1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi all, new Prius v owner

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by farmecologist, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rcglfr

rcglfr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    can you give some details about the "owners website"?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle, bisco and ITBland like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to update that all is well with the 2012 v (wagon). Steering seems to be better now after the suspension rehab project ( see above ), etc...

The car has around 150K miles on it now and doesn't noticeably burn oil (yet). EGR swap and all related crap is scheduled to be done this upcoming spring. Yes, I know...I'm pushing it as far as the EGR goes but I won't do it during the winter. That's my hibernation time! (y)

I'll have to say that the 2019 e-AWD Prius look pretty neat...must resist! :D

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m in resistance mode on a Prime or Model 3 out here:cool:.

Feel for you guys in the great white north who suffer from cabin fever every year;).

Here’s what it was like out here last weekend (about 60 F):
    DAE3F728-6A65-40DE-A8D8-DC7B7B911F54.jpeg B2491ECC-05DC-4DBD-AC6D-4EAC6DC84490.jpeg

Rough weather out here (y).

Montgomery, padroo and farmecologist like this.
  6. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I can't justify a Model 3....Plus, I want to see what competitors will do in the next few years. The E-AWD Prius looks like a great, win-win proposition for around here...virtually no MPG loss! My beef with Subaru has always been the inherent MPG loss with their AWD implementation. Subies are taking over around here though. They have a great thing going...justified or not. Whoever did the marketing for them should win multiple awards. (y)

Believe it or not, it has been unseasonably 'warm' up here..actually got into the 40s for a couple days! Also note that we are in the far southeast part of MN. MN is a big state south to north...and location really does make a difference as to the severity of the cold. Plus, some say it is an 'El Nino' year ( plus global warming...haha ). :whistle:

I'm longing for another road trip!

Just got back | PriusChat

BTW - My son and I may be doing a mini road trip during his spring break ( 1st week in April ). Thinking about flying into Vegas and going from there. Thinking about doing Death Valley, Joshua Tree, etc...anything else that is a must see while in the area? Note that we want to go *west* of Vegas since we have done Grand Canyon, etc...on prior road trips. I was thinking Yosemite, Kings Cayon, etc... too but that might be a stretch. Plus, it is still early in the year and I'm not sure what the weather is like there in early April?

jerrymildred, mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Head out to the Best coast(y).

Down south there are plenty of things to do, but I’m partial to Nor Cal and the stuff and things we have up here:).

Some questions:
    • How long would you stay?
    • You still got your national parks pass?
    • What area would you likely visit again versus one you would “check off of the list”?
    • What is your son in to that would keep his interest?
    An example in Nor Cal:

Fly into Sacramento (SMF) and you are:
    • 2 hours from Tahoe
    • 2 hours from San Francisco and all there is to see and do there
    • About 2-3 hours from the redwood forest
    • 3-4 hours from Yosemite
    • 1 hour from Napa if he is of age
    So there are options(y).

farmecologist likes this.
  8. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I'm partial to northern CA as well...much more my style ( I think anyway ). I *hate* Vegas...but it is a good, very cheap, place to fly into.

My son will only be 17. He loves the desert areas of Utah, etc.. more then any other place we have been - even Yellowstone! Go figure. We were originally thinking of going back to the Moab area to see what it is like when the temperatures are actually tolerable. We have been there three times during our summer road trips and did lots of hiking...but the temps were nearly unbearable ( for me anyways ). I later decided on a Vegas fly in because driving all the way to Moab might be a bit much for a spring break week.

So for me this will be a 'check it off the list' trip but he will really enjoy it. I hope to do northern CA wit my wife at some point soon.

Any yep, our park pass is still good. It would be around a 6 day trip, and we usually reserve these trips for day hiking and such...

RMB, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Palm Springs is close to Joshua Tree. Indian Canyon hikes are nice. It is where the original "palm & springs" are located.

indian-canyon-palm-springs.jpg indian-canyon-palm-springs2.jpg indian-canyon-palm-springs3.jpg

1hr from Palm Springs is the Salton Sea. More of an abandoned sea littered with millions of dead fish bones.

salton_sea_museum.jpg

1 hr 30 min from Palm Springs is Salvation Mountain

salvation-mountain.jpg

2 hrs from Palm Springs is this desert dragon and other desert sculptures.

desert-dragon.jpg borrego-springs-sculptures.jpg

Montgomery, RMB, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking at that last pic just on my phone, I thought you might be doing macro photography lol.

