1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight auto-level question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by barsaec2, Oct 17, 2015.

1. barsaec2

barsaec2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius. Last weekend I went under the car to "fix" the auto-leveler for the headlights. I was assuming a standard ball-point spring repair of the electrical part. However, once under the car I noticed that the metal rod which connects the sensor arm to the faux-axle support was broken. I was able to move the headlights to a higher position, but now its fixed, and not moving per the load of the vehicle.

I'm looking for the part number of the rod that connects the sensor arm to the axle.

Thanks!

--Chris

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The short rod with the ball joint at either end is not available as a separate part. If you get hold of a tailgate gas strut from a breakers yard"off almost any car" you can make a longer lasting replacement.

Remove the plastic ball joint cups from the gas strut and join them together with a length of threaded rod or long bolt with the head chopped off. Adjust the length to be the same as the broken part after removing it off the ball joints. You will find one end seized on the ball and that is what causes it to break. Clean the balls and grease then push the the home made link onto them. This will last as long as the car.
    The alternative is to buy the complete assembly that in the UK is £275 so US price is probably $400 for something that is likely to do the same thing again.

John

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess occasional check and relube of the joints would be worthwhile.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree, but about the only way to do this successfully would be to dismantle both ends completely.
    There are some small dirt shields that are supposed to keep dirt and water out, but being so close to the rear wheel they get everything thrown at them. The rod itself with the cups on the end is a cheap zinc casting that fatigue breaks easily, and corrodes in contact with the steel ball joints.
    Using plastic cups on the ball stops this happening. Just look at the condition of tailgate strut joints and the heavy load that they carry.

John

5. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My rod is broken but I believe that very stiff action in the potentiometer (Massachusetts car) caused it. Before fabricating a new rod, verify that this was the cause, and not the result, of the failure.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Maybe it's hard to relube, I agree. Guess just a periodic check that it's moving freely would be good tho. The sweet thing is you can get to this without even jacking the car up. Unless you're really burly, lol.