1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey there Prius heads... I've got a Priusasaurous 2001. Phantom current draw on the 12 v battery.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by RathlinPhil, Nov 8, 2020.

1. RathlinPhil

RathlinPhil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I recently got a gen 1, It was laid up a while and the 12v battery was dead. After attaching a few different good 12 aux batteries I now conclude there is a current loss somewhere.

I have code p3125 which I can clear using an android app. I still haven't been able to gain the sub codes.
    When I clear the code the car will start but only with a really strong battery.
    It drives fine charges the HV battery fine and also keeps the aux system at 14.2 v once running and will run all day if left on ready.
    When I switch it off the code reappears and the 12v battery needs to be recharged or jumpered to start.
    I'm using standard 12v flooded wet cell batteries and not AGM . Is it true the car won't charge them ?
    I want to bring life back to this old girl...

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You got some crappy battery's.

Lets prove it. Charge up your battery in the car. Not sure if the G1 has jump points if they do use them then when the battery is charged up to like 12.6 take the charger off and measure the exact voltage there WITH CAR OFF. Write that down.

With car still off turn on the headlights in high beam. Leave them on for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes turn off the headlights and with car still off wait one minute then measure the battery again.

A healthy 12 volt battery should not drop one volt with this very benign test. I would imagine yours are failing this test. I hope they are that's easiest to fix.

My 3 year old yellowtop does not drop 1 volt.

Then if it passes that test lets check the main drop connections to the car from the battery.
    With car off measure across the battery terminals Then measure the main input line into the front fuse box. You should see no more than a .5 voltage drop difference there.

Then do this same test with the headlights on car off. See if you see a much bigger voltage drop on the main line under load.

Lastly if it passes all these tests just use a good dvm and put it in ammeter mode (different plug) and get it in series with either ground lead or the positive lead at the battery and see what the parasitic draw is with car off. Should be not much probably around 100-200 Milliamps give or take.

Thousands of posts here with phantom 12 volt draw issue. Most just have bad battery's.

3. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply, I will run those tests and check. Although I tried a new battery which I had just put in my diesel van last week It's a 100amp/hr and starts the van no problem.
    The Prius wouldn't start with it today. When I'm metering at the battery and the voltage reding 12.9v but reading for the aux battery from OB2 connection is 12.3v. and drops below 12 v when I try and start. I've also tried a Optima red top I use in another vehicle.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it common for the gen 1 to display code P3125 because of a dead battery?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know nothing about a G1 to be perfectly candid. I do know the G2 codes though. But your in the middle of 12 volt shenanigans so that will cause many maladies.

Do my tests. keep your head do exactly as i described and it will get you out of trouble. Hopefully.

Good Luck!

6. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay I tried those tests this evening, the battery passed the headlight test. It started out at 13v and dropped to 12.6v in a the first two minutes and then only slowly dropped to 12.55v by 5 minutes.

The second test , the reading at the battery once recovered was 12.9 , the fuse box reading was nearly exactly the same (12.85-9) with no load . With the load applied the fuse box reading was .5 v lower at 12.4 v .

Also the aux supply voltage stated by the ECU is even lower at 12.1 v

I did start to doubt my connections to the battery but I did check again and I'm pretty sure they are good.

I've been trying to get techstream to read the sub code but it so far won't interface with the OB2 .

Here is the picture of the operation, I bought this car for scrap price but it has low mileage for its age ( 89,000) and a good HV battery.

Any help appreciated...
    Phil.

Attached Files:

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your battery failed this benign test. It should not have dropped 1 volt. The load the car puts on the 12 when you hit the start button is much instantaneously higher then this head light load test.

This headlight load test and the battery failure ( which is the battery dipping below 11.9 I believe) will result in the the red triangle of death that flashes just once upon boot up of the car. It does not log a DTC it's just a courtesy flash to tell you the battery is bad. Its very noticeable on boot up as its the only light on the dash that does not light during a bulb test when you start the car.

You have a bad 12 volt battery.

8. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ?? By report it didn't drop a volt.

Phil, you'll need an assistant or some jumper wires long enough to get up front to the driver's seat. Put a meter on the 12V battery and start the car. How low does the voltage go when you load it up with all of the modules firing up to start and run the car? (all you said above is "below 12V). The low is more like 11.2V but as soon as it's running it should be high 13-low 14

There is no connection to 12V problems and any particular codes (like the 3125). But 12V problems do tend to result in irregularities that trigger various kinds of codes. However, with the 3125 my guess is that you'll end up at an inverter issue. How that's connected to a no start w/out jumpers I can't say.

And FWIW, you don't want to be driving around with a wet cell on the inside of a car. Temporarily,ok. But if you can figure out your issue, get an AGM.

9. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think perhaps I wasn't clear in reporting my results, The battery never dropped more than .45 volts during any of the tests. It stayed above 12.5 during all tests and an attempted start . The test did show there was a .5v difference between the battery reading and the fuse box reading with the headlights on. Does this mean something? There is nearly 1 volt difference difference between the battery voltage (at terminals) and the voltage which the ECU is is receiving (read from ob2 parameters) , but this difference was there before i began any tests. The power is going somewhere down the line.

I took this battery out after the tests and it starts a 2.5 litre high compression diesel engine so unless the Prius computers and relays are some sort of monsters on the juice it is not the batteries fault.

10. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks, yes that's correct it didn't drop a volt. Yes I have the rear seat removed and long leads on the meter so I can voltage whilst trying to start. The voltage of the battery (at terminal) does not drop below 12.5 when everything is fired up and i try to start. But as stated above I do believe the car is not receiving 12v at the computer. The ECU is always stating 0.6 -0.8v lower than battery voltage.

I have actually already purchased a second hand inverter , but I'm not going to change them yet until i can narrow the fault down just in case i cause more problems.

Yeah I intend to get the correct battery, the one which came with the car is the correct one from Toyota and it is still under warranty although I haven't had a chance to get to them and harass them for a replacement. I live on a small island and the weather is stormy here, otherwise i would have been up to Toyota and gotten them to run a diagnostic. They've told me they charge 70 pounds (about 100$) for the pleasure. Is that comparable prices in the US?

cheers.
    Phil.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That voltage drop is normal on that line. I see .5 to .7 depending on the load so thats probably ok. hard to tell without looking at it. if it was me i would redo the main ground to the battery back there sand the chassis contact area down take the terminal clamps off and sand the inside of the clamp and the terminals down a little. But you do not have 12 volt issues i would think.

I know nothing about a G1 but the fact that it was laid up for a while tells me the hybrid battery in addition to the 12 volt battery died.
    We are seeing many G2 hybrid battery's failing now simply becasue the car was not driven and the battery died.
    Look at the G2 forums there all dying including mine. Yours is almost 20 years old.

Dead hybrid battery the car does not start. Stop fretting about the 12 volts and turn your attention to the hybrid battery.

use the search forums tab up top and put this in the search line:

G1 Hybrid battery

and also search for what kind of OBD DTC's it outputs for failed battery.

Find out how to check the battery's main dc output. On a G2 there's a service plate you can remove and check the high voltage dc on the battery pre relay. On a G2 a healthy capable battery should be around 230 to 240 volts. A start no go is around 200 volts and below.
    G1 may be close to the same. A quick battery dc volt check will answer the question real fast.

12. RathlinPhil

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

Thanks again for the replay and continued help,
    You are right about a dodgy ground connection a being likely culprit in this sort of scenario, I've been caught out by it a few times on old wagons..... Alas in this case it's not, I had the ground disconnected earlier and it was quite clean and well secured. Damn it anyway... It would have been a nice easy fix.

I'd heard about the HV battery dying on older cars especially when left sitting and when I got the car I pulled it out and tested it on the workbench. It was testing perfect at 7.85 on every cell and 300v (the gen 1 is a 290v batt) total at the main terminal. I'm happy about this! I think it was replaced about 6 years ago.

I have found one lead now however, The current draw appears as soon as the the car is switched to on position... I pulled all the fuses one by one with the ignition on, whilst testing at the fuse box. Removing the AM2 fuse stops the loss .