1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID conversion

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by rahn522, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone

First of all I want to apologize in advance if this tread exists. I'm new here.

I bought a HID conversion kit for my PC and I have a few questions.

Do I need to buy a relay to prevent flickering? (Has anyone have/had this problem?)
    Can I just use zip ties or a double sided mounting tape for the ballasts?
    Where did you guys mount your ballasts?
    Any there any other wiring needed besides the HID bulb lighting/Ballast wiring that originally comes with the kit?
    And any other answers I need to know.

Thanks in advance!

2. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey M,

Thanks! I found your post after searching around after my post. I got the highly recommended HID kit from Xenonsupply.com.

I'm still waiting on the delivery. I've been looking over the manual and trying to figure out how to install this thing.

How did you mount the ballasts? Did you take out the fuse box on the passenger side? I didn't want to mess with anything or take out something I shouldn't and not be able to put it back in =T

Also it'll be REALLY helpful if you figured out how to take the hood & trunk emblems off. I tried taking those little plastic tabs out from the front bumper under the hood but the plastic won't budge and I don't have an angled screw driver =T

Your post gave me great ideas on how to change up my car :)

I'm also in the process of ...
    - Changing out my parking lights, interior lights, license plate lights, to white led (I hate the stock yellow)
    - Possibly blacking out the badges (plastidip? or match the color of the car?) & the Toyota emblem
    - Try and figure out how to cover up all that ugly chrome on the tail lights (maybe I'll use tint vinyl) - I saw on ufourya's post = Picked up my new PC3 today - HIDs installed, debadged, more to come | Page 2 | PriusChat and was very impressed by it.. but I don't have the time and patience to do it lol
    - Smoke out the side turn signals, front headlights, tail lights, & rear brake lights
    - Add carbon fiber decal to cover up the blue hue on the hood/trunk emblem.
    Toyota Prius Carbon Fiber Emblem Insert Decal Blue Heat JDM 2010 2011 2012 | eBay
    - Add fog lights - I saw ones from JDM - Like it - Way too steep on the prices.
    - Get rims
    - Change the amber lights on turn signals/emergency lights to a different color amber.
    - etc, etc, etc

4. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Rahn,

I usd the mounting pad provided by XenonSupply to mount the ballasts to the inside fender of the car on the flattest spot. No need to remove anything to do this.

I have no plans to remove the front and rear Toyota emblems...I like them just the way they are...I have seen some threads on PC where they have been removed...

Good luck on all your mod plans!!

-M

5. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both of my XenonSupply 3M pads failed within a few months. The glue melted from the sun beating down on the fenders. One pad separated from the fender and the other let go of the ballast. Just an FYI.

6. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just checked mine....same issue!! Will need to come up with a better way....I am thinking 3M duallock...clear version...

-M

All about 3M Dual Lock

7. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OH! thanks for letting me know! I had a feeling those things won't stay long. I had 3M double sided tape for my transponder on my windshield and the heat from the sun melted it and was laying on my car seat...

I don't think there's room to put a mounting bracket for our cars... hmm maybe zip ties will work?

8. kd9jb

kd9jb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345758368.443267.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345758397.867590.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345758433.741614.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345758460.291886.jpg
    Here are some shots of my mounting of the ballasts. Clips and screws from the local hardware store.

rahn522 likes this.
  9. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  10. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey M,

Have you had any issues when you installed your LED lights for the Interior Map lights? - The LED bulbs works great but for some reason when I place them in all the way they don't.. I have to jiggle it a little bit and pull it out a bit instead of fully putting it in... When I put the old ones back in and lock it in it works fine...

I thought something came loose when I pulled out the old ones but that doesn't seem to be the case - it does that with ALL of the bulbs... I tried them out with my trunk / license plate lights no issues when i lock them all into place.

11. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Rahn,

Try bending out the metal prongs a bit on either side of the bulb...sometimes they are not straight too.

Good luck on the install!

-M

12. rahn522

rahn522 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Finally put the HIDs in - Everything is secured and works great! Thanks for all your inputs everyone!! :D - If anyone have any tips on how to paint / plastidip the emblems and badges please let me know!! - I tried to do it but failed miserably ):

13. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Remove badges, sand as much of the vacuum chrome as you can with some fine grit sandpaper, spray with primer, after the primer is dry, spray with your color, after color is dry - if it looks good, then one coat of clear coat, otherwise sand again and repaint. To reinstall, cut thin strips of double sided tape and put on back of emblems, stick back on car. The Toyota logos use pin connectors and can be removed with force, the other badges are all taped on.