1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hesitation or jerk when accelerating gently

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by larrycruzen, Mar 24, 2012.

1. larrycruzen

larrycruzen New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2011 Prius 4 has developed a noticeable hesitation or jerk when the power indicator crosses the center line during a slight acceleration. Apparently that is when the gas engine cuts in. I didn't notice this until about 3,000 miles. Has something gotten out of adjustment? I haven't had it back to the dealer yet.

Larry Cruzen

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it a jerk or a lurch or just a 'transition' such as when a traditional automatic transmission changes gear?

If it's a big lurch then there's something wrong. If it's just a transition, then it's normal. Maybe in the past you weren't aware of it as much.

Oh, one question. Are you running the car in 'Eco' mode where the green Eco light is lit all the time? If so, then yes the car may be slightly more hesitant. Try running the car in normal mode (the green Eco and/or Power lights are not lit) and see if that helps.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My engine starts (as you pointed out occur generally above the ECO line) have been getting more noticeable recently. When the temperature is cooler, even more noticeable. I just got back from the dealer as they have the car overnight. They are applying two T-SBs that will likely improve this situation for me.

In general, a person is going to notice that more and more as time goes on the parts wear. It it gets "bad", take it in and have service look at it. Keep in mind things are often amplified in the Prius because it is so smooth and quite.

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah but he's only got 3,000 miles on her. I'm upto 65k of hard miles and the transition switching the engine on is as smooth as it's always been.

I do remember when 5w30 oil was used by mistake so time ago that the transition to the engine coming on was a little rougher. Is 5w30 oil being used instead of the prescribed 0w20?

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The only time I've experienced a very slightly noticable change when the engine cuts in is when I used cheaper supermarket fuel.

Blurredforlife likes this.
  6. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like my 2010 Gen. III (25000 mi.)....Almost on a "Regular Basis" when the I.C.E. comes in (light acceleration) , it comes in with a mis/fire; first a couple of cylinders then 3&4.....I don't like it, but........My 2005 Gen.II never did this.....Yes, I've had the I.M. change.....

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So the question is "Did it do this before the IM was changed?"

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, with that happening you should a shoe-in for the T-SB (engine mount) for sure. Did you have that one done?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Either you guys definitely have a problem or you are much more sensitive to the ICE lighting off than I am. I have 43k miles on my car and still have to depend on my SGII to tell me for sure when the ICE is on or off. My transition is still so smooth that I can barely tell it.

10. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes.....I was hoping the I.M. change would "Cure" this because as I understand it, the I.M. upgrade was to "Cure" this same problem on a cold start/up (mis/fire & related hammering)....By/The/Way, I never had the "Cold start/up" issue, maybe because I never "Set the stage" for it......

11. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well....the up/grade motor/mount (as I understand it) is to fix a "Droning" noise sometimes on a cold start/up.....Which I don't have......No I've not had it done.....

12. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It probably bears repeating, this only happens on "Light acceleration", & the entire process lasts approx. maybe 2-3 secs. .....

13. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems I feel the same, when cornering at a roudabout exit, and ICE has come in earlier, so it is not related to ICE start at all.

14. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The cheapest fuel available is all that my Prius has ever received and she has never complained. Other than price, I don't think there is any significant difference between cheap and expensive gasoline in equivalent octane classes.

15. Tonya 05 Owner

Tonya 05 Owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I own a 2013 Prius and today the stuttering when I give light acceleration was a lot worse. I've noticed when leaving my driveway I'd feel like a small hiccup as I was just pulling out but now it's a series of hiccups as I gain speed. I recieved yet another NEW Recall notice yesterday stating the computer system is being looked into. I'm hoping like hell that's the case for mine since I've already went thru one recall and gotten the fix since I bought this car going on almost 2 years ago. Nothing is lighting up on the dash as an engine fail or anything yet.

16. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Miles on your '13 may help zero in on your issue, but the best guess (imo) is that you have carbon blockage in your EGR circuit. This 4-part pathway (intake manifold, EGR pipe, EGR valve and EGR cooler) will need to be taken apart and cleaned with a fair degree of competence. The worst of the blockage will be found within the intake manifold or the EGR cooler, or both. You've actually posted to a thread where this was more than likely the issue, but it goes back to before the problem was widespread or understood. Over the last 3 years or so, there have been countless other threads regarding cold start knock, head gasket failure and P0401 (stuck EGR valve). Through service bulletins, Toyota has thrown an updated intake manifold (which I believe your '13 was built with) for cars suffering cold start knock, and an EGR valve for cars with P0401 check engine light code. But none of this addresses the the EGR cooler (often the worst blockage in the circuit, especially in an oil burner) or prevents recurring symptoms. Toyota has long since moved on from any acknowledgment of the root problem, so it's up to owners to tend to it themselves.

Your new inverter software flash recall will unfortunately not be of any help with your "stutter" and it's highly likely you'll never see any resolution to the problem through a Toyota dealer. A good independent mechanic, who is willing to understand what needs to be done or a fellow Prius enthusiast/DIY person or anyone with DIY/mechanical inclination are your best bet. There are tons of instruction and support from this forum if you choose to move forward in this direction. If you cut/paste your post, give it a title and post it to the "Gen 3 Maintenance & Troubleshooting" forum, you'll likely generate many more responses.

#16 m.wynn, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018