1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID cutoff not as good as I thought?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by F8L, Apr 24, 2012.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually looking for tips on the harness relays.

Good tip on the zip ties for the ballasts as I did use double sided tape. I added some foam on the side next to the fender for cushion to keep the standard size ballasts from banging against the fender. Slim ballasts would have been better.

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't your harness relays mounted to a small mounting piece? You can zip tie through the opening on the plate and find any area to connect to. The place that did my install, used a self-drilling sheet metal screw and mounted it to the top frame(?) behind the passenger light (in the area right where the opening for the air intake is).

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it has a mounting plate. I actually tried the spot you are talking about, but the power wire isn't quite long enough. I guess I could extend it though. The other option is to place it on the drivers side I guess. I was hoping there were some elegant solutions.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd put it on the drivers side. I'll see what the install shop did with all my wires when I open it back up to replace the driver side light that I broke. There's so many wires and I haven't had a chance to trace it all out yet. Let us know what you decide to do.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks got the wiring done and I have the bumper and headlights out. Trying to figure out a couple more pieces before I get the nerve up to split the headlights. Unfortunately, these don't come with instructions.

Anyone know:
    1) Where the high beam solenoid wire passes through the housing?
    2) It comes with a bunch of gaskets. Are those used?

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone, Haven't been on here for a while. Busy etc. If F8L is still out there, he had a query whether 55w HIDs would damage stock halogen projector on the 2010 Prius.

Well, the definitive answer is no. At least with the HID units I am using.

I was unfortunate enough to hit a roo recently. The left hand headlight unit was totally destroyed along with the left hand mudguard (fender) and the front bumper unit. This enabled me to inspect the glass lens and the reflector. No sign of bubbling, overheating, coating on the lens or reflector or discolouring. In fact it looked to have been pretty well pristine before roo dismantling.

I still think it pays to buy quality bulbs which can be guaranteed to be UV cut but I am happy with the results of my experiment which has gone on for around 80,000 kms.

Every thing is covered under insurance, including the headlight modification and I am presently driving a 2013 Camry hire car. But boy I miss my Prius!!!:cry:

F8L likes this.
  7. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think there is much diffference between the 55w and 35w HID's as far as output is concerned. All you need is a good projector housing. Very satisifed with the OEM cut off pattern. There is a logical reason for bowing on the sides as far as I am concerned. Makes better visibility on the sides and won't trade it with a traditional straight cut off beam pattern. The cut off beam pattern of the OEM projector looks out of the ordinary. But now I understand why.