1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hid failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by N3FOL, Mar 6, 2011.

1. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 08 recently showed problems with my HID bulbs. I've read about this many times in this forum and now it is happening to my own Prius. Problem: right side or left side would go out...but everytime I turn Off then to On my headlight switch, both lights will go back on.

I called my shop dealer about the problem and stated to me that they will replace my HID headlights since I qualify within their 5 year under 50K warranty.

Is this what dealers normally do for HID problems or is their any other unit they should replace?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In the vast majority of cases the bulbs are the only thing that need to be replaced. What you describe is exactly the symptom of failing bulbs. New bulbs are all that you need. Be on guard about your dealer pushing other repairs while you are there.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is now that Toyota lost the class action lawsuit.

Tom

4. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    now that i've replaced both HID bulbs myself, i urge others to purchase bulbs on e-bay for $50/pair and install on their own. use either 4300K (Stock) or 5000K (a bit whiter w/out the annoying blue haze).

it's a simple/effortless process if you follow the directions/suggestions listed on the PRIUSCHAT website.

i now can change out a pair of bulbs in under 30 minutes.

any recall event by Toyota is a means for the dealer to get you into their shop, then "tack-on" additional service work and keep your car for the entire day. it's expensive and inconvenient.

do not let those "TROLLS" take your money.

WINNING!

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys for your input. All I plan to have them do is to replace both headlights and nothing else. I am a pretty heavy DIY and love to tinker with my cars....so I know what kind of curve ball they are about to throw at me.

To my understanding, this replacement will be done under warranty.

I will need to reschedule at an earlier time, because it got dark in front of going to work in the morning.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So today I took the car to have both bulbs replaced. TheToyota warranty is 5 years or 50000 miles...car is below that. It took them almost an hour - no charge on the work. Now, my headlights don't go out any more (for how long?@-_-).

7. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 08 Prius with HID's on 2/5 and the car came with a complete coverage warranty for so many days from the dealer. On the Drive home the Drivers HID was intermittent. I had it replaced. now 35 days later the Passenger was out. Turning the lights on and off would get it to turn on for a few seconds and then it went out again. I called the dealer and was informed i was out of warranty, and it was not covered under the standard warranty.

I doubled Checked the facts about the class action here, and had to call back the dealer and told them it should be covered under the 5yrs/50000 extension. I had to wait on hold for quite a while while they checked it out, but the did finally come back and say yes it is covered.

8. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My car's HID lights are doing the same thing as the OP's. After being on for a small amount of time, the drivers side goes out...cycle the OFF/ON switch, both come back on.

My question is, do I just change the drivers side bulb? Or is it better to change both at once?

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd do both at once so the color matches. Bulbs come in a pair anyway.

1 person likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you replace the failing bulb first. If you find that the new bulb produces light of similar color and brightness as the passenger side bulb, why replace the other bulb if it is still working well?

1 person likes this.
  11. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No problem! A few other reasons most people suggest changing both is that you can bet the other side is going to fail soon too. They are used at the same time and go through the same abuse and life. Finally, since your hands will already be dirty, why not just finish it and not have to worry about it for another 5 years?

13. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hold on there, friend. Be aware of the color temperatures. 10,000k is extremely purple which I highly doubt is what you want. 4300k is the stock color temperature (white with a hint of yellow). I personally prefer 5000k which is as white as you can get w/o blue. 6000k is blue, and anything higher you enter purple land.

You have a few more options in these. I don't know how good they are but this is closer to the specs I'd be looking at;
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00480J4KA?tag=priuschatcom-20

1 person likes this.
  15. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The driver's side is the easiest to replace. But go ahead and get two bulbs now. It will only be a few weeks/months before you lose the passenger side. Absolutely, you should have both replaced at once if you are taking it to a dealer/mechanic, so that the labor can be combined.

16. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks a lot MACMASTER05! Took your advice and ordered the "MAXLUX HID Xenon Bulb D2R 5000K (1 Pair, Pure Star White)" for $37 bucks. I thought by first glance it was only one bulb, but the ad says "pair". So this is a better deal.

Just thought I would let you know that your effort did help me out. Thanks again.

17. leftheaded

leftheaded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just dropped off my 2008 Prius for scheduled 45k mile service and was told that the HID replacement is NOT covered under warranty... and that the class action lawsuit is "still going on".

What do I need to do to help my Toyota dealer replace these under warranty? I hate to think I need to ask with a code word or find the right guy when the wind was blowing just the right way.... and he had his coffee.

If anyone knows of a dealer in the SF Bay Area that is doing this, that would help too.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks UGC. :D I hope it works out for you.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that's a lie. The lawsuit is over. You're under 50k miles, your HID headlight bulb is out. You qualify for the replacement under the class action lawsuit. What am I missing? Go back there and make a stink. :rockon:

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you said "still going on" I thought you meant they were "still honoring the outcome" not "the litigation is still in process." Shows you how egregiously dishonest or cluelesss they are, such that I couldn't even comprehend it.