1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HID headlight flickers then goes out...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dpeverhart, May 21, 2014.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have an '08 Prius Touring with HID headlights (I think that's what they're called). The drivers side comes on for about 5 seconds then flickers and goes out. I tried another used HID bulb that works fine in another Prius and it does the same thing. My understanding is this is a common issue with these cars and can be difficult to remedy.

My question is, would it be difficult to switch out the HID's and install halogens? What parts would have to be replaced and is this a reasonable solution?

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it happens with another bulb that works from another car. Then the issue is the ballest is bad. Unfortunately your out if the extended warranty for coverage by toyota

iPhone ?

3. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far these are the worst hid types I've ever used. D4r. Sucks. I can't even get good stuff from the retro source as they don't carry this? Anyone know if the d2s will work instead. From my understanding there is a different notch placing and the d2s is a straight light vs reflective which is the d4r

iPhone ?