1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID cutoff not as good as I thought?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by F8L, Apr 24, 2012.

1. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Post #24 is talking about the Harley light......unless I mised something :confused:s

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am concerned more with the left. I edited my post though so re-read it. I see the upward bow on your left-side beam as well. :)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I see what you're talking about...

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize it looks like no big deal in the pictures you provided but check it again at night and let me know what you think. Also watch passing cars as you drive through neighborhoods or city streets. Are you lighting up their interior or their heads as you make turns? lol

5. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks a lot F8L! i was about to buy some xenon depots and my prius this week. i guess ill have to wait for the results before buying one or the other.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem. I think. :)

We'll get this figured out within a few days. I will need to have someone drive my car in the opposite direction of a vehicle I'm driving so I can determine if the glare is unsafe or if lowering the beams will fix the problem if one exists.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, I had typed up stating that I was going for pictures, and then left without posting lol. Anywhere, here's some pictures with the Morimoto's....There's one from about 15 foot and another about 25 foot. Either that, or I'm really bad at judging distance.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, brother!

Yours has the bow but it doesn't look as drastic. I'll try and take more pictures tonight but I'm sitting at a 58.9mpg tank right now and that short trip might ruin it. :p

If they all look like yours then I would say we are likely not blinding other drivers as long as the headlights are aimed correctly. Nice blue cutoff btw.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I see the slight bow in his pic (the middle one that's the farthest away from the building).

As far as I know, I've never gotten flashed and my hot spot is below the top of the trunk of a sedan and just at the lip with two people in the back. I mean you can eyeball it from that pic above and use the Cobalt on the right as a marker, right? I've driven behind police cars and they never pulled me over.

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. His beams do not appear to have much of a bow. I will check mine again in a different location and see what's up. Good to know the older models look fine with HIDs. Well, I'm still waiting for your night time shots... ;)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I'm desperately trying to think where I have a flat wall and a flat ground to go against (also doesn't help that I'm gaining daylight rapidly so I have to do it quite else I end up waiting til midnight before it's pitch dark lol)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

L
    O
    L

I've spent many evenings searching for a good wall. Cops have stopped me for looking suspicious. :D

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You owe me a warm-up cycle :p.

And yes, they bow out but I've never noticed it until now when I pointed it against a large, flat wall. It's so far out (at least 3 or 4 parking stalls over)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. realbug

realbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just installed a plug n play HID kit tonight and noticed the exactly same problem. Mine came from xenon supply and costed me around $100, which shouldn't be cheap bulbs I assume. I think it's the light housing causing the problem.

1 person likes this.
  15. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, I think it is the optics that are the problem. They were designed for halogen bulbs, and the HID bulbs probably throw their light around inside there differently than the halogens do.

Do the make a light fixture that is specific for the HID application?

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're using bottom of the barrel HIDs, right? Could just be due to the different HIDs.

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was worried if I went somewhere with one of the rent-a-cop security people, that I'd get hassled. Luckily, that building was 1/10th mile up the road from me at a small medical center. The ground wasn't perfectly level, but it was pretty darn close!

Those are the 5000k bulbs in mine.

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not for the gen3........its either halogen or LED.

19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At this point I'm not convinced that its the HID bulb.
    Yes cheap bulbs mess up the output.
    Yes HIDs have different optics.

The problem is not the HID bulb or even the optic of the projector. The problem with this specific issue is the cutoff shield. Here is a pic I took this morning leaving for work. The street light was throwing the amber look but you can still see how the left side of the cutoff bows up & I still have the halogen bulbs in. For some reason these projectors were designed with 2 steps in the cutoff. The bowing that we are seeing is a direct result of the 2nd step.

[​IMG]

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sort of. They are DDM bulbs. As usual these bulbs put out more blue-tinted light than I care for but I expected it with these bulbs. When cash is available I will try a better bulb that better represents the 5000K rating. :mad:

it's ok if the ground isn't super level. As long as you capture the full spread then you can visually compensate for that. Maybe just tilt your head. LOL

I should have taken a picture on my garage door this morning when I left. Like yours, it makes the bow appear amplified because it is closer to the car. It looks like a big smile. :)

I'm very interested in seeing what the cutoff shield looks like. This seems like such an odd design but I'm sure it makes sense to the designer.