1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Bulb Retainer Spring Clip Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Imholte, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Josh Imholte

Josh Imholte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

Replaced HID bulbs and after going back in to reseat the bulb since high beam wast working, the clip fell that keeps the HID bulb in. I tried to get it but it fell further.

Done a lot of research today but not a lot of great links out there. Anyone know where I can buy a couple more clips?

It must have fell into an extremely hard to get corner to the left of radiator since I took a few bolts off front bumper to go looking around and its no where. I've had to drive the car since losing the clip, so I assume its lost forever.

Any helpful links for replacement spring clips or cut my losses and replace headlight assembly? Only bad thing there is I'd have to do the driver side as well so that can get costly.

Thanks!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can't find a replacement, check out ebay or craigslist for anyone selling parts from a wrecked car. Maybe you can get lucky and find one close that they'll let you have a clip off a broken light.

Josh Imholte likes this.
  3. Josh Imholte

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These were one option I've found thats shipped from US. Several I found shipped from UK which delayed delivery.
    UNIVERSAL HEADLAMP HEAD LIGHT BULB RETAINING SPRING CLIP H7 2 TYPES INCLUDED | eBay

If anyone knows if these are at a local auto shop, please let me know. I still wouldn't mind having more on hand. From looking at their sites online, looks like they don't.
    Still, won't get them for a while, any videos focusing on removal of head light on passenger side? Def don't want to risk losing the clip again.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try searching for the Lexus option (or variation of such) :

"2006 2007 2008 2009 LEXUS IS250 IS350 XENON HEADLIGHT BULB RETAINER CLIP CP55"

Josh Imholte likes this.
  5. Josh Imholte

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clips finally came in last week and finally got a chance to get to it yesterday. Followed a video to loosen up the front bumper and take out the headlight to ensure I don't drop the clip again. I was sent like 6 types of clips. Pretty sure at least 2 of them could have worked but narrowed it down to one that fit best. It wasn't exactly like the OEM one but got the job done.

Closing the book on this one for now, hopefully the new HID's last a while lol!

SFO likes this.
  6. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I accidentally knocked the driver side clip off. Does anyone know how to put it back on please? The mechanic wants to charge me over two hundred to fix it.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have a smart phone with the selfie camera/facetime camera, Use your phone to look at it. Or use your phone to take a photo. Actually, I think I have an HID assembly in the garage. I'll find it and post a photo for you.

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0031.JPG

#7 TMR-JWAP, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There ya go. Driver side HID style headlight from a 2007. It even had a Philips 42506 in it...just keep in mind these photos were taken on an assembly that was removed from the car. The pivot point is actually at the bottom when the headlamp assembly is installed on the car and would look like this if you were able to look inside...

IMG_0031.JPG

SFO likes this.
  9. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, that was actually helpful. A few weeks later I had to replace the ballast. So I had to remove the entire headlight assembly anyway. But this made it easier to get it back on, Thank You.

10. Queueball

Queueball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    TMR-JWAP Just wanted to let you know that the picture you posted of the headlight retaining spring really helped me out. I bent mine when I replaced bulbs years ago while the assemblies were still in the car. Got them to work eventually. This past week I removed the bumper cover and headlight assemblies in order to restore and clear coat them and replace broken fog lights.. During reassembly I tried to bend the clips to make it work properly but 'the harder I tried the worser it got'. Printed your photo and used it as a pattern to reshape mine. Not pretty but working well.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

11. Tina W

Tina W New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hiya, thank you for your posts! Hey, my springs are “sprung” and won’t hold my bulbs in properly, so I light up the overpasses! Anyway, I have had no luck finding the correct ones and don’t want to get the eBay universal ones only to spend hours attempting to bend them just so...when all that does is make them worse. Any help locating the proper ones would be super awesome. I have now attempted to fix the bulb/springs 4 times...so getting burned out on the whole process. Thank you.