1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey, do you know how to track an ordered Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmcclun, May 3, 2006.

1. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    WOO HOO!!!! :D As I am reading this post my dealer called me and to confirm that my prius will be in Houston on the 26 and then should be here in dallas on the 30th or 31st. I now have date not just oh 3 - 4 weeks to go on!!!! Very ecstatic! Cannot wait!!

2. jmcclun

jmcclun New Member

HEY THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I called the salesmanager at my dealership and asked about his allocation for the next three months, what packages and his waiting list. He was very good at telling me he gets 6 or 7 a month and has about 21 on the list of different packages. Then he asked why, I told him I was going to call and ask other delaers if they had a Silver #6 package coming in that wasn't spoken for. He said why not let him make the calls? I said sure go ahead. He called me back in an hour and said I will have my Prius by the end of the month. Cool! :D

Now let's see, what mods do I want to make? The EV? Brace? Ipod holder and interface? WOW! I just want to drive it for now I quess and later do some mods. BUT thanks for everyone's help. This is the best chat room on the face of the internet - bar none!

3. jplotinus

jplotinus New Member

sorry for the delay in replying to your query, but it seems other posters have certainly provided full and complete answers!

onward

4. Missu

Missu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jplotinus @ May 5 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]250379[/snapback]</div>

Hello,
    Also sorry for the delayed response, but just noticed your post.

I was on a waiting list for about a month with a dealer in davis, ca (honered a costco discount of $700)
    The way they ran, is they had a set number of cars comming in every month, and just went down the list name by name, and asked the next person if they wanted what was comming in, if not, they moved to the next person on the list.

It ended up that by chance a called a closer dealer (in san rafael, ca) and asked them if they could match the costco discount (said they couldnt) A few days later they called me up and said they had a sale fall thru, and if i came down that nite, i could have the car for a $500 discount (i did) A bit less discount, but 2 hours less drive round trip for my wife and I.

BTW, i am very sastified with the dealer there.

On a side note, we are going down right to probably buy a highlander Hybrid for my wife (replaces a passat wagon) gets 50% better milage with less emissions.
    The deal is too good to pass up ($5,000 off sticker on a 2x4 limited model)
    The dealer is in san bruno, and has 3 simular deals on instock models on sale this weekend.

Cheers

5. djkarrels

djkarrels beermandave

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No idea, our's was ordered for pick up in mid-May. Got a call 7 days later that the same exact car that we ordered had come in and the people that placed the order no couldn't take delivery.

Work with your sales rep is about the best I can tell you.

BMD

6. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

no I dont.

7. smurf041

smurf041 New Member

If you go to the dealer's website and look under new inventory and click on prius the list of arriving vehicles will be displayed including the price and color. Based on that information, you should be able to find your vehicle.

Smurf

8. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm don't know what made me so special that I could help people track cars :)

What I did do though is go to toyota.com and look for local dealers within a large radius, many had a list of in-stock new cars, so I was able to find places that potentially had a prius, give a call or ride down and see if they are really for sale or if those are already sold to someone on a list.

I really lucked out on mine (sort of) because I went to a place they had one, it was sold, got on a list (didn't even need to pay the $500 fee!), a week later got a call. No biggy because a week after that the original place that I got on the list called, but it was a silver one, I prefer my red :)

9. mandymou

mandymou New Member

10. monkeypox

monkeypox New Member

I just call the dealer..... It would be nice to be able to track via the web thoe <_<
    Monks

11. RU EXP 2

RU EXP 2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry I really don't know

12. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RU EXP 2 @ May 9 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]252503[/snapback]</div>
    The *you* tag is killing me!!!!

13. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There seem to be some conflicting statements on whether you can order a Prius or not. I am not sure other than checking with the dealer. they usually get their allocation listing about a week to ten days proir to delivery. I ordered or at least told the dealer the color and options of the car I wanted. It took 6 weeks and the dealer called me about four weeks prior to delivery to tell me when the car was going to be shipped. About two weeks before delivery they called to tell me it was on their allocation list for that month.

