1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID Headlight Bulb Replacement (ouch!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cairo94507, Jul 16, 2008.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, So my '05 has 88K on it and night before last my driver's side headlight bulb went out. Actually it was still on but dull and kind of yellow in color. So I thought well that will probably be about $200. I took the car to Dublin Toyota and was told the cost would be approximately $545 to replace the bulb. They estimated the bulb at $320 and labor at about $225 because they have to pull the front bumper cap off, remove the headlight, replace the bulb, reinstall the headlight and the front bumper cover. I was like come on, my last car (Porsche 993 C4S) had the HID lights and it didn't come close to that to replace a bulb. None the less when I went to pick it up the bill was $569.14 for a headlight bulb installed. THAT is just stupid.

I was talking to my brother, and he told me next time to call him because when they get wrecked cars into his shop which are ultimately totaled, they sometimes keep the headlight bulbs (HID) if they are not destroyed in the accident. So I will do that next time and install the bulb myself as I have removed my front bumper a couple of times. It is pretty easy. Live and learn I guess but $569 for a bulb installed!

2. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy the capsules from eBay and replace them yourself. It's a lot cheaper. You don't need to pull the bumper cover if you are clever, as I understand. There is a write-up about it somewhere on the forum.

Tom

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips; that was the one and only (HID) bulb I will buy from Toyota!

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh come now!

I'm sure they'll sell you a dome light for well under a hundred bucks!

;-)

6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I stand corrected (and so does my posting).

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The ones on the site don't match the OEM specs - 4300K 35W D2R. Plus, their info is incorrect in that is says there are no HIDs on 2001 - 2005 (Toyota Xenon HID Bulbs & Info). Maybe true for the 2001-2003 but not for 2004-2005. I'm not feeling a lot of confidence.

Windstrings bought a pair of D4Rs for a 2006 on EBAY (business seller, not a private person with a couple of spares), reports no problems. Here is the link for the D2R: eBay Motors: NEW 4300K HID 35W Xenon OEM Replacement Bulbs D2R (item 330209410832 end time Aug-01-08 10:40:21 PDT)The seller is stillenmaxima98 and the part is "NEW 4300K HID Xenon Kit Bulbs 2 Bulbs OEM D2R or D2S" in case the link goes stale.

$60 plus $10 shipping per pair. I don't know if their actual life will be different than the ones that come from Toyota, but at that price, you can change both headlights 5 times yourself before you equal the price Toyota wants for ONE bulb before installation.

And other posts say "Yes, you can replace them from inside the engine compartment, no bumper removal needed". Might have to move the washer tank and/or fuse box a bit if your hands don't fit in easily. There is a vertical air channel piece on the passenger side you do need to remove. It has only one fastener, similar to the ones that hold the plastic piece that runs across the front of the compartment (the one with the hood release catch).

8. jrmason

jrmason New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow!!

$569 is way too much:eek:! Here is my experience with Toyota and their HID bulbs. I bought my Prius used with 27K miles. Within the two months the passenger side bulb went out. It would come back on by turning the light switch on and off but would eventually go out again.

Figuring it could be a ballast or a bulb:nerd:. I took the initiative and swapped bulbs from side to side. It took about an hour to do it. (I took my time and cleaned the contacts on the bulbs) I did take the washer tank out from the passenger side to make it easier.

Shortly after the swap the bulb that was in the passenger side, now in the driver side went out just like it did before. Since it was under warranty I brought it to Toyota and let them change it. He was done in like 10 minutes. Of course the driver side is easier to get at.

A couple of months go by and we drive the car to Great Lakes IL. Now I see the passenger side bulb go out in the same manner:eek:. I'm thinking, Great! now I have to deal with this out here. Luckliy the Toyota garage in Northbrook IL had a bulb in stock and was willing to do it while I waited. I checked with two other Toyota garages before and was treated very poorly:confused:. I have to give them a plug here they were fantastic getting my car back on the road for me.

Here is the thing, I'm expecting an hour wait or so. They took the car in within a few minutes. In the time it took me to walk around to the other Prius' on the lot and back to see my car it was done. Something like 10 min max. I'm serious, the tech must have extremely small hands because he was done in minutes. So fast in fact, I was doubting they replaced it at all :rolleyes:. But, all has been good. I saw no signs of damage to the car, brackets or anything. Everything was just where it should be.:hail:

So, when you dealer says they need to take the bumper off tell them to call the tech at Northbrook Toyota www.northbrooktoyota.com:first: and ask to speak with the tech about how he replaces bulbs on a Prius.

Jon Mason
    Still impressed!
    :D