1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hesitating between new Gen4 and used Gen3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Nicolouchka, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Nicolouchka

Nicolouchka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

After lurking for quite a while, I decided to create an account to have your opinion. I'm torn between buying a new Gen4 and a 2012 Gen3. There's only two of us for now with maybe one or two kids coming and this will be mostly used for highway travel. As we're outdoor enthusiasts, we want to be able to carry some gear.

In particular, one attracted my eye: a 2012 Prius for 14900 CAD and 42k miles. What do you think of the price? Are there particular details to which I should pay attention?

Thank you.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is from the back page of the 2010 brochure, might help you determine what level it is. There was a minor refresh in 2012, so there'll be some variation.

IMG_7340.JPG
    IMG_7341.JPG
    (Ignore the numbers; I think something's messed up. FWIW, we got Touring, for around $30K.)

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Nicolouchka and bisco like this.
  3. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply. It turns out I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how much the trim differ. However, from what it looks like, it would be the base model (no sunroof, cloth seats, small rims).

I just checked and 14900 CAD is 11600 USD which seems OK for 42k miles. I'm also a terrible negotiator so I'd feel much better if I had a better idea of a "fair" price.

Also, this is a reasonably big Toyota dealership in Montreal which seems to have good reviews (4.5 from 229 Google reviews, too few on dealerrater).

Also, I'm not trading any vehicle nor will I be financing so the discussion will be straightforward.

Thanks for your help.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    These are really pretty different vehicles. The 3rd Gen Prius has MUCH more USABLE cargo space than the 4th Gen. Toyota made the Gen 4 more aerodynamic at the cost of cargo space but increase in MPG. There are some threads on the fact that the cubic cargo space numbers between the two generations do not tell the real story in actual usable space. You may want to check the two out side-by-side.

Kids are messy and expensive. You have a lot of dirty outdoor stuff. New cars take a huge depreciation hit as soon as they leave the dealership. Since you asked for opinions, mine would be to get the bigger used Gen 3.

Nicolouchka and The Electric Me like this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever someone appears in Prius Chat and say's I'm thinking "New" or "Used" my answer defaults to budget.

If you can afford it? I think new always trumps taking the risk with used. BUT....

A newer used car? You can mitigate the risks, and you don't take the new car depreciation hit, so you can save a lot of money.

To the OP specifically? My advice would be whatever you choose, new or used, try to buy the "tool"-vehicle that is going to most meet your expected needs.
    2 of you now....with kids on the horizon, and you like to take long road trips, outdoor enthusiasts carrying gear? That sounds like a situation in evolution.

I would really try to evaluate if a Prius not only meets your needs today, but would meet your projected needs tomorrow. Specifically size. If you are expecting a growing family? You might consider looking at Prius v. Slightly less MPG, but more space.

I found the standard Prius-Gen 3, to be kind of amazing as far as what I could fit in it and haul. So it may be perfectly fine. But that is the issue I'd want to be comfortable with given what I'm hearing about your future. Don't want to invest today, and 3 years from now discovering The Prius is just too small.

mjoo and Nicolouchka like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I am too: that's the Canadian Brochure.

Nicolouchka likes this.
  7. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for the quick and thorough replies, as well as for the welcoming tone in your messages.
    That is indeed what we are moving toward.

That's the dilemma. We can afford both, I do however want to make sure that I get my money worth. We bought our previous car for 1500$ and it served us well for 7 years.
    For the newer gen to be worth an extra 15k CAN, it would need to reduce the probability of hassle by a large amount. Since Priuses seem to be known for their reliability, I think it's worth taking the risk of the old one.

I've looked for that too but the price decreases slowly. I'm not at the point where 2-3k make a difference, my question about the asking price was to make sure I don't feel cheated rather than for financial reasons.

I agree and that's why the Gen3 is more appealing by the hour. Not only is it more usable, we'll be less annoyed in a few years if we have to change again for whatever reason.
    I had missed that, thanks.

Again, thank you for all your replies. After discussion with my partner and test-driving the Gen3 this morning, we found that there's plenty enough to like about it to not bother trying the Gen4. Now it's mostly a matter of making sure it's not a lemon and that the price paid is fair.

Edit: corrected spelling mistakes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the 2012 is a great model year, and that sounds like an excellent price. i would go for it.
    all the best!(y)

Nicolouchka likes this.
  9. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I still cannot post the link but I can send it to anyone who wants to have a look through PM.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a few more posts, and you will be able to.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats!! Do circle back with pictures and how you like it.

12. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize with your answer that my post was mistyped. What I meant is that we are almost set for the Gen3 and I now need to make sure I actually strike a good deal. The car has not been bought yet. However, when it is, I'll be sure to inform you, if only to thank you for your help.

13. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    KBB says its worth $14,700 CAD, so it is a fair deal, but not a steal. If you really want it and the dealer won't budge on price, try to get stuff thrown in, like extra keys, floor mats, schedule service, etc.. The keys for this car are insanely expensive (hundreds of dollars) so maybe the dealer would throw a couple in.

Nicolouchka likes this.
  15. Nicolouchka

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome, thanks for the reply. I was actually worried it was _too_ good to be true and there were some underlying issues. I'll follow your advice.

16. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 3 also has an inch (3cm) higher ground clearance which helps for those dirt roads. I've very gently scrapped my gen 2 several times (no damage), but wouldn't want to be lower.

Note that it's easy to setup a sleeping space for 1-2 people in the back of gen 2's and 3's, probably harder in a gen 4. I sleep in the back on my gen 2 on a 4" twin mattress several weekends a year on rock climbing trips. Also works great for sharing with a girlfriend/wife ;) Plus you can take the ~$10k+ saved and go buy more outdoor gear!

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the 2012 Canadian brochure.

The base MSRP in 2012 were (in CAD):

Base: $25,995
    Moonroof Upgrade Package: $3,250
    Touring Package: $3,555
    Technology Package: $8,085

The Gen 3 can carry a lot of things (and there are two bins under the floor to carry smaller items). The tonneau cover also stores under the floor if you need unfettered access to the cargo area. It can fit 21" mountain bikes with the seats folded (saving you on costs for additional racks).

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No contest. Go for the Gen 4. It's a far superior car, better mileage and more comfortable. Plus, you reduce risk with a new car warranty and knowledge of its entire life.

19. Vincent Detour

Vincent Detour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We're considering trading up to fourth generation, because we want to be able to pull a small trailer. Given your penchant for gear, you may want to think about that.

20. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either Generation is equally up to the task of pulling a smaller trailer (Harbor Freight style, lightweight 4 x 8 is a great choice). There are plenty of threads on this issue within PriusChat. Plus, both models have plenty of room inside, the Gen 3 just a bit more than the Gen 4 per my reading of the specs. Toyota does not recommend towing or bumper mounted rack mounts, btw.