1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hi New here anyone know the answer to this?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tinks, Dec 30, 2012.

1. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi just signed up today, my name is Tinks (female) whos parents have a 2001 Gen 1 which they love and I am looking to buy one myself.
    I have a couple of questions though:
    1: Does anyone know what the oblong hole that is in the boot (trunk for USA Guys) on the right hand side (UK car) which is covered by the carpet but beside this is where the towing eye is. What is the hole for please ?
    2: What do I need to look out for when buying a 2001 Gen 1 model, any trouble/problems with this model.
    3: Anywhere that I can buy assosories for this model, factory options etc, does anyone know what they where?

Thanks, a Female going Green and studying night school Mechanics xx

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Tinks welcome to PC. Probably not the answers you want but here we go:-

(1) As I have not got a gen1 Prius I do not know. Could you post a picture.
    (2) The biggest problem with the gen1 cars is now the age and reliability of the high voltage battery. these can be rebuilt with gen2 cells "much better cells" but you need 2 gen2 batteries to rebuild a gen1 "more cells in gen1". The transmission in the gen1 is also less reliable than the gen2 "electric motor and bearing problems".
    (3) Accessories really only available from Toyota "few aftermarket parts as car was only sold in small numbers in UK.

I know I have perhaps painted a black picture of the gen1 Prius but the odds of finding a good reliable car that is now 10/12 years old are slim.

I Feel you would be much better off looking at gen2 Prius as there are more of them and they were much improved on the gen1. Do not be put off by high millage cars the gen2 Prius is very reliable and spares from breakers readily available. You can always use high miles as a method of bringing prices down.

What area are you in?

Hope this helps.

John (Britprius)

ftl likes this.
  3. Suzanne2001

Suzanne2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tinks! I'm new today too!

That oblong hole... I asked when I bought my 2001 Prius new & the dealership didn't know either. I use it when I've got something I don't want rolling around in the trunk.
    I found this thread:
    Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius | PriusChat
    It's very consistent with my experience. Like John, I recommend going for a Gen II. My HV battery just died & I'm expecting the transmission to follow soon after. At $3k a pop it's just not worth it. I've twice had to replace the steering unit. The first was later recalled so it was free, but the second time was another $3k. Other than that I've had no real issues & I'm not exactly kind to cars.

The only factory option I wish I'd gotten was the original floormats. I thought $70 was silly at the time & got cheapos. The factory ones button down though. You can get these sorts of thing through the dealerships still (at least in the US) but I find that the prices I find by simply googling the part saves about 1/3 to 1/2.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome!
    I believe it holds something like a first-aid or road-side kit for the Japanese cars. I've never seen such kits in the US models.

Let me suggest:
    • Used NHW20 (2004-09) - many problems with the NHW11 (2001-03) were fixed and the few known weaknesses have been addressed either by extended Toyota service and/or Good Prius Friends who figured them out.
    • If you have alternate transportation, the NHW11 is OK and can be used to learn a lot about the Prius
    • If this is your sole transportation, NO!
      • A used NHW20 in the 36,000-60,000 range is a good buy :: still has Toyota drive train warranty
      • A used NHW20 in the 60,000-100,000 range is an excellent buy :: still has Toyota hybrid warranty
      • A used NHW20 in the +100,000 range is a value buy :: it is a fairly low-risk and stable car
        • AutoBeYours and ReInVolt have been rebuilding crashed Prius for years and give a 1 year warranty
      • About 900,000 in the USA means plenty of used (aka., cheap!) parts from salvage yards
        • Used NHW11s are in the middle to low 40,000 range and getting smaller
      • Independent NHW20 mechanics and Good Prius Friends are a lot more common than NHW11 aware mechanics
    • You have many more 'after market' and experimental options with the NHW20 that are more difficult with the NHW11 . . . you can still 'learn' from your daily transport car
    • Use Ebay "completed" sales to find the 'fair market price'
    We bought a used, 2003 Prius in October 2005 along with $300 in manuals. It had 49,300 miles and now has over 151,000 miles yet it still gets 52 MPG. But we also have 2010 Prius with 35,000 miles and I have enough 'cash reserves' that I can choose to repair or retire the 2003 Prius. When the temperatures fall below 40F, I choose to drive the 2010 Prius because it has superior, cold weather performance and the NHW20 has some excellent tricks too.

Now if you have alternate transportation and want something to experiment, the NHW11 is not a bad choice for a 'disposable' car. So you blow it up . . . no big loss. But these 10 year old cars can rapidly become a 'project car.' For those of us who like a challenge, OK, but sometimes projects 'grow old' and you want to do something new.

