1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey let’s get hitched!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Cheap!, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pegasus_ @ Jul 4 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]472842[/snapback]</div>
    I think you're going to need to rent something to haul the trailer that has the electric car.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(essaunders @ Jun 28 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]469386[/snapback]</div>
    IT is Curt, and the exhaust problem has been fixed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(count_on_mike @ Jul 2 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]471658[/snapback]</div>
    I'm probably too late to help.... but just use heat and your finger nail. No chemicals or blades are needed. All they can do is harm.

Yup, I found the same thing. Hey, I got them to redesign the dang thing, so I guess I shouldn't complain about them still having the wrong bolts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pegasus_ @ Jul 4 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]472842[/snapback]</div>
    Don't do it. Just don't. Batteries installed or not. Rent a truck, or pay a shipper. Don't pull another vehicle with the Prius... please.

3. jweale

jweale Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pegasus_ @ Jul 4 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]472842[/snapback]</div>
    I think I'd spring the $500-600 to rent a truck and car dolly one-way (I'd rec Budget over U-Haul) and find a buddy (or fly back) to drive my Prius. Or hack together a wooden ramp and put your EV inside a small box truck and tow the Prius. Or maybe rent a generator and hit the EV list to see if you can couch surf / rest stop hop the EV over (it would be an adventure!).

The Toyota Highlander has a recommended max towing rating of about what you're looking at, and that is with the factory tow package. I would be concerned about serious damage to the transmission (-like planetary thingie)(technical Prii term) from almost doubling the vehicle's weight, regardless of where it is located in the car. Second concern would be hosing something in the regenerative braking system. Third concern would be blowing out something in the motor assist (although I would guess it is current protected). Fourth concern would getting assaulted by a Prius lover for car abuse enroute (some of these nuts are so far gone they even collect miniature Prii <_< ...).

4. Ferguson

Ferguson New Member

I have a Costal hitch and use it for a bike rack. Now I want to pull a motorcycle on a small trailer. Can I buy a wiring harness that is made for the Prius or do I have to wire it myself?

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pegasus_ @ Jul 4 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]472842[/snapback]</div>

Please don't even try this! These weights are just way to high to handle for the Prius. Did you know the Prius is only rated to carry 800 pounds total including driver and passengers. When we are talking about towing here it is for very light weighs of mostly under 300 pounds with very light trailers that are balanced so the tongue weight if lower then 50 lbs. Ask a friend or ask here or anywhere for someone with a pickup and a flat bed to give you a hand. They may just do it for the cost of gas, food, and a place to sleep.

Please really think about this. You are not suppose to tow anything, but most of us know we can tow a small amount but this is just way beyond--way beyond anything I have heard of before.

The Prius is very versatile but I don’t think it could handle that kind of punishment without damage. In fact, this could be dangerous to you, your car, or other on the road.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ferguson @ Jul 28 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]486766[/snapback]</div>
    Please refer to evnut.com, darelldd's site for instructions on this modification.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ferguson @ Jul 28 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]486766[/snapback]</div>
    There is a harness you can use, but you need to re-wire it - THEN it is plug-and-play.

Presto:
    http://evnut.com/prius_trailer_wiring.htm

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darrel,

I noticed from your 7/27/07 post that you have a sportsrig microlite. I have one but I have never towed it behind my (wifes) Prius. How is your milage affected? What kind of weight do you pull? I modified mine by raising the bars 8" so I could put stuff under the 2 Yakima boxes I have mounted. (Lotsa strange looks, 2 boxes on the trailer, 2 on the roof of the Subaru, I look like an ad for Yakima!) I have the light springs on mine and wish I had the heavier ones. I Pull about 200# on mine. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Icarus

8. sje333

sje333 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had to move my 4000# BEV, I rented the biggest, smelliest, diesel-guzzlingest truck Ryder had. Even that monster wasn't happy about the job. It was a sad concession to the oil industry, but there was no way around it.

If I ever see anyone towing a 2000# vehicle behind a Prius (even at 50 mph), I will follow at a safe distance and call Florida Highway Patrol. That would be a $76.50 ticket for "improper equipment." It is flat-out dangerous. If you find someone willing to install a Class-3 hitch onto a Prius, don't let him touch your car...in fact, I wouldn;t trust that person to work on a child's tricycle.

9. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed my Uhaul (made by Curt) hitch last night. I ended up using the tie-down bolts rather than those that came with the hitch.
    Is there any reason the bolts supplies with the hitch would be better than those from the car? The hitch and tie-downs both seem to be the same thickness.

Also another note, the facia needs to be trimmed towards the back as indicated in the supplied directions, but also forward as there is more metal there than the tie-down.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(essaunders @ Jul 31 2007, 04:08 AM) [snapback]487925[/snapback]</div>
    It may be that the bolts supplied are a stronger grade. If you look at the heads of the bolts, you can look to see if they are grade 5 or grade 8 etc.

Icarus

11. ktmmax

ktmmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to tow a light weight single rail motorcycle trailer and bike. Total weight of bike and trailer is 550 lbs. I have a class 1 hitch installed. Would it be ok to tow this set up? I have a 2007 Prius.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Hey let’s get hitched!

Sounds like it would work fine.

As for would it be ok, the question is ok with who? Toyota rates the Prius as having a zero towing capacity. In Australia, that zero rating means that it is illegal to tow with a Prius. I'm not aware of any similar laws in the US.

It would certainly be ok to carry 550 pounds of passengers and luggage. You'd feel the weight, but it's not unreasonable.

In California, towing anything limits your maximum legal speed to 55 mph, even on freeways posted for 70. As a practical matter, that means pretty much copying whatever big trucks are doing, usually in the low 60s.

13. rob1208lv

rob1208lv New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So who sells a 2" hit I have a bike rack with 2" but can't find a hitch and really don't want to use a adapter..??

14. savrip

savrip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

I'm hitched. Easy install thanks to Prius Hitch

No bolts came with my order (Amazon). The existing tow points had screws already and they worked great. Much better than the bolts that are allegedly in the hitch package. I need to get a 1 7/8" ball and wire up this puppy and I'm ready to pull!

[​IMG]

15. savrip

savrip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I

Here's a photo before our first tow. We hauled a few hundred pounds of kids clothes to a yard sale this past weekend at my sister-in-law's house about 100 miles away. It towed like a camp. I got better gas mileage loaded than empty, what's up with that? Anyone that's on the fence go for it!

[​IMG]