1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up my new PC3 today - HIDs installed, debadged, more to come

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by dellrio, May 30, 2012.

1. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I fooled around with my tails today and designed some vinyl overlays that leave the essential lights uncovered while visually reducing the size of the light assembly. Still assessing the result. Changes/refinements may follow.

IMG_3109 (800x731).jpg IMG_3110 (800x485).jpg IMG_3111 (800x600).jpg

loaddown and hellomrx like this.
  2. hellomrx

hellomrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ufourya,

Did you paint the sides of the tail lights or did you buy them? Or did you cover them with vinyl?

3. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Really love the Overlays - I was considering pretty much the same concept for mine, was going to smoke all the white parts, and leave the red, and red-out the center circle. Then use the JDM color matched garnish for the sides. Do you have a vinyl cutter - or did you do this by hand? If you used a computer - I would be interested in a set and would be willing to compensate for time, materials, and shipping.

4. secondspassed

secondspassed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'd be curious to see how rear turn signal visibility is with those wraps on. It looks like you only left barely a sliver showing.

5. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If it is a black translucent vinyl visibility should be just fine - but honestly the size of the turn signals is a bit ridiculous. Laws very from state to state but in IA there has to be at least 1 square inch of visible light to be legal - im sure that sliver would pass in Iowa

6. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I made templates out of lucite and cut around with an exacto type blade - certainly wish I had more sophisticated equipment! It took a few tries and is still not perfect. Actually there are two templates - one for the sides that wraps around at the top and leaves the turn signal clear just where the light bulb is. The second covers the back-up lights. A big pain is correctly locating the cut-outs for the vortex generators as I don't have the proper tools for cutting them into the template.

I am thinking of a lighter smoke or red for the center stop light as well. I think smoking the entire tail would look really nice, but am concerned about the permanency of paint/legality. Law enforcement with time on its hands seems drawn to me. I have been stopped three separate times for tag issues. Covered tag with lightly smoked plastic, tag inside front windsheild, and clear plastic cover are all no-nos around here. I have given up on that as I have better things to do with my time than converse with public servants. (Like wasting it at Prius Chat.)

Do you have a link to the jdm garnish? I'd like to see how it looks, cost, etc.

7. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    $(KGrHqJ,!h4E8J8Krg)HBPNLjOhceQ~~60_12.JPG
    Here is the link to the JDM tail Light cover things - they come painted to match your car - the colors are called different names in Japan - but they should be the same Toyota Colors.

2012 2013 TOYOTA PRIUS C AQUA NHP10 GENUINE REAR PAIR GARNISH JDM VIP JAPAN | eBay

Below that are a couple other JDM pieces I really like but can not justify the cost....

2012 2013 TOYOTA PRIUS C AQUA NHP10 GENUINE REAR WING SPOILER JDM VIP JAPAN | eBay

2012 2013 TOYOTA PRIUS C AQUA NHP10 GENUINE LED STYLISH BEAM LAMP JDM VIP JAPAN | eBay

ufourya likes this.
  8. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. OUCH! I think I'll keep refining the vinyl 'til I'm happy. $15 and some elbow grease vs. $350.

dellrio likes this.
  9. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the price is a little outrageous. I am still hoping to get a pair of tail lights from a totaled C eventually to open up and rebuild (and paint to color match) from the inside.

10. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The sliver is where the bulb is, so it's not a problem. At night the whole thing lights up as the vinyl is translucent. Maybe I'll edit later with photos.

11. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    secondspassed likes this.
  12. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the de-badged look as well, I'd do it in a minute to the rear of my car but they tell me there are holes where they are mounted not just adhesive. I had 2 Audi TT's and de-badged them too also my '06 G35.

FYI I used dental floss instead of string and got the badges off with no worries, it was the Glide brand I used.

There are people that make film for tail lights if you want to make them all red you might consider that option.

Cheers :D

13. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The 2011 Prius Hatchback does have badge Pin Holes under both the HSD badge and the Prius Badge (curse toyota for these pointless holes!) Best bet would be to remove and colormatch like I had done on my 2010, or if you really hate them - you may have to visit a bodyshop.

I have the red-out vinyl in bulk - but due to the huge size of the tails and the compound curves I am thinking all red may be a little too much for this car. I have been super busy but I will play around with a few options and figure something out.

14. Floppedonkey

Floppedonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yuck

15. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Jealous, huh?

dellrio likes this.
  16. Floppedonkey

Floppedonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]

You made this guy jealous.

17. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I disagree - I think huge contrasting tail lights that are flashy and blingy are ugly.

I love the blacking out of the top and bottom, the center section is not what i prefer (i would have went red) - but its not my car, and really all that matters is if the owner likes it. At least he is doing something to match the vehicle to his tastes despite the lack of aftermarket options that anyone with a few dollars can do.

ufourya likes this.
  18. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Seems so, but if I'd known that he won a trophy for YARD OF THE WEEK, I'd have been more careful in my assessment. :)

19. Redcap32

Redcap32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just debadged my C today and it does look nicer and people won't constanly tail gate me because they read I drive a priusC.

dellrio likes this.
  20. dellrio

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Its unbelievable how much removing the Prius Label from the car changes how people act about it. Its just a car but man you put a Prius badge on it - and people seem to think you are driving slow and holding up traffic - even if your passing people at 80MPH... I like the Bumper blackout you did too - looking nice!

hellomrx and secondspassed like this.