Since your parents have the NHW11, consider working with them to upgrade them to a more modern Prius and you take/buy their car . . . for some fair deal.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tinks,
    The oblong hole is for storage and no other purpose (if its the "hole" I'm thinking of). Use it as you please.

Bob's posts are a tough act to follow but he has great info up there. All I can say is, I love my Gen I just as much as I love my Gen II.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In general, that.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ^^^^ Wait a year or so.;)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tinks,

I've been thinking about how your parents might get a new or better replacement Prius and you might get their NHW11.

Get the specifications and reviews for the current Prius, Prius c, and the earlier NHW20 (2004-09) models. Call your local Toyota dealer and ask if they have any used Prius and which of the new models. Then approach your parents with a proposal that they upgrade their Prius to one of the newer ones, either new or used, and you offer to match any trade-in value offered for their NHW11 plus $500.

Your parents get a newer model Prius. You get their used NHW11 which I'm assuming is still working perfectly fine. That way you're not trying to find a good NHW11 in the open market. But for good measure, schedule a visit to the service center to have it scanned (traction battery module voltages), lubricants including transaxle oil, coolants, clean throttle body, and wheel alignment.

Bob Wilson

scotman27 likes this.
  9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I like that Idea, very nice bob.

10. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi John (Britprius),

Many thanks for your message and interesting indeed, my parents gen1 is a 2001 with only 56,000 miles on it and serviced all by Toyota, it is in mint condition and they love it as I do when I drive it, they are now looking to give me their car and buy a gen2, whos a lucky girl then lol

Will take a photo of the boot thing but as they bought it from new there never was anything in this hole and they always wondered what it was for, even the UK dealer didnt know! So it has always been at the back of our minds as to what this was/is for.

John honestly my parents car if you drove it you would think it had just come of the showroom floor, will take some photos of it asap.

Thanks Tinks x

Britprius likes this.
  11. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Suzanne,
    Yippee another girly who is eco, keep in touch as we girls need to get this planet sorted out for our childrens sake,
    OK reading your message Ouch, now that is a worry for me and my parents, the only thing I can say is that my parents have had the car from New and only have 56,000 miles on it with FULL Toyota servicing being done every 4,000 miles! yes I know but its how they are. Now they are looking to give me the car (its a 2001 saloon) and buy a Gen2, Yippee for me and as for the mats yes they never got them when new either, would like to buy them if anyone knows where to get them from in the UK? Originals please/Price/Location etc would be of help.

Thanks Suz and keep in touch, Happy New Year to ALL.

Tinks

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Tinks, Congratulations on your new car and I hope it will give you much pleasure and many trouble free miles. Look forward to seeing the pictures in the near future.

If you put your location in your avatar this not only helps with problems "left, right had drive ect" it also helps with position of components, service intervals and prices.

There is an assumption "understandable since this is a US forum" that posters are in the US, but Prius Chat is now world wide there is even a member in Outer Mongolia.

Again good luck with your car and keep dropping in on PC.

John (Britprius).

13. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

14. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the info, seems this maybe the answer as not even Toyota knows the answer lol

Tinks x

15. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Bob,

You seem to be the man to know, are you also a saleman lol sounds like a good Idea, thinking about this

Tinks who may have a "cunning plan" Baldrick x

16. tinks

tinks New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi John,

Thanks will do and understand all that you say here. Im Eco now after my Golf blew up with oil starvation from the spray bar which got clogged up and went brittle. Bye Bye Golf hello mums Prius, its so quite, love it

Tinks (doing night school mechanics in the UK)

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tinks I know they will not be originals but I bought some mats on Ebay that make them for most cars. My OEM mats were getting tatty after 85,000 miles so I ordered some.

When they came I was amazed at the quality and fit for the price paid they even supplied new plastic hooks that stop the mats moving.

You can have your name or any other decals embroidered on them in a collour of your choice. If you are interested I will see if I can dig out the address and phone number (made in the UK).

John (Britprius).

18. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Here Stateside I was able to just walk into the parts department of our local Toyota dealer and order replacement mats. They're completely Toyota OEM right down to the green leaf-car logo and the eyelet for the hook in the floorboard on the driver's side. They were only about $100 a set U.S., and since we're twins, I ordered a set each for myself and Linda.

These were replacements for the originals that we ordered when we first bought our cars, and I'm even thinking about ordering yet another 2 sets, to salt away in case they become unavailable somewhere down the line.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tinks really, you mean your Prius do'sent sound like a Golf?:LOL: