1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID headlight ballast / relay / fuse issue after replacing inverter coolant pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ryguy, Apr 23, 2023.

1. ryguy

ryguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a problem I was having after replacing the inverter coolant pump on my Prius. I want to post this to help other clueless people out there, as I was. I am HORRIBLE with cars/tools so I'm hoping this will help someone in the same boat when searching the forums later. When I was replacing my pump, I noticed DIRECTLY after I was done,the passenger side HID headlight was no longer working. On advice of searching the forums, I replaced both headlights. Still, the passenger side headlight wasn't coming on, at all. I was unbelievably frustrated at this point and wanted to just get rid of the car because it seemed like one issue after another. When I was replacing the AM2 fuse, which routinely blows on the inverter coolant pump, I noticed that the fusebox was looking a little rough, so that was the first place I started when the headlight didn't work. Checked all the headlight-related fuses and all were good. Despite this, after changing the bulbs, I decided before I buy a new ballast, which was the next recommended step on the forums... I said, you know what... I'm going to replace every damn fuse in this box because fuses are cheap and this box is looking rough. Replaced all of the fuses with a CHEAP kit I got an amazon for like 8 bucks. Tried the headlights and BOOM, it worked. I also read another post from another user on the forums that said she put a new headlight bulb AND ballast from the DEALER on her prius after the coolant pump blew and was still having these problems. Listen, I don't know ANYTHING about cars, but seriously REPLACE ALL of the fuses under the hood. It's dirt cheap to do and could save you a lot of money.

SFO and ColoradoCrow like this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Either that or get a meter and check for voltage on the appropriate fuse. Shotgunning it can cost more than a mechanic would charge. By ten times possibly.

3. ryguy

ryguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's probably the right way to do it, but if they're like me and don't mess around with tools or cars hardly at all, they might not have one.