1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi and sorry if my question is dumb

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by snazz2112, Aug 18, 2019.

1. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi All,
    I just got my first hybrid ever, 2019 Prius Prime Advanced, and I would like to know what the optimum way to set/drive my car. I drive approx 35 miles one way to work. Mostly freeway but here in Southern California traffic can be nasty and slow at times. Should I run it in EV and when the battery is depleted (the last 8 miles or so) let it automatically switch to ECO mode. Will that hurt or make the battery degrade faster? There are chargers at where I work so I charge it everyday when I am at work and plug it in when I get home. I read that EV is mainly for city driving and when on the freeway switch it to hybrid mode. Thanks for your time and advice.

2. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, I’m interested too. Never heard driving highway EV is bad. I drive a similar distance and go 24 miles or so batt then eco the rest. Hmmm

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you don't have the range to get to work on EV, then run the engine in HV mode on the highway and reserve the EV for the lower speed section of the commute. EV is less suited to the Highway than HV - on a per mile basis the Highway will deplete EV more rapidly than surface streets or lower speeds. With some practice on the route you'll learn where to do the mode switches.

You mentioned an auto switch to ECO mode. There is no such thing. This is a manually selected mode (basically throttle response mapping) and you choose ECO, normal or power. The drive modes are different and are EV, EV auto and HV. Don't stay in EV auto the car will just deplete the battery then go to ICE. If you manually toggle between EV and HV, you control when the drive mode changes.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    while driving to work it was on EV mode and when the EV mileage counter on the HUD display counted down to 0, the car went to ECO mode while I was driving (that's why I thought it switched automatically). After a complete charge it says the EV mode range is 27 miles. Would I be doing harm to the battery by doing this? Thanks for the reply and advice.

5. ctscoob

ctscoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I say try it both ways, see what works best for you. My commute is 22 mi round trip, all highway except maybe 2 miles at most. I can also charge at work and I use EV mode the entire commute and still usually have a few miles to spare.

snazz2112 likes this.
  6. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to PriusChat !

Curiously, what's the cost of a gallon of gas where buy & what's your "Total" cost for 1K of electricity ?

Rob43

snazz2112 likes this.
  7. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    gas here is about 3.50/gal. as for charging I charged once at my house then I found that the mall about a mile away has free charging along with the free charging at work. I have been charging at the mall before work and at work. Will this prematurely age my battery by using it down to zero and charging it all the way back every day? Thanks

8. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My commute is almost the same, though I cannot charge at work, so I have to be even more miserly with the EV.

I've found that it's better to run HV on the highest speed part of your commute, and also the coolest temperatures would usually net you the best gas mileage overall. In fact, I run HV for my whole commute to work and leave work in EV and it runs out about the time I hit the high speed highway again, and while that doesn't get the very highest mpg, but it's pretty close and it's less worry.

Experiment, it'll actually be fun to figure out the best method and the easiest. And don't worry about the car, it's designed to be both EV and HV and it actually does either pretty well!

Arctic_White and snazz2112 like this.
  9. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, I will start experimenting and see how it goes.

10. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So far, charging, charging, & more charging has not been a reported issue; so knock yourself out.

With all of your different Free charging, I'd personally try to drive it in EV mode as long as possible. All of my early testing would be based on this...

You'll figure it out soon enough.

Rob43

snazz2112 likes this.
  11. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, I was leaning in that direction and see how it goes.

12. Curlyone

Curlyone Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds like you are asking if using 100% of a charge, then charging back to 100%, is a problem?
    If so, dont worry about it. The car wont actually use the full battery, it reserves some capacity at the top and bottom to protect the battery. When you see 100% its actually like 80%, and when you see it go to zero there's actually about 15%, this is by design.

So short answer, use all the charge and dont worry about it.

snazz2112 likes this.
  13. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the "pulse and glide" technique (driving a basic hybrid - Prius four using ECO mode) and get between 65 to 70 mpg (city). You should be able to get better mpg with a Prime. Accelerate to posted speed limit (or up to 5 mph + depending upon state highway patrol) and then feather the ICE to maintain speed. Then, instead of driving up to stops, "glide" to it, when you can. You can also improve fuel efficiency by anticipating traffic. E.g. when you see a traffic light turn red, if you are familiar with the signal timing, you can avoid coming to a complete stop before it turns green. This can significantly increase mpg.

Given the SOCAL traffic, your biggest problem with "pulse and glide" will be inadvertently pissing off the drivers behind you. So don't be too religious about it. Use it when the adjacent lanes are available for drivers to get around you. Otherwise, keep up with the traffic as economically as you can to avoid road rage.

The above driving technique pertains to the basic hybrid. For a Prime, I would expect that most of your city driving (stop-and-go traffic) will be in EV mode, reverting to ECO mode "pulse and glide" when battery charge gets low.

#13 ice9, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    snazz2112 likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No harm done to the battery by what you are doing. The car is designed to switch to HV automatically when EV range reaches zero. That being said, you may want to experiment with switching EV/HV during your commute. As mentioned by others, it is usually more efficient to switch to HV on highway at high speed than keep it on EV, but you don't want to have to go though engine warm-up more than once during the trip to conserve unnecessary gas use. How long is your highway-high speed drive distance usually? If that is longer than stop-and-go slow traffic drive, I would suggest switch to HV only once slightly before getting on the highway and the use HV just long enough to switch back to EV to get to your work (or home) with as little as EV range left but not run out of it.

ice9, snazz2112 and jerrymildred like this.
  15. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. I will. I was just co cerned that it I did that will it wear out the battery and or electric motor faster.

16. snazz2112

snazz2112 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My highway distance is about 30 miles to work. But here in SoCal if there is an accident/vehicle stalled in a lane or construction, the commute will be slow. On those days should I switch to hybrid mode? Thanks

17. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not sure he can assume typical highway conditions if he's using I-5 during the rush hours. Last time I commuted in and around the LA "grapevine", during rush hours sometimes IT could be stop-and-go traffic!

snazz2112 likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, count stop-and-go traffic on highway as EV drive segument. That will be a variable he can experiment on.

snazz2112 and ice9 like this.
  19. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mode is different from Mode. (n)

Eco, Normal, and PWR modes are just accelerator pedal mapping. Eco gives you less giddy-up at partial pedal travel. PWR gives you the most. Normal is somewhere between. Use the setting that feels best to you. My mild mannered spouse uses PWR on the freeway to better scoot into an opening in traffic.

EV or HV modes are propulsion modes. EV is battery only until it is depleted, then you get either engine or battery as the computer decides. HV is usually engine but sometimes battery. I always start out in EV then let the system take care of itself. Nothing need be done. There may be a way to fine tune this, but don't worry about it. Learn all about your new car, then try fiddling with things.

Keep in mind the 3 driving rules:
    Drive safely
    Drive courteously
    Drive efficiently (Please don't try for max efficiency at the expense of safety or courtesy)

20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As mentioned, the pulse-and-glide technique applies only to hybrids, or plug-ins when the battery is depleted and you are operating in HV (hybrid) mode. In these scenarios, all the power is ultimately coming from the gasoline engine (ICE), and the pulse-and-glide technique results in the ICE being operated in the mode where it is most efficient: under load, and turned off otherwise. OTOH, electric motors have pretty much the same efficiency regardless of load. It's the ICE that one has to fuss with.