Then a week prior they called me and the car arrived within three days of their original estimate.

SO WAS it ordered or did I just get lucky. I am not sure.....All I know is that i git exactly what I wanted And I was kept advised of the progress along the way.

14. BobZ

BobZ New Member

You most certainly can order a Prius Charles. I did and in New York there is no waiting lists. You're a little rough around the edges there fella!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 3 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]249283[/snapback]</div>

15. Sapphra

Sapphra New Member

I don't have any info on ordering a Prius.

I justed called the dealers in my area on Thursday, and on Friday the car of my choice came in. I went and picker her up on Saturday. I either lucked out or they must know that I don't like to wait.

16. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know how to do that.... like I said, I had been looking for several weeks, and one of the local dealers called me to tell me about one that someone had ordered but didn't take delivery when it arrived. Some story about their financing. Anyway, I gave him my CC# to hold it and 3 hours later went to pick it up.

Put on the Goodyear ComforTreads this week, and installed the mud guards last night!

17. peteski

peteski Junior Member

So I just called my dealer (after using the www.toyofuji.co.jp website someone else posted here.) The website didn't help much, except to make me sound like I know what I'm talking about, i.e., "which ship is it on?", etc. Dealer tells me it's the first one on the list for delivery in the east with an "A status". Says the A changes to an "F" status when it gets to the US. But....he couldn't tell if the car was already in NYC or if it's going thru NY on its way to Philly, based on the paperwork he has in hand. The VIN will be available when it gets to the US, he thinks, so I'm assuming it ain't here yet!

18. bbielek

bbielek New Member

When I picked up the car on Sunday I discussed this issue with the salesman at some length. The Dealer - Maroone Toyota (who did everything right in my estimation) - orders a group of Prii, as do the other large Dealers in the area. Each tries to get a selection of packages in one or two colors. As they take orders, they "trade" the cars as needed. He explained that if they did not do this cooperatively their customers would suffer much longer waiting times and would not be able to obtain the color/package combinations they requested.

I assumed this might be the case as I had checked on their incoming inventory as described elsewhere on PC, and they had nothing but black and white units inbound with virtually every package combination. Since I had ordered a Driftwood Pearl, I assumed this must be a trade with another dealer given that the salesman had given me the VIN which didn't match with any of their inbound cars.

The reality is that if the salesman knows the VIN, they can track the exact location of any car - from the time it is on the production line until it arrives at the dealership. I knew the day the ship landed in Jacksonville, and the salesman called when it was at the dealership and undergoing its pre-delivery check and washing.

The bottom line - just ask your salesman. If the Dealer has identified your vehicle, and has a VIN, they can track it. If they say they can't, that means they have not identified a discreet vehicle for you and that is why you are getting the run around. Maroone identified my vehicle by VIN 4 days after I gave them my deposit, and I had it 22 days after giving them the deposit - for the exact amount quoted when I gave them the deposit.

19. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I ordered my car over the phone with a local dealer. They said they'd need a $500 deposit to order the car for me. I gave them my credit card info and they never even put the deposit on there. To track the status, I just kept calling them. They kept giving me approximate dates as they cannot guarantee an absolute delivery date. If you have an experience like me, you'll probably feel that you're in a black hole with the dates constantly getting pushed back. The time to get excited is when they can provide you with a VIN number. This will indicate that it's on its way on the delivery truck. At this point, they'll be able to give you a fairly reliable delivery date.

I don't know if I'd order, or if you can order the car off of the internet. I would assume it's better to order the car through a local dealer. That way, you initiate a relationship with the dealer and if you get the car serviced, maybe they'd take better care of you. This is my perception but maybe people have had a positive experience with the internet avenue.

Good luck......

20. prdunson

prdunson New Member

i dont know sorry