1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hey! This isn't right is it?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by The Electric Me, Sep 27, 2016.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.
    I promise I'll stop doing this.
    Because I don't' want to become The Prius Chat poster that come in and talks about "his Non-Hybrid" vehicle all the time.

But I thought I'd share this.

Today I'm driving my new Honda Fit and the low fuel light illuminates.
    I look at my total miles driven.

OMG!

With the Prius? I was just getting warmed up at 260 miles on a full tank. I didn't even think about the chimerical dream of a gas station until I reached maybe 360+, and most of the time I was pulling in, at around 420-500 miles traveled on the tank.

Now admittedly, this is the first tank from the dealership, and I expect much better gas mileage in the future. As I use to tell new Prius Owners, I don't want to freak out about the first tank. Plus, this tank, had a lot of burning of fuel while remaining stationary. Lot's of time spent sitting in the vehicle while running figuring out new features and how they worked. So a lot of fuel burning without the odometer moving.

I'm suppose to get a combined MPG of around 35. So I'm hoping things improve. I expect them to do so.
    Also, much like The Prius, from everything I read, the "warning" in The Honda Fit is very conservative. It has a cruising range, and all I've read is that you can drive it to Zero, and much like the Prius, expect to really have a generous cushion of fuel left.

Never gambled much with The Prius, probably won't with The Fit. I'll drive it to cruising range Zero, and then note how much gas I'm actually pumping in at fill up. That should give me a pretty good idea what my cushion REALLY is. Fit has a Prius like 10.6 gallon fuel tank.

I knew when I was going from HSD and Prius to The Fit, there would be some gas mileage adjustment shock. Or GMAS syndrome as I like to call it. But after 3 years of not having to even think about a gas station until well into 350+ ,miles traveled, I was shocked to see a gas pump icon illuminate with only 260 miles traveled.

And as an added anecdote....Yes, I keep coming up to stop lights and wondering why my engine is NOT shutting off. And last night when I pulled up to the drive through window, I somehow felt like I should apologize for the rudeness of my ICE continuing to run.

It's going to take me some time to adjust.

Being able to hang around Prius Chat should help ease the transition.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I hang on to my Prius. But, you do have a great car. Its like people who move from California.......life is so much better living outside of California, ...............till you come back and remember all the things you miss about California

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not to bore you will all the details but I went from a hybrid to a plug-in and then back to a hybrid and I went through the same thing. "Only" 500 miles on a tank? Geez, I just went to the station.......

I couldn't make the adjustment and went back to a plug-in.;)

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe look into FAS (Forced Auto Stop). If it's an automatic, I think push it into neutral, key off and coast to the light. It can be tough on the starter and battery though. And you need to stay real cognizant, get up and running when the opposing light is going yellow, for example.

AutoStop with a hybrid is what really hooked me, too.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks...but nah...
    I remember BEFORE I got the Prius discussions about turning off your engine with a standard ICE vehicle, and I just don't think it's a good idea.
    The Prius as a machine is carefully designed to do it, automatically and safely.

I don't want to be driving around a regular ICE and trying to match the automatic, computer controlled reality of HSD and a HV battery. Just doesn't seem safe to me.

Also...yes, this first time I was a "little" shocked. But....I do expect better gas mileage AND...when you go from Prius to nearly almost anything else? You just have to swallow the bitter pill that the gas mileage will not be as good. Unless you are going to a full electric or another "alternative" automobile, you just aren't going to get as good a gas mileage.

Kind of funny, that before the salesman knew I owned a Prius he was touting the FANTASTIC gas mileage of The Honda Fit, and how it would save me so much money and be so economical. --After his sales pitch I let it drop that I owned a Prius. I told him if I got 35 mpg with my Prius? Then I'd be looking at what was wrong with it.

Well...I was looking to trade it in...so...I wanted him to know that there was a LOT I liked about my Prius. Never good to negotiate from a position that you dislike the vehicle you are trading in, which really wasn't the reality. Even though maybe it was a little mean of me to let him go on and on about how fuel efficient The Honda Fit was...

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rear seat backs flip down very flush and level, making a nice little cargo hauler.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I went from a 2005 Prius to a Ranger with a 3L V6 just before the huge gas price spike.

Since you went smaller with the Fit, did you look at the Prius c?

8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The rude ICE running at the drive through made me laugh. It's funny, I don't think that when I'm in our van because I have seen what it's like trying to carry our 3 small childrens' car seats in the Prius and want no part of that. But when I am driving my dad's Nissan Altima I always think the same thing. It just seems like a small car shouldn't run its engine for no reason now.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can still pulse & coast to try and achieve higher mpg. I got 27.6mpg out of a 2AZ-FE engine in a 2002 Camry (that's a 2.4 litre engine w/ a 4-spd automatic) by pulse & coasting. Granted, that was just a trip mileage, not a tank mileage. Driving normally in mostly city driving (>90% city), the trip computer on the Camry consistently showed 10.9L/100km (21.58mpg) at best to 11.1L/100km (21.19mpg). Under the old EPA testing, it was rated at 10.1L/100km city (23.1mpg)

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When driving someone's car I always try to leave the trip meter mpg a little better than I found it.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly no. And that's NOT because I don't like The Prius c, which I think is a great product.
    I just have good memories and experience with my old Honda Fit and wanted to return.

Then my work here is finished.
    But seriously, one thing I always liked and discovered after owning a Prius is it's rather refined nature. The turning off at stops, the starting out on electric power on initial acceleration, I always thought created a very refined driving feel and experience. It was a benefit and plus to Hybrid ownership I unexpectedly enjoyed.

Yes, I'm going to have to reverse learn.
    Going back before 2010 when I was first learning about Hybrids, I read about hypermiling techniques and applied them to the vehicle I had at the time which was a 1992 Honda Accord. Basically just some pulse and glide, and a little thinking ahead to maximize momentum.
    I was impressed at the time with how much I could improve the gas mileage of even that vehicle with just some very basic, nearly common sense hypermiling techniques.

Honestly though, I think owning and operating a Prius for 3 years has implanted economical driving protocol in my subconscious.
    I've forgotten how to drive "badly".

It's also interesting to me that over the past 6 years, how "regular" ICE cars have adopted some of the Hybrid like feedback software.
    The Fit comes with a very Prius like information screen that shows instantaneous MPG as well as the average for the trip.
    Very familiar....except for the numbers don't routinely pass 40 mpg.
    Honda even includes an ECON button as well as a speedometer accented by lights that turn from blue to green depending on how economically and efficiently you are driving.
    It's not quite at Hybrid Prius level of feedback, but it's a far cry from most vehicles just 10 years ago.

Tideland Prius and Kramah313 like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah our daughter's Pilot is like that. Depressing as hell though: if you really work at it you can get the liters/100km under 10 (23.5 mpg (US)).

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, it takes me mental effort to remember to drive wastefully now.

Actually, the family Lincoln in the late '80s had instant and average fuel economy displays. Our 2001 Sable and 2000 Ranger did not. Hypermiling pioneers would install vacuum gauges in order to help keep the engine in efficient operation. Some cars had it installed at the factory as an economy gauge going back to the '50s or so.

Some cars would also go into neutral automatically while coasting back then. That proved dangerous without the availability of power brakes though.

Auto start/stop systems were appearing in cars before the Prius arrived. We knew what to do to improve fuel economy. Hybrids just make it easier to do so.:cool:

The Electric Me likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to come at it gradually. Warm up by wantonly throwing recyclables in the trash, for example. :)

The Electric Me and Trollbait like this.