1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey, do you know how to track an ordered Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jmcclun, May 3, 2006.

1. wcatabay

wcatabay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    In my experience, when the car hits the port of entry, the dealers get there allocations on car's with VIN #'s. Usually about 4 to 6 weeks prior to delivery to there site (dealer). At that point, the dealer (sales person) in my case the Fleet Manager, gives me the VIN# of the car I'm supposed to get with all the options I ordered. At that point in time, no one can take it away from you, hence you can start the registration earlier and get your HOV stickers. That's what we did.........

2. rbitner

rbitner New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    I read something about being able to find out when the shipments are coming from Japan on the Toyota website, but that wouldn't be for any one car in particular...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wcatabay @ May 24 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]260604[/snapback]</div>
    Really? My dealer seems to have no interest in giving me any information whatsoever...

3. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    All I know is that you have to be patient and that eventually your Prius will get there. Every two weeks the Toyota dealership is given their allocation of Priuses that are about 6-8 weeks out. Most people "preference" the Prius they want i.e. "Silver pack 4" and when when the dealership gets the allocation every two weeks the individual salespeople will call the people on the waiting list whose Priuses are on the way. The two nearest Toyota dealerships in my area are at least 2 allocations full as far as waiting lists. If a Prius becomes available (but isnt 100% what you wanted) your dealer may call you and ask if you want it i.e. (silver pine pack 4). If you are looking for a rare color/option combination it could take 6 months or longer to get it. If you are looking for a common color combo it could be much sooner (4-6 weeks). Getting angry with your salesperson will only dissuade them from calling you when similar Priuses come in, and they may even put their favorite customers ahead of you if you are giving them grief. As far as ordering a Prius sometimes the dealership can adjust color combinations on the models 8 weeks out that havent been built yet, but they will only go through this amount of trouble for their best customers as they are not having problems selling the Prius and are certainly not desperate for your business. :blink:

4. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to have taken so long to reply, but ust noticed your post today.

No, i don't know how to track them outside of continually calling the dealer.

I ordered a black prius with an #8 pkg back in Nov. 2005. from Manhattan Toyota.
    In March 2006 the dealer called and said my car would arrive soon.
    He also said he was unable to obtain a car with an #8 pkg, but offered a #7 +
    an aftermarket leather. I told him I wanted an #8 not an aftermarket leather.

I then got my deposit back and went to Hudson Toyota in NJ who told me that they
    could get a black car with a #8 pkg. I ordered it on March 26th and picked up my
    car on May 1st. Case closed.

5. Xman

Xman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    I Just called the dealership and had them track it down. They were able to tell me where it was and when the truck would pick it up. You just have to talk with the right people.

Xman
    2006 Barcelona Red

6. hotnyh

hotnyh New Member

Now this is very wierd...
    I just registered to this forum yesterday (29 May) and I see a post addressed to me dated 3 May?? Unless there are 2 of us with the same nick in here.
    In any case, I can't help you. I'm posting from Singapore and doing some online research before plonking down my hard earned money for a Prius here. There are only 26 ordered so far in Singapore- they just launched the car on 1 May this yr.

7. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry, Promithius, I don't know how.

You can drive all over a 3-county area, like I did, trying to find one-- just a thought.

8. marcdare

marcdare New Member

Howdy. Greenfoot here. Im not sure how to answer your question. When I ordered through the dealer, they told me after informing me of the car being built, it would be 2-3 weeks for delivery. I then asked for the VIN # so I could order the HOV sticker. The car was in 3 DAYS LATER. I figured it was someone elses hand me down (thinking they passed for another color)...but it was indeed the same car with the same VIN #. So, your guess is as good as mine. Sorry I couldn't me of more help.

Out of curiosity, it says you posted that question on May 3rd, and addressed it to me. I just joined this forum last night (5/30/06). How did that happen? Is there another Greenfoot?

9. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenfoot @ May 30 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]262716[/snapback]</div>
    Why didn't you guys read any of the other 400 replies before you posted yours?

Any mods here? Can we get this topic changes or deleted or something?

10. hotnyh

hotnyh New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ May 30 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]262718[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, interesting. Never seen this function in a forum before. Pardon my ignorance. :(

11. sluggo

sluggo New Member

Sluggo here. Let's jst tie this thread! :p

12. sgails

sgails sgails

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Sorry, I am waiting to hear from my dealer. Wish I could track it myself.

13. dbaro

dbaro New Member

The dealership which sold us our Prius has an internet site- most of the toyota dealers have a website. The site offers an inventory dropdown. When you click on the dropdown, it provides an arrival date for the next delivery of a Prius. It's not updated mind you-just gives an arrival date. But that's how we got ours. The Prius that was to be delivered was cancelled by the customer, so it was up for grabs.

14. cwiser

cwiser New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    First off, thanks for welcoming me!

We had no plans to get a new car so soon. (We each have 2001 non-hybrids: a 19mpg Mustang and a 26mpg turbo Jetta.)
    But yesterday we decided to trade in the gas-guzzling Mustang for a new Prius. So I called a few dealerships. Three told me it would take 2-4 months. But one told me she could give us one with exactly what we want (options package #6) in 1-2 weeks!
    I tend to believe her...but, then again, I'm a bleeding-heart liberal.

Now my question: I've read that we can order the Prius with an option for 17" wheels with 17" EFPC Pirelli tires. Are any of you familiar with this? Do you think it would make the car handle better and/or be safer? We have an 8yo child and want the best safety features.

Thanks!

15. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered my 06 Prius today. Please see my other post but to answer your question quickly, I really don't know! I'm being told 2.5-3 months and that the sales person would call me frequently with a "status" updaye so maybe they do know more than they tell us!

Tom kn6vv

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>

16. MikeBoothe

MikeBoothe New Member

I have no idea. We ordered one here in the Kansas City area at our gov't office. The director who wanted it was leary of the 3 month wait. However, they searched outside the metro and located one in Topeka, about 60 miles away. took 2-3 weeks instead.

I also read something about 10 days ago (can't remember where) that the wait is about 3 months on the West Coast, but about 3 days in North Carolina.

Mike

17. CEABLU

CEABLU New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 3 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]249283[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite true here... You can surely pick one up off the lot "Good Luck" or you can place yourself on a waiting list... As the dearlership gets their allotments they can then assign you a specific vehicle... I am guarenteed (as it goes) a blue, pkg 6, on June 14th... They showed me a computer printout with the car info and my name... I went in a week later and they have an updated date of 12 June... So there must be some way they are updated...

Scott

18. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRomIthiUS @ May 3 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]249274[/snapback]</div>
    Hi:
    I'm not sure why you thought to ask me and I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. It looks like many before me have given you some helpful ideas. I will, however, tell you what I did. I called every dealership in about a 30 mile radius and told them I wanted an '06 Prius. Each asked which package and said they would put me on the their list for that model in their allocation. I wanted a black package 8, which was, apparently, rare so I was told it could be as little as six weeks but I should get used to the idea of four months.
    I called each one weekly and finally one said they had a package 7 coming in and they could put the leather into it as an aftermarket installation. I agreed and I had my Prius in a little over a month from that phone call. The total time from my first phone call to delivery was just about three months.
    I asked my dealership if there was a way to track it myself and they said no there wasn't. In fact, they said there wasn't a good way for them to track it. They said about two weeks before they got a car, they would be able to actually track it like a FedEx delivery, but that was only because it was at that point in port and labeled, much like a package.
    I hope this helps, if belatedly.
    Laundryczar