the fact that diesel is $0.50/gal more expensive here. Just too many wins in the Prius column for me to risk buying another VW.

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had quite a few people from the TDI site asking me why I got rid of the VW and what did I replace it with.

9. Campoozmstnz

Campoozmstnz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a done deal! We ordered a Magnetic Grey Prius v (base model). :rockon:

Delivery date is set to mid-march. Can't wait.

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Enjoy your new Prius v. I know I have had my car for about 2.5 weeks now and will probably have to fuel it up in a day or two (Lost some of my MPG cause I had a tinter doing my windows and we had to leave the car on to operate the windows and it recharged the battery a few times while idle.)

While it may not seem 'zippy' as one Lexus owner mentioned (On the Newbie forums), I think it is still a pretty decent car and practical. :)

11. redpepper

redpepper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your purchase, only 3 weeks away now!

We just finished the negotiating process on our trade in, and will be taking delivery of a blizzard white pearl Prius V in mid March as well. This will be our first Prius, can't wait to change our driving habits and be more MPG mindfull, especially with how the gas prices here in Nova Scotia are these days.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations!! And...Welcome!!

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations!! And...Welcome!!

14. kumatae

kumatae Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I almost bought a Jetta TDI several years back and I'm so glad that I didn't and rather purchased a Honda Accord. I think diesel prices have been lower just for couple of months (CO, WA) and it's been regularly much higher. I think the only way TDI would be worth the reliability risk is if you are able to brew your own diesel with used vegetable oil thus making your fuel price almost non-existent. If not, I'd stick with the Prius.

15. dbuker

dbuker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a Gen. II prius and a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Both have their virtues. The Prius is great in flat country, e.g., Florida, but terrible in the mountains. The Jetta has more torque and can pull a trailer long distance (provided the trailer is 1500 lbs or less). Diesel fuel costs more and, yes, pollutes more. No main battery to replace in the Jetta but the Prius has been very dependable. We may soon trade in the Prius (a 2004 model) and, since we travel to the mountains regularly, will probably replace it with another Jetta TDI.