Very mild temps of late up here on BC coast, currently 50F at 9:30 am. Was colder, flirting with 0C overnight, a month or more back.

11. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  12. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Nice thing about Joshua Tree is you can just pull over and pick a nice pile of rocks to climb.

joshua-tree.jpg

farmecologist and jerrymildred like this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another vote for Joshua Tree. It's fantastic, and not nearly as crowded as Yosemite, although that is a stunning place.

PriusV17 and farmecologist like this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Deserts can be enjoyable at the right time of year;).

The time you would be going through there would work well.

We have family in Cathedral City and visit them the weekend after thanksgiving every year. Temps are in the 70’s and pleasant.

Joshua tree isn’t too far away and there is plenty of things to do and see.

Timing is everything and it sounds like a good trip.

If ever planning to stop by Nor Cal with your CFO, let us know if you want some recommendations (y).

15. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

We went thru Sedona on our 2018 road trip. The place is stunning....but it was also 108 degrees out that day! Kind of put a damper on our hiking just a tad. :D Hope to get back there at a more reasonable time of year.

However, The Sedona area seems to be getting somewhat 'overcrowded'. I'd almost call it a 'suburban hiking area' in places...which surprised me a bit and was rather disappointing. I like things more remote.

BTW - We really like SE Utah. Here is a good map I found somewhere of SE Utah trip ideas :
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nY59cXa2RYAit--VB1wKdI-E-sGnYguq&usp=sharing

And our 2016 trip map. This was a great route!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNQcPazvrNZLkDJndQHu4er2sYM&usp=sharing

PriusV17 and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Sounds good! I think the fly-in to Vegas and then Joshua Tree and Death Valley sounds like a good plan. Also looks like a couple interesting things to do at the Mojave National Preserve.

I'll post a google mymaps trip map plan if I get around to making one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I added Palm Springs to the list. Looks like a neat area to stay overnight.

PriusV17 and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sedona 30 years ago was a great place. Now, not so much. Did the high desert for several weeks a few years ago and ended uip coming back through Sedona. Least interesting of the days on our trip.

19. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm planning to go back to Sedona spring of 2019. Some of the parking lots to the hiking area can get crowded. One of the popular and beautiful hike is Cathedral Rock. Definitely a must hike. Can get crowded so go early to get good parking spots. They have overflow parking but slightly further from the trail head.

cathedral-rock1.jpg cathedral-rock2.jpg

Next time I go there I plan to rent an ATV and go off road to go to the more secluded places only accessible by dirt road.

Enjoy Palm Springs. If doing the Indian Canyon hikes, that first shot I took can only be taken if taking the "Victor" trail which splits from the grove of Palm trees to go higher elevation and then loops back to the parking lot. Beautiful views.

farmecologist, RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Looks like we have some hiking enthusiasts here. (y)

If you are interested, here are all of my trips that I have planned on Google Mymaps. My son and I do a 'guy trip' every year that consists of visiting national parks and other areas ( the more remote the better ). Mymaps is a fantastic tool..once you get the hang of it. I put an lot of planning time into each one. We were able to do a lot in a short amount of time due to having a rough plan.

Also note that you can download google maps to your phone for offline use...AND it also downloads any locations you have ' starred', etc... Makes it extremely simple when on the road. I used to use a Garmin and this is far, far better ( for me anyways ).

2015 - Yellowstone and places on the way : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pNVDWKBw-Uht2Ax0mRasJA4onWI&usp=sharing
    2016 - SE Utah and places on the way : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNQcPazvrNZLkDJndQHu4er2sYM&usp=sharing
    2017 - SW USA - places we missed in 2016 : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xHF9v2dpDqkYzE939LNQDA07UR0&usp=sharing
    2018 - Western USA - an even bigger loop! : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SZ1qRjr6NLZs-YSY9lb_cbTyxNUFAbYr&usp=sharing

2018 was pretty insane...given the time we had. It was doable though...we were travelling most of the day but usually had multiple hiking stops each day.

Anyway...as you can see...I really recommend Google MyMaps. :D

Montgomery, PriusV17 and Raytheeagle